Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Ride/Event Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Cycle Oregon 2009 route?

Does anyone know or have an inkling where the 2009 Cycle Oregon route will be? I'm trying to figure out if I will be asking my boss for the time off. Thanks
Old 06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Site Admin

Default Upcoming CO Routes are an Open Secret...

Is there any part of Oregon you would not want to ride?

Seriously, I would just plan on it. They announce the route at the kickoff in February, so if you really aren't interested in it, you'll have over six months advance warning to change your plans.

BTW although about half of their recent rides have been in the Blue Mountains (Joseph and vicinity), they're doing that in September, so we have to guess where else they might choose.. My money? It's been a while since they've done Central Oregon. (See the CO 13 route, which started in Paisley and ended up in Hood River.)

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!

Last edited by djasonpenney; 06-28-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Site Admin

Umm...didn't last year's route start and end in Sisters?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Site Admin

Default Sisters versus CO 13

Hmmm...yes, it started in Sisters but then--after the first day in LaPine--crossed over the Cascades and spent the remaining time on the west side of the mountain range (Diamond Lake/Crater Lake, Dorena Lake, Oakridge, Rainbow).

CO 13 was a true Central Oregon experience (can you say "headwinds"? There, I knew you could!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
Umm...didn't last year's route start and end in Sisters?

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!

Last edited by djasonpenney; 06-30-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: More CO details
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Site Admin

Hate to break it to you, but Crater Lake is in the middle of the mountain range, not the west side. It's much drier than the western faces of the Cascades. No argument on Dorena/Oakridge/Rainbow.

CO 20 spent days 1 & 2 on the east side (not just the first day - the trek west was at the END of day 2), day 3 at Crater Lake, days 4-6 on the west side of the Cascades, and day 7 climbing through Mackenzie pass, about half of which is "western" in character and half "eastern".

I'm betting CO 22 (2009) will be in SW Oregon, in part along the Rogue - that area hasn't been visited lately.