Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Site Admin

No pictures today—I was in a hurry.
A week ago or so on N Vancouver just to the north of Schmeer, there was a large bush/tree that completely blocking the southbound bike lane. I had called it in months before, and it was still here, even worse than ever. I pulled over and called it in to PDOT. Today I rode back over this way, and bam! Clear bike lane. Thanks PDOT!

Further up at 7525 N Vancouver, just north of Lombard, there was a house with two cars in the driveway, one of which was blocking the sidewalk. Even worse, there was a car parked half on the sidewalk and half in the bike lane. The cops were called and then they even asked me if I wanted it ticketed or towed. I didn't want to be too mean, so I just asked for the ticket. Let's just hope that there wasn't a veteran in a wheelchair coming down that sidewalk.

Then in back in Vancouver, there was a car parked in the bike lane at 3821 E Evergreen Boulevard. It just so happens that this is in a short, one-block stretch where the bike lane widens just enough to park a car. I often come home this way, and this is the third or fourth car I've seen in this very same block in the past couple of weeks. I did report the car, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Good Job jr98664...

Cool jr98664!

Thanks for the post, I was beginning to feel a bit lonely here...

For me today, I took a ton of pics concerning drains grate in NW, SW, and SE Portland, and took out those black locusts on N. Interstate again... (I was constantly installing and removing my battery) I'm uploading 60+ to flickr and that is taking some time... I'll go to bed before it's done.

I was unable to tackle those black locusts overgrowing NB N. Interstate (north of Greeley)... I wasn't prepared to go after them with the kit I was carrying today.

Someone want to step up and take em out for us?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-07-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Site Admin

Default The Vancouver Police actually did something!

Today I was running a little late on my commute to school, when I noticed a car parked in the bike lane. The location was right where the parking lane goes away to make way for a median island. You can see it here in Google Maps.

Even after reporting the vehicle, I still made it to school on time. On my way home, there was a pleasant surprise waiting on the car's windshield. He had received a ticket for improper parking, a $30 fine if paid within 15 days. It's not too much, but hopefully enough to make one think.

Tomorrow, I need to bring my camera in to school for a project, so maybe I can get some shots of the potholes and overgrown bushes that I've called in recently.

EDIT:
This was the car where it was parked correctly, followed by a picture of where it was the day prior:

Last edited by jr98664; 09-09-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Too many photos in next post.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Site Admin

Default Pictures!

On 136th Ave SB, there was a bush blocking the bike lane. I called it in yesterday, but it was still there in the morning, but on my way home that afternoon, the entire bush looks like it has gone missing.

Unfortunately, that day they also started some road work, placing a sign smack dab in the middle of the bike lane only a few feet down the road.

I forgot to photograph the two potholes that the city has fixed so far, but I do have one that I need to call in on NE 8th Street at the corner of 108th Avenue. It looks like it has been patched before.

This photography is getting addicting. I think I just need a smaller camera that I can more easily carry around.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Pix Addix..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
This photography is getting addicting. I think I just need a smaller camera that I can more easily carry around.
It is addictive... isn't it...

Got Hope? I've seen that bike before...

Saturday... Downtown... Near the Pearl...

Why didn't you pull up and say "Hi"?

As for me, I called the PDX Tran's 24 hour maintenance hotline (503) 823 1700 and reported a few bike/wheelchair eating storm drains in NW Portland... Like this one...

NB on SW 18th Ave, past SW Alder St.

Or...

SB on NW 15th approaching W Burnside St.

and a couple of others. Too many images for this post.

Keep Up the Good Work!
Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-09-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Site Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Got Hope? I've seen that bike before...

Saturday... Downtown... Near the Pearl...

Why didn't you pull up and say "Hi"?
The reason I didn't say hello that time was because it wasn't me. Saturday happened to be the one day last week that I didn't ride my bike; I just had too much homework. I was in downtown on Sunday though, as I said before.

Unfortunately, the construction signs that I talked with the city about are still in the bike lane. A slight improve was made, however, when they moved another set of signs over a lane, giving cars the room to maneuver around cyclists. Thankfully, the repaving will be done within a day or two. It does get a tad annoying when you go through it each way on your daily commute.

One fun part though is the fact that the coned-off lane remaining is just narrow enough where cars can safely pass, but that most choose not to, all while still keeping the bike lane. In short, it's a completely legal way to hold up traffic for a few blocks. If they complain, you can tell them that they could have carefully passed.

Anyway, I have achieved a new level of fame with the ladies at the Vancouver Street Maintenance line. Today I called in a pothole, and they didn't even have to ask my name, that's how familiar we are. I would imagine you, however, must be famous with street maintenance lines the metropolitan area over.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Site Admin

Yesterday, I reported no less than 7 street hazards to the Tigard streets guy. I used their online form, and reported each dead animal/glass patch/splintered wood bits/metal shards as a separate thing. I'm sure Vance will get tired of me, but I don't care. It's been really bad out here in Tigard for the last couple of weeks, and I got tired of it.

I also talked to the Tualatin streets guy Ernie about the glass and construction staples on Bridgeport and 72nd (got a flat yesterday in that area-- grrr), and he said that he was sending a sweeper out soon to take care of it-- and also take care of all the glass on Lower Boones, as he noticed that as he was driving out to check out the area I had emailed him about. Cool!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Site Admin

Talking New (low-quality) photos!

The first one is from about two weeks back of a bush blocking the SB bike lane on N Vancouver just north of Schmeer. When I rode through here last week, the bushes had finally been trimmed back after calling twice over the course of a month or so.

The second in the pothole that I last reported on. The asphalt patch was fresh enough as to still be warm.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Reported more storm drains...

I reported more storm drain grates today in the West side of Portland...

Eastbound on W. Burnside St., Just past SW 17th Ave.

Eastbound on W. Burnside St., Just past SW 16th Ave.

Corner of NW 13th Ave. and NW Couch St.

And the one on the east side of SW 18th Ave, between SW Alder St. and W Burnside St.

I noticed that the drain on NW 15th Ave. approaching W Burnside St. was replaced:

The NEW Grate on NW 15th Ave...

This is the style of grate I like to see the most, as it eliminates just about any chance of a wheel falling in. I do realize that any drain (however well it's designed) can cause a wheel to slip when wet.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-15-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Site Admin

Question Anyone near Hawthorne?

Now that school's started up again, I don't have much time to just cruise around Portland, but I am pretty sure that I saw some dangerous grates behind the Bagdad theater at SE 37th & Clay, along with a few other intersections going back from the theater. Would anyone care to check these out? I'd love to call that one in, but I know there have to be more, and I would hate to do just a partial job.

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer