Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Site Admin

Default when animals attack, continued

A dear friend of mine, riding her bike home from a late night in the studio at UC Berkeley Architecture school, had a close encounter with a skunk. She was riding along, when our friend Pepe lePew ran out into the road. She was able to avoid crashing, but did impact the skunk in some way, who was able to still run away. She had to throw away her shoes, though, which were permanently skunked.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink Skunked feet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurameg View Post
A dear friend of mine, riding her bike home from a late night in the studio at UC Berkeley Architecture school, had a close encounter with a skunk. She was riding along, when our friend Pepe lePew ran out into the road. She was able to avoid crashing, but did impact the skunk in some way, who was able to still run away. She had to throw away her shoes, though, which were permanently skunked.
And I thought my feet stunk...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Site Admin

Default Bike tricks by Fred!

"My back wheel immediately skidded around 180, laying the bike down. I must have instinctively pushed off the ground with my arm because the next thing I know I am upright again, only rolling backwards at about 1 mph. I am so surprised at this I promptly fall over."

Fred - that is golden - yes the force is also strong in this one too!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Site Admin

Default my very first dose of humble pie...

Not sure if anyone will find this humorous – 19 years later, I'm finally seeing the humor in it.

I spent my senior year of high-school living in Cupertino CA. I was a fairly accomplished biathlete at the time and my best friend was becoming quite an accomplished bike racer. The two of us were tireless trainers and would get up before dawn 3-5 days a week to summit the Santa Cruz mountains on our road bikes before school started, and, like most high-school seniors, we thought we were pretty hot sh*t.

At the local coffee hang out (the Coffee Society for any ex-Bay Area folks) we knew this French ex-pat who was going to the local community college, and the first time he saw us on our road bikes he asked if he could join us for a ride some time (in his comically thick French accent). We were like, “Sure! Any time!” trying to be friendly, but privately we were a little reticent since the guy smoked like a chimney. He agreed to meet us the next morning for one of our dawn rides.

Next morning we found him at the meeting spot with a pretty sweet steel-framed French racing bike and about the most elegant riding outfit we’d ever seen (think Rapha back in the late 80’s). No helmet. Wearing a pair of very stylish specs – ah-la Lauren Fignon. Smoking a cigarette. We all took off towards the mountains and he was just chatty-Cathy the entire ride over. Riding in America was so terrible: the roads, the drivers, the scenery, blah blah. By the time we got to highway-9 my partner and I had both privately decided we needed to drop this guy the second the road turned up. Being polite, we stopped and explained to him that this was a 9 mile accent that crested at Summit road. He thanked us, and told us that he’d see us at the top. We all started up the hill…

…and then he dropped us. And I mean dropped us. Effortlessly. Never got out of the saddle. No sprint. No big acceleration. He just moved at a speed that was solidly 10+ mph faster than we were going for the next 9 miles. Like he was on a motorcycle. And we dug deep. We were absolutely NOT going to let some 5’ 5”, chain-smoking French guy drop us on OUR mountain! (18 year old cyclists generally don't know anything about strength to weight ratios) I’m not sure that I’ve experience more pain in any single cycling event than I experienced in those 9 miles. Tears were streaming down our cheeks – we both almost threw up. And there he went. Out of sight in under a minute. We never saw him again on the climb.

When we got to the top, he was quietly leaning against his top tube, taking in the view – smoking a cigarette (his 3rd). He was insufferable, “Zair you are! Eez zat eet?! Eez zair no more? Ziss is zee only climb, no?!” (I'm not kidding, he had a comically thick French accent) - If we weren’t both about to pass out, I think we could have happily murdered him. We headed back down the mountain straight away. He dropped on the descent as well.

We still saw him all the time at Coffee Society, but he never asked to go riding with us. Probably didn't want to waste his time with two such wheel-sucking American newbies. For our part, we certainly never brought it up again.

--
Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Memory lane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poser View Post
my very first dose of humble pie...
Reminds me of my experience riding with Dad...

On that subject, Dad told me me last night that he dragged out his old bike and dusted it off... and the tires still hold air. Mom's is still hanging in the garage, but not for much longer (she still has to finish getting her firewood out of it before she can reach it.)

Retirement must be fun...
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-31-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Using the Force...

Was about 16/17 at the time... riding in Ashland (EB), trying to get down Siskiyou Blvd to turn onto the street two blocks before Ashland High School. I was crossing the lane, looking back to see if there was any cars behind me (no bike lane, no crosswalk at the intersection). Drifted into the full height curb of the grassy island between EB and WB lanes. My little touring bike's tires tried to climb the curb, but failed... I was pitched headfirst (no helmet) off of the bike, did a complete roll and came up standing... A guy in an oncoming car saw the move... stopped, then said "I WAS going to ask if you are ok, but when you came up standing, I knew that you were..."

Wrenched the handlebars, scraped the paint... had to wash out the grass stains... biggest injury: Bruised Ego...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Fortune favors fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-31-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Default Damn those French!

LOL, Poser. That is a priceless story. How do those Frenchies do it? They chain-smoke filterless cigarettes, drink wine by the quart, eat cheese that is 90% butter fat, and are still consistently some of the best climbers, alpinists and cyclists in the world. Curse them!

I do miss those Santa Cruz mountain climbs, though. The West Hills aren't quite the same...

(For the record, I am half-french, but must have gotten all the genes that like to eat and drink, but none of the genes for athletic prowess.)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Site Admin

Default Talking about the French...

It's not quite as impressive as it used to be; the google search on "french military victories" used to go right to this page, but enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlf View Post
LOL, Poser. That is a priceless story. How do those Frenchies do it? They chain-smoke filterless cigarettes, drink wine by the quart, eat cheese that is 90% butter fat, and are still consistently some of the best climbers, alpinists and cyclists in the world. Curse them!

I do miss those Santa Cruz mountain climbs, though. The West Hills aren't quite the same...

(For the record, I am half-french, but must have gotten all the genes that like to eat and drink, but none of the genes for athletic prowess.)

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Face Plant

Maybe you had to be there, but one of my funniest bike moments took place just after I had left the saddle. I was approaching the front entrance of the building I was working in at the time, walking my bike, helmet unbuckled, along the sidewalk between the parking lot and the building. My bike is between me and the ivy-covered planted area in front of the building. Scene is now set. As I am walking along, I spy my manager through the window, so I smile and wave. Something about the waving upset my balance and my bike started to lean away from me into the planted area. Rather than just drop the bike, or throw my weight back, or something like that, all I can manage to do is freeze, put on a look of surprise mixed with resignation, and get slowly pulled down like a straight plank, landing on top of my bike in the ivy. My unbuckled helmet topples off of my head as the front of it hits the ground. My manager, who was talking (unbeknownst to me) to some higher-up muckety-muck, tries to avoid busting up laughing. May be the slowest-speed crash of all time.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attornatus_Oregonensis View Post
I stop, a good 50 yards away, and he stands up on his hind legs looking at me like, "WTF, dude?!" And I say aloud, to him, "Yeah, man, WTF was that?!"
Sorry, it had to be done...