Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

Default How to turn six bike parking slots into one

This is the lone bike rack at Crystal Springs Rhododendron garden, which is listed on the Portland Parks & Recreation website as a joint venture of PP&R and the rhodie society. So, it's a public asset.
It's bad enough to unnecessarily deprive Portlanders of an asset we paid for, but adds insult to do it with an outhouse. Bike access is literally less important than crap.
The nice people working there said they were also flabbergasted by the stupidity, but said there are no plans to change this outrage till end of summer i.e. when it's too late for most visitors this year. Dan Saltzman is commissioner in charge of parks. Here's the contact page for PPR: http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?c=39160

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-28-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: deleted attachment, uploaded the image
Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Chilly Willy

Default I dones droven here, so's you!

Is there a hiring rule that says Municipal and Utility "Workers" have to have a grudge against bicyclists?

I see crap like that constantly on the west side, care of Washington County, Verizon, and the letters P,G, and E.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Less important than human waste...

Yeah, I like that. Why didn't they choose to reduce the number of polluting visitors (i.e., an automobile parking place) to put the blue room?

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Site Admin

Sounds like someone needs to buy a couple of extra long cable locks and make sure that sucker is securely locked up to the bike racks... as in, all the way around, tight as possible.

Or, lock a bike in front of the doors, in the above suggested method....

I mean, if they won't move it, and that's a bike parking spot....

Alternatively, find someone with a truck and a tow rope, and pull it out of the way. Port-o-johns slide pretty easily, if you use the right muscle. Make sure you wrap the tow rope kinda low so it doesn't tip, that's gross.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Site Admin

Not that I am advocating it, but this seems to be a perfect oppurtunity for a new sport:
Urban Cow Tipping
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Site Admin

Brettoo, help us out here....The angle the picture was taken from can't show what's on the other side of the outy. So is there something that prevented the facility from being placed 3-4 feet from the bike rack?

Haven, you might just have the best idea of all; just move the sucker over a little bit if there isn't anything on the other side. 2-3 people ought to be able to do it if hasn't mysteriously become Portland's most popular outy and thus filled to capacity.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Site Admin

Sorry I didn't get a better photo angle. I'd filled up the memory card with pictures of waterfowl and flowers.
I seem to remember that there is a manhole cover on the other side of the outhouse that would be covered if it moved too far over, but I also seem to recall that there was room to move it at least 2-3 feet away to provide room for bikes to fit through the rack. It might take an extra 2 minutes of maneuvering to place it just right but apparently bike access isn't worth it.
And remember that this is just one small part of a pretty big parking lot. As someone above suggested, if there's no other spot on the grass available (which I doubt), then why not just take over a couple of car slots? Assuming two passengers plus a driver per car equals six people deprived of parking, or about as many bikers now deprived. Only 3 out of, I dunno, a couple dozen or so were occupied when I visited.
Or if it's so important that the outhouse be right there, then move the bike rack! There's certainly plenty of other spaces for it.
Also, the person working the entrance desk said that in the past, they have put the outhouse down without blocking the bike rack.
I should mention that I did email PP&R and am awaiting a reply.
Oh and thanks to k'tesh for putting the attachment in the post. I was in a hurry and didn't take time to figure out how to do it.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Site Admin

I had a similar problem at the Fisher's Landing Fred Meyer in Vancouver. It wasn't a porta-potty, but out in the garden section, there were those fertilizer-spreading push carts locked up behind the bike rack. Taking up the entire space from the rack to the wall, it turned a rack with a capacity for a good six or eight bikes into one with a capacity for one or two—not a well secured one or two bikes, might I note.

I informed customer service a few times before talking with the manager. It took a good couple of months to get rid of them. At least it shows that they work well for locking things to. Now if only those things could be bikes.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Site Admin

I haven't been to Crystal Springs in a long while. It can be a busy place when there's an event on, so they probably need those parking spaces. It just occurred to me though....I sure hope that isn't the only bike rack in the park. Now that would be really stupid if it was.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Site Admin

Just got a nice response from the PP&R staffer, the relevant part of which goes:
"When I go to the park to do my
inspection I drive in the service entrance, look over the park, talk
to employees, chat with the volunteers, go to the booth to answer
problems or concerns. I never noticed where the new company had put
the porta- potties.
With your e-mail I went to CSRG today and called the company. They
told me that if the employee was still in the area they would have it
moved today, if they have already left the area they will be back on
Friday to clean and moved on Friday."

If anyone gets over there this week or next (and it's a very pretty place), please let us know if they moved it. It's great to be able to praise a city employee for being so responsive so quickly. She also pointed out that there's another bike rack that's so old fashioned that many don't recognize it as even being a bike rack. I confess I didn't notice it, but of course she recognized that doesn't justify blocking a modern bike rack that the city paid to install. Anyway, looks like this story will have a happy ending. We'll see.