Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Site Admin

Question Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelnite View Post
Back in my wild days of riding in Seattle there was a particularly nasty stretch in Ballard as you cross under Aurora Ave/Hwy 99.
This sounds suspicious to me. Aurora (or, as I like to call it, "Whoreora") goes through Fremont, not Ballard...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Site Admin

Smile sorry - it's the story that counts

That's why I'm not an attorney because I can't remember everything precisely.

But to defend my honor - oh great watcher of factuality:

I lived in Seattle 2.5 years - from 1989 - 1991. The year was 1990. I lived in the U-District behind the Last Exit Coffee shop and took some street (not "The Ave") that crossed I-5 and went up the hill heading (I think) through "Wallingford" (I think)... and eventually under Aurora avenue...

OK you are right - not Ballard, Wallingford... they both have freakin' LL's - I think Ballard was actually down the hill after you crossed under Aurora - but maybe not, who knows!?!? You do.

I worked at "Redi-National Pest Eliminators on Aurora Ave. I actually owned a pair of YELLOW spandex bike shorts...

I do remember that Queen Anne Hill was South of the U-District. Oh and I remember Green Lake - riding around it just near the area I am describing... Is this better? Can you trust me to take the stand now? I just needed some consultation so I could remember all the details... you know us sloppy non-legal types we're all obsessed with the feel and the emotion of the story... eff the facts! But fortunately you are here to set the record straight. Thanks!

OK is that good enough? Can the crossX end now? Can you just resign yourself Attornatus to enjoying the story knowing the guy telling it can hardly even remember what he had for lunch today!?!?

Last edited by beelnite; 07-18-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Stuff just kept coming back to me...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Site Admin

So two funny stories, one on a bike and one bike related:

First, I was riding one day along a MUP in Walla Walla, on my way to a longer rider along Waitsburg, when a squirrel bolted out from the right side (golf course was on my left-hand side) and was pacing me for a bit before making the stupid decision to try and bolt infront of me. My speed though carried me far enough forward that my rear wheel went over some part of the squirrel. I turned around and luckily the little guy wasn't there, so I think he was alright, but the guy I guess wanted to be a movie speed bump . . .

Then today:

I went to apply for a job at Bike 'N Hike on Grand and got to talking with the guy. He and I setup an interview for next week before he calmly was like, "Oh, by the way," points at the top of my cover letter, "This is Bike 'n Hike, not the Bike Gallery." I grabbed the paper from him and a pencil and quickly scratched it out. One of the employees was laughing in the corner and said, "Now lets talking about starting salary!" So I started trying to redeem myself when I referred to Bike 'n Hike as the Bike Gallery again. Ugh :/ Hopefully I will be forgiven.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Site Admin

Smile Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty175 View Post
I went to apply for a job at Bike 'N Hike on Grand and got to talking with the guy. He and I setup an interview for next week before he calmly was like, "Oh, by the way," points at the top of my cover letter, "This is Bike 'n Hike, not the Bike Gallery." I grabbed the paper from him and a pencil and quickly scratched it out. One of the employees was laughing in the corner and said, "Now lets talking about starting salary!" So I started trying to redeem myself when I referred to Bike 'n Hike as the Bike Gallery again. Ugh :/ Hopefully I will be forgiven.
I think this is funniest thus far - and by far! Much funnier than (my story of) the rabid squirrel. I think it's best summed up in a single word: "D'oh!" Been there.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Hmmm....again!

Wow, your Seattle geography *is* bad. Then again, I just did a little thought experiment and tried to remember the geography and street names of the place I lived in 1991 (Starkville, MS) and it was even worse than yours, so there you have it.

But, since you've discovered this personality flaw that causes me to be obsessed with detail, argumentative, pedantic, and suited solely for one profession, let me count the inaccuracies:

1. The Ave doesn't cross I-5. Perhaps you were not implying that it did, but your statement was ambiguous.

2. The Ave does go "up the hill," but whatever street you took would be moving parallel with Wallingford northbound, not going westward toward it. If you go up the hill from Wallingford, you get to Phinney Ridge. Perhaps that rings a bell.

3. I-5 goes through neither Ballard nor Wallingford, but Fremont - the Center of the Universe and home to The Troll, Vladimir Illich Lenin, Gasworks Park, Adobe, the Buckaroo, Dad Watson's, the Dubliner, the rowing club, the Fremont Fair, and the Solstice Parade (the original naked bike ride). I could go on and on here.

4. Queen Anne is more west of the U Dist than south, but a little south. Southeast. Across the Fremont Bridge, but not the one with the troll. So we'll give you that one.

5. Where were you on the night of...?

OK, that's it. Cross-exam over. There is in fact a place called Green Lake (due north of Wallingford) and you can in fact ride your bike around it, either on a path or on the road. As for the yellow spandex, TMI man! But Green Lake brings back a fond memory - Gregg's Green Lake Cycles is where I bought my first real road bike, after years of mountain biking. Rode the hell out of that thing around Seattle - and couldn't afford fenders!

I was in Seattle from 03 to 06. First Fremont, then Eastlake, then Wallingford, then West Seattle. All of it by bike. Going to (law) school at UW and working there too. So you can see I have a pretty unfair advantage on geography due to the recency effect.

And, of course, you're ultimately right: It's the story that counts. We should go for a ride sometime. I can tell from the stories you've told here so far that we'd probably have a good time. Maybe we could offer PDX some sorely-needed levity in the saddle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelnite View Post
That's why I'm not an attorney because I can't remember everything precisely.

But to defend my honor - oh great watcher of factuality:

I lived in Seattle 2.5 years - from 1989 - 1991. The year was 1990. I lived in the U-District behind the Last Exit Coffee shop and took some street (not "The Ave") that crossed I-5 and went up the hill heading (I think) through "Wallingford" (I think)... and eventually under Aurora avenue...

OK you are right - not Ballard, Wallingford... they both have freakin' LL's - I think Ballard was actually down the hill after you crossed under Aurora - but maybe not, who knows!?!? You do.

I worked at "Redi-National Pest Eliminators on Aurora Ave. I actually owned a pair of YELLOW spandex bike shorts...

I do remember that Queen Anne Hill was South of the U-District. Oh and I remember Green Lake - riding around it just near the area I am describing... Is this better? Can you trust me to take the stand now? I just needed some consultation so I could remember all the details... you know us sloppy non-legal types we're all obsessed with the feel and the emotion of the story... eff the facts! But fortunately you are here to set the record straight. Thanks!

OK is that good enough? Can the crossX end now? Can you just resign yourself Attornatus to enjoying the story knowing the guy telling it can hardly even remember what he had for lunch today!?!?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Site Admin

Default More unintended "prowess" (i.e. luck)

Beelnite's geographically vague handlebar flip made me remember a similar thing that happened to me years ago in Santa Cruz, CA. I was riding down one of the 8 zillion steep paved roads leading out of the mountains back into town after an MTB ride. I rounded a hairpin going around 20 or so and saw at the last second a big patch of gravel.

My back wheel immediately skidded around 180, laying the bike down. I must have instinctively pushed off the ground with my arm because the next thing I know I am upright again, only rolling backwards at about 1 mph. I am so surprised at this I promptly fall over.

I liken it to that rare golden moment when you are just the perfectly precisely right amount of drunk to shoot good pool. It only happens about every 10 years and it's impossible to do on purpose.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Site Admin

Default No way coincidence!

You seriously will not believe this... Attornatus but...

"OK, that's it. Cross-exam over. There is in fact a place called Green Lake (due north of Wallingford) and you can in fact ride your bike around it, either on a path or on the road. As for the yellow spandex, TMI man! But Green Lake brings back a fond memory - Gregg's Green Lake Cycles is where I bought my first real road bike, after years of mountain biking. Rode the hell out of that thing around Seattle - and couldn't afford fenders!"

I too bought a first bike at Gregg's - it was my first mountain bike. I can remember the sales guy kept calling it a "Gee-ahnt" and I don't know if he was just kidding around or thought I was totally fred (which I am). Anyway the Butte Giant also rode the streets of Seattle and a few mountain trails.

Yeah I think it was 45th or 43rd intersecting the Ave and crossing I-5 up to Walingford... where I crossed under Aurora I think just down the hill was Freemont. Oh it's been years.

Good times!

Hey a ride would be sweet - but right now I'm on said Giant converted to a commuter. The sweet road bike and weekend rides are on hold until the kids get a bit older and start riding. Anyway if you want a fred trucking along with you let me know and we can set up a fun forum ride!

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon - except maybe Seattle to get a look at the old hood.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Site Admin

Talking Being a Fred...

It ain't easy being a cyclist named Fred, but I am what I am. Early in my cycling life, I did a lot of touring. I'm sure I looked the stereotypical fred: too snug khaki touring shorts, unkempt beard, dorky immense Bell helmet, big long touring bike with overstuffed panniers, eyeglass mounted mirror, hairy legs.

One day I was riding down the Pacific Coast Highway, returning from Pescadero to Santa Cruz. Up ahead I saw a long paceline of lycra-clad riders. i realized I was gradually gaining on them so, feeling cocky, I sped up and caught them. I chatted briefly with the guy on the end and asked them where'd they'd ridden that day but didn't really pay attention to his response. Then I cheerily wished them a nice ride, stood up on the pedals like a big stud and rode off ahead of them, feeling like the cat's meow. At the bottom of the next hill, about 1/4 mile later, I hear the shzzzz, shzzzz of bike tires on the road and then the whole paceline went by and dropped me like I was standing in mud.
You could probably hear the air going out of me...

That weekend I was watching the Capitola Criterium and I realized that that paceline was the 7-11 pro team. The guy on the end was probably Bob Roll! In my mind, I replayed his description of their ride and realized they were spinning back into town after a 100+ mile training ride with about 10,000 feet of climbing. *sigh*
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Thanks, Fred,

for starting this thread. It's provides a nice break from the rants and close calls. Can't say I have anything really humorous to add to it; my rides are fun, just not funny. But I do encourage others out there to chime in.
wrinkles
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Site Admin

On Tuesday I was riding down to Sellwood via 9th/Mall/17th. When I was crossing Powell on the pedestrian overpass, I decided it would be a good place to stop for a second to enjoy a Clif Bar while watching rush hour traffic come off of the Ross Island Bridge. I had just finished a bar and I was about to continue riding when out of nowhere, a police officer on a motorcycle rides up the ramp to the pedestrian overpass. He stops and asks me if I was tagging the overpass. I told him I was just stopped to eat a snack and I went on my way.

Since when were motorcycles allowed on pedestrian overpasses? Maybe he was actually using it to get across Powell. Either way, it's a tad odd and slightly humorous.