Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Site Admin

Default 3-in-1 - all other cyclists

Riding home yesterday, downtown to Sellwood, about 7pm. Rough time:

1. I'm going through the (green) light at fourth and Main. Some kid on a mini-bike is going downhill (toward the river) on the sidewalk at 25-30 mph and decides to blow through the intersection. After running the red light/pedestrian signal, he is headed straight for me as I go through the intersection. At the last second, he sees me and jams on the brakes. He skids to a stop mere feet from me. Had he hit me, I likely would have been seriously injured, as he was really moving.

2. Guy in the next block is riding parallel to me in the middle lane. I'm passing him in the left lane. He decides it's time to make a left and just cuts in front of me, crossing my lane to go left without even looking behind him. Had I been 6 feet closer, he would have T'd me just like the first guy, though at lower speed.

2. Same as #2, except the guy is turning left from the south-bound bike lane on SE4th to hit Clinton at the Springwater-Esplanade gap. Turns left right in front of me without even looking.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Site Admin

a_o,
The idiots were sure out last night. Glad you weren't hurt. Your experiences serve as a good reminder to always be prepared for the unexpected.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Site Admin

#2 & 3 - This is why I call out "on your left" every time I'm about to pass, whether I'm close to the person or not. Perhaps you could remind them that you're there?

Quote:
Or you could use your bell - K'Tesh
Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Site Admin

In number 2 and 3, it is the person's responsiblity to check behind them before changing lanes. The lanes are there for passing. This is one case where people should not need reminding or warning. Its not like passing people on the sidewalk or squeezing through on the bike lane.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Site Admin

I forget that I may not have said this here in some time, but I have a big bell. I ring it often. I virtually always ring it when passing and I use it frequently to let people know where I am - so much so that if I ever pass you, you may realize it's me. I use the bell heavily to avoid the type of outcome that nearly occurred here.

On the first near left-hook, I was in a different lane already - a full-size lane over to the person's left - so there was no obligation or apparent need to give a signal. On the second one, we had just completed a right turn and I was about to begin signaling when I got cut-off.

I agree that people are obligated to signal when they pass. They are also obligated to look back before moving abruptly left.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Site Admin

Cool ...and about Joggers

And I thought I was annoyed when I keep running into joggers [figuratively!] who are running in bike lanes the wrong way. I suppose I should count myself lucky after reading these posts