Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Site Admin

Cool Another Media Blunder

This morning, Fri, Aug 8th... 7:50AM
KPTV FOX 12 News

Traffic guy:
noting a bicycle riding on one of the HWY217 ODOT traffic cams...
"...not only is it dangerous but it is illegal!"

Anyone know how to get the footage and correct the blunder?

http://www.kptv.com/contact/index.html
If you heard it this morning, please let them know.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 08-01-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Are you *TRYING* to get me KILLED!!!!‏

Sent this to KPTV

Quote:
ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME KILLED!!!!‏
Sent: Fri 8/01/08 9:13 AM
To: fox12news@kptv.com

I was told today by my boss that I was on KPTV, and Tony Martinez said something about me.

For the last two years I regularly, and LEGALLY!!!, commute to and from work on Hwy 217 by bicycle. I'm surprised that someone hasn't come out and interviewed me yet, but today I hear that Tony said that I was ILLEGALLY and Dangerously riding on the freeway...

Tony... When did you attend the BTA's Legal Clinic put on by Ray Thomas? Have you ever read the book Pedal Power? Have you even READ the Law? No? Well, you should refrain from making blanket statements like that until you do! Your statement will lead to more intimidation by motorists that now may think that I'm in the wrong. Read the Law!!!

http://www.stc-law.com/freewayright.html

Quote:
We Have A Right To The Freeway,But Which Freeway?

Ray Thomas, Attorney at Law

You may recall that several years ago, I wrote about a bicyclist who was stopped by an officer for riding his bicycle on Interstate 5. For those of you who may need a refresher and those of you who may be wondering "What are my rights regarding riding on the freeway?" I have included below the exact language of the rule governing the prohibition of non-motorized vehicles on our freeways:

12. SELECTED OREGON ADMINISTRATIVE RULES (OAR) THAT PERTAIN TO BICYCLISTS & PEDESTRIANS:
Prohibition of Non-Motorized Vehicles on Freeways
734-20-0045 (1) Non-motorized vehicles are prohibited upon the following segments of freeways within the State of Oregon:
(a) Portland area:
(A)The Columbia River Highway No. 2 (Banfield/I-84) from its intersection with I-5, MP 0.00, to 122nd Avenue, MP 10.25, east bound, and to Sandy Boulevard, MP 15.14, west bound;
(B) The Sunset Highway No. 47 easterly of the Jefferson Street Interchange, MP 73.35;
(C) Interstate 5 (Hwy. No. 1) from the Beaverton-Tigard Highway Interchange, MP 292.20, to the Delta Park Interchange, MP 306.70;
(D) Interstate 205 (Hwy No. 64) northerly of the Overcrossing of the Oswego Highway No. 3, MP 8.82;
(E) Interstate 405 (Hwy. No. 81) in its entirety; and
(F) Lower Columbia Highway No. 2W from its intersection with I-405, MPE0.00, to 23rd Street, MP 1.99.
(b) Medford area: Interstate 5 (Pacific Highway No. 1) from the Barnet Road Interchange, MP 27.58, to the Crater Lake Highway Interchange, MP 30.29 (in Medford).
(2) The closure of the above sections to nonmotorized vehicles shall become effective following the erection of adequate signing.

Please note that paragraph (2) provides that "adequate signing" is necessary in order to give non-motorized users notice of the closure. This means that the signs warning us off of the road must actually be in place before we are required to use an alternative route. No sign, no ticket.
Riders familiar with the prohibited sections of roadway will probably agree, however, that no one would want to be on these sections of highway without thick sheetmetal surrounding their vulnerable bodies. One of my worst riding experiences involved trying to go eastbound from the top of Sylvan hill in Portland down to the Jefferson Street off ramp on the Sunset Highway, Highway 26. This section of road is supposed to be open for non-motorized users until the Jefferson Street off ramp (see the rules above, OAR 734- 20-045(1)(a)(B). However, the area is narrow with little room for vehicles outside the main traffic lanes. This is an area where drivers simultaneously attempt to slow down and maneuver into the correct lane before they enter the Sunset tunnel. As I rocketed down the steep hill trying to keep my aching hands from cramping while I held tightly onto my brakes I remember saying to myself: "So this is what it feels like to get caught in a stampeding herd of cattle!" It was an unpleasant scary experience.
If anyone is hassled about riding on lawful roadways, cite the "offending officer" to the OAR; knowledge is power.

I ride on Hwy 217 because it is:
a) Legal
b) Safer than Surface Streets
c) More Direct
c) faster

I'd love to see 217 get a parallel route to it like the Hwy 205 bike path, but I'm told that "it's too expensive... nobody will use it" by every person I've approached... Until I get a legal path offstreet, or streets that are to my desire, I will continue to ride on Hwy 217

I want to make sure that Mr. Martinez gets a copy of this... I want a retraction.

Seriously Concerned for my own Protection

Name
address

phone
I've now notified them that bikeportland has already caught this media blunder.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-01-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Site Admin

Of all people to erroneously criticize -- K'Tesh!!
This guy does more to promote responsible cycling practices and improve the safety of roads for cyclists than anyone I know of! Keep rolling, K'Tesh!

Quote:
Thanks Cruizer, I needed that... - K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

Default Washington

I, too ride the freeway from time-to-time as do others that I know. I mainly ride Highway 14 from Camas west to 192nd Avenue in Vancouver.

Currently the only freeway in Clark County with a bicycle ban that I know of is I-5 between the Columbia River and the I-205 interchange north of Vancouver. I-205 and Highway 14 are legal at this time. Highway 14 westbound from 164th Avenue to Lieser, and eastbound from Ellsworth to 164th Avenue, may become illegal due to the I-205 interchange and it's double-lane ramps and heavy traffic.

It's dangerous crossing double-lane on-ramps or off-ramps at these larger interchanges. We are working on getting better bicycle signage and route markings to help cyclists navigate past dangerous areas. In many cases a cyclist can ride the off-ramp and re-enter the freeway using the on-ramp, thus avoiding crossing the double-lane ramps.

Steve
Old 08-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Honey instead of vinegar, man. It was probably an honest mistake made out of ignorance. Is a retraction warranted? Sure. But you don't have to bite the guy's head off about it. Dude was just trying to make morning chitchat. Have you seen that show? It's 90% bs and chitchat, intermixed with the occasional weather forecast.

A simple note saying:

"Hey, you know you're a little inaccurate about bikes on the highways, it's only prohibited in certain sections by law *attached section*. Bicyclists enjoy our outdoors riding legally along city streets and highways all across the state. The highway section you observed on the air this morning is not among those prohibited by law. I'd like to see you clarify this observation on-air in order to prevent misunderstanding among your viewers. Thank you."

All the stuff on the end about how you'd obviously prefer and off-road path, but you make do w/ the highway because the city won't pay for it.

would have a higher probability of gaining an immediate retraction (and maybe even read directly on the air) than coming out with both guns blazing.

At least that's how I'd consider it if I was the news chief reading the day's mail.

Last edited by wyeast; 08-01-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

Somehow I had a feeling that it was you they caught on camera, K'Tesh

Quote:
Morning commute: Southbound/Me or Daniel, Northbound/Ernie or Mark
Evening commute: Northbound/Me or Daniel, Southbound/Ernie or Mark
(But Daniel and Mark are rarer appearances... I once caught a guy on a BMX heading the SB on the NB shoulder at night while wearing dark clothes... I called the cops) - K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-02-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Site Admin

wyeast.. I did drop a note online in a tactful manner just to point out the error and to notify that this error was posted here on the forum. But since K'Tesh was pretty much accused of breaking the law, I think he has a right to be a little more *upity* about it.

I was hoping that *maybe* channel 12 could do a piece on cycling life on the West side... it really sucks over here for the most part. We're always playing dodge-car. When people resort to riding on the freeway, there must be a deeper story in there somewhere; you'd think!

Haven't gotten anything back in my email from them yet. Keep us posted, K'Tesh.

Quote:
Dodge car... I like that description... Very accurate! Sucks when you get tagged too... - K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-02-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Site Admin

...BTW... media has a civic responsibility... ignorance that reeks of arrogance is no excuse!

In my opinion, this reporter has a grudge to bare with cyclists just in the way it came across. I don't pay much mind to stuff like this but this one chilled me to the bone.

...and I would have never known about it had I not been a Portland Bike Forum member

Quote:
I've never felt that Tony has a grudge against cyclists, I've seen him often compliment cyclists for their dedication when they are riding across the 205 bridge (I only have to listen to traffic on one side of me). - K'Tesh
EDIT: Okay, I may have overstated this a whee-teeny-bit... I 'll withdraw the arrogance and grudge comment. Sorry Tony! You rock!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-05-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
But since K'Tesh was pretty much accused of breaking the law, I think he has a right to be a little more *upity* about it.
I don't begrudge him for being uppity about it. I'm just being the diplomacy advocate.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post

In my opinion, this reporter has a grudge to bare with cyclists just in the way it came across.
I don't think (or at least he doesn't normally seem to come across as) Tony Martinez has a specific anti-bike agenda. He seems to be more of the sort to jump excitedly over any potential "danger" on the road... sorta the trait of the job.

I think he was just annoyed that someone's crazy-bright bike lights were blinding the traffic cams along 217.

Quote:
Actually, I DID have the TriNewt on today, the grey skies and an oblivious motorist cutting me off (while they were pulling out of a parking lot) had me feeling that some additional visibility was in order... - K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-02-2008 at 12:56 AM.