Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Ride/Event Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Site Admin

Arrow Portland Bridge Pedal

Who's going and which ride?

They say they're going to fix a few bugs uncovered last year.

It's a unique opportunity for PDX cyclist!

Hope to see you there.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy I wish I could attend...

My Dad is celebrating his 18th Birthday again (it's his 42nd time doing so). So, I'm going to the Oregon Coast to participate in the celebration... When I get back, I've got to go to work...

So, this year, no Kenny (the 7' long Velo-saraptor (genus Bicyclasaurus) made from balloons attached to my trailer.

Photo by J. Maus

Sorry
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-08-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Site Admin

Smile

I'll be there with my merry band of friends-- we're doing the 37-mile, 11-bridge option.

I'll be wearing my 2008 Fat Cyclist jersey (new! Improved! Makes you 76% faster, and 84% better looking! More laterally stiff and vertically compliant!). If you see me, say hi! Introduce yourself!

Of course, the folks I'm with will to their best to average 16+mph over the entire ride; buncha numbers geeks.

And then.... the Bite!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-08-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added post icon
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Chilly Willy

My wife and I are celebrating our Anniversary on Sunday, so we're taking it easy (Family Ride) so we have something left in the tank afterwards.

We both have clunky commuter bikes and are used to doing lots of short (4-5 mile) rides during the week- even though we rack up 100+ miles in a typical week, I think the longer rides would kill us.

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 08-08-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Site Admin

I'm waiting it out this year to see if the bugs are really gone. Last year was miserable.

But I have to work this weekend, so I'll be watching the whole thing from my office. I've got a pretty good view of 7 or 8 of the bridges from the 23rd floor.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Site Admin

I'll be directing traffic somewhere by the west end of the Ross Island Bridge. Look for the guy with the goofy grin and the straw hat.

Have fun!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Site Admin

Well, this will be my first Bridge Pedal, so I'm starting big with the 11-bridge ride, starting at 7:00 am.

There's nothing too noteworthy about my bike, but you might be able to spot my Sheldon Brown-esque helmet ornament. Have a fun ride and don't forget to introduce yourself.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Site Admin

It'll be my first time, and honestly I am a little nervous. Mostly because of my bike. A red, schwinn fixy with no brakes. If you see me, feel free to chastise.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Site Admin

Talking This was a good ride! '08 PBP is in the books.

Raring to go and wating for the start. This year's 11 bridge early participants learned about *pre-start* or more aptly... false start... but a pile of people gazed upon the Fremont bridge for nearly 25 minutes until all the streets were cleared and the okay came back from organizers.

The temps this morning were great. Got down to the shorts and t-shirt right off the bat. No layering today! And daylight was well upon us... well, dawn was well underway before we were. Could not have been a better day for a ride!

I got to keep up with the pace car for a minute as the first rize wasn't too bad but next was the actual bridge climb... okay... climb for a recumbent... but the rush of the downhill onto 405 was in a word *EXCELLENT*... and I had a chance to catch my breath.

The route was fairly uneventful and going was smooth and the wonderful volunteers were right there to wave and smile. Someone needs to talk to Rozy... did someone tell the Portland PD not to smile or wave to the participants [some did!]? Anyway, everyone *else* waved back and some section had very enthusiastic volunteers. Great to see so many smiles cheering us on!

Although there was an attempt to keep groups from merging... the nearly 20 minute delay for the 11 bridge riders, the 8 bridge riders were again well merged at the Hawthorne bridge. It was really nice that both lanes of the Ross Island bridge were used for participants this year [YAE!]. Overall, I think the merge was reasonable and the combined group stretched out as the ride went on.

For me, the highlight of the of the ride is always the ST. John's bridge. Unfortunately there was only one lane reserved for PBP and both the 8 and 11 bridge groups were working on the climb to the bridge. Non the less, it is a spectacular view of the city! Lots of photo ops on the sidelines and still had room for a side by side traverse.

The Willamette Blvd route is always a nice section through the *burbs* and kids were on hand to wave and cheer. That section could be *a lot* longer for my pleasure.

So several of us actually did the *12* bridge ride as we needed to cross back over to get to our cars. Kind of strange... the start was at Kerby and the finish at Naito... so that meant that we got to do the Steel bridge as well.

Today I logged 39 miles... and according to reports... the second recumbent across the finish... and the first trike. I'll take this with a grain of salt if anyone wishes to claim better... I hit the finish at 9:32 according to my GPS.

Over all... I think this event was a success!
I feel quite good about being a part of this unique ride... 3 years now!

Last edited by Simple Nature; 08-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Site Admin

The 2008 Bridge Pedal was way better than last year.

Riding across the 405 bridge and down the freeway (!) to the Marquam was amazing. All lanes bikes on the freeway. Just awesome.

One lane of bikes on highway 30 was the only place that didn't work very well. Too many bikes and not enough room!! That's the one place I'd urge the organizers to take more room away from the cars and trucks.

Seeing all those bikes on all those bridges was a real treat. Everyone I saw appeared to be having a good time, really friendly.

There were still the same problems you get when you mix a huge crowd of riders of mixed abilities... this year, I saw more people on cell phones while riding than ever. Dangerous! Hang up!! I agree with the commentors on the blog post that the organizers should at least post something on their web site about proper ride etiquette-- slower vehicles keep right, look before turning or merging, signal your intentions... stuff like that.

And yeah, I also ended up with 12 bridges, as we parked up by Emmanuel (although not in their visitors lot, I thought that would be rude-- there are sick people there, and families and friends visiting need a place to park), so my ride ended up being just over 40 miles.