Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Site Admin

Today I was riding on Multnomah Blvd eastbound from Garden Home, and the bike lane was choked by some overgrown ivy and other shrubs. I didn't have my camera, but I did call it in to PDOT. They said they would get to it tomorrow.

I don't usually ride in this area, so would anyone more familiar with it happen to know what I'm talking about?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Found a guy's paycheck

As I was poking around the Beaverton Transit Center, I spotted something that looked like a check... I picked it up, and it turned out that it was a guy's paycheck for $8XX.xx

As I couldn't reach him, contacted the Beaverton PD, and gave it to them (got a receipt)... Then later was able to find the guy and tell him that his check was in Police protection... He gave me a tip, and a really relieved smile...

Do The Right Thing! (Get's you better Karma!)
K'Tesh
Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Pulling objects from the roadway...

Recently I got the opportunity to trash a couple of trashcans... both were rolling in the lane on the road... of course, on was on the edge of the fast lane (yeah, both were on Hwy 217), the other was near where the onramp merged with traffic. Managed to find a break in traffic, get out there, then find another break and get them off to the side of the road.

Not a lot to talk about on the campaigns that I have going, I've brought them to the responsible parties and they are looking them over (it's a long hard wait for a lot of these things). I keep calling every few days, or at least once a week and replying to emails when I get them... now if I only had some more time (to get sleep).

As of 7:30PM yesterday, the drains on 99W still havent been fixed. I don't know about the ones at PSM.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Site Admin

Default No Vehicle Access

I really ought to just start bringing a decent camera with me on my bike, but this image from Google Street View will have to do for now.

In Vancouver, there is a crosswalk onto an MUP in Haagen Park at NE 128th Ave & 9th Street. It looks like it would be a great place to ride a bike, except the sign reads something along the lines of "All vehicles prohibited, including motorcycles." According to RCW 46.04.670, bicycles are legally considered vehicles, and as such legally couldn't ride on this path. With the addition of motorcycles to the list, it's clear that the intent of the sign is to prohibit motorized vehicles. I called and brought this to the Parks department's attention, and they said they would do their best to fix it.

There is another such sign near Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver. Google Street View's illegible image will have to do for now. It more succinctly states "No vehicle access." Again, the intent is obviously to bar motorized vehicles from a pedestrian path. This time, a crosswalk continues from the park to a walkway cutting over to where C-Tran's old downtown transit center at 7th and Washington Street was previously. I believe that I will need to contact the managers of the condominiums on either side. While this path is a continuation of 7th street, I doubt it is in the public ROW.

I strongly doubt that a police officer would ticket a bike for riding on either path, but still, a wrongly worded sign is a wrongly worded sign.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Site Admin

Default Not Familiar with Washington laws...

I suspect that it's just an unfortunate oversight.

Start asking questions (esp. from the civil engineering departments), but offer carrots and cookies, not cattle prods and whips, and you can probably get some support from the authorities. Perhaps they can change the sign or else give you some sort of signed and official-looking document that indicates that the sign means motorized vehicles.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Site Admin

Default At long last...

Remember the benign neglect of the glass in the bike lane on SE 92nd?

It got swept up when they decided to divert auto traffic into the bike lane for construction.

Then - and I am not making this up - a few days later IT WAS BACK!

The crazy thought hit me... did the guys put the glass back... no way.

Spoke with one of the crew as he's prepping to shut her down for the day and he said they'd noticed the glass and saw it there again. He promised the crew would sweep it up along with their construction mess. Also told me the sweeper was overdue on the East side.

And sure enough... yesterday... they did!

And this morning... again sure enough... a welcome site... the sweeper was doing it's thing on E. Burnside. Ah relief. I was running out of tire tubes!

I resisted the tempation to holler "Hey! About time! You're late!" Instead... friendly wave and an appreciative thumbs up.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Cool What a coincidence.... the National Director was in town...

Of all the people to bump into today at the Portland Saturday Market...

The National Director for the Paralyzed Veterans of America, went past me, just as I was folding up shop.

I approached her, not knowing her at all, nor realizing who she was or who she was with (thank God I didn't do another DOH! moment), and told her about the drain that has me so upset at the Skidmore Market....

Here she is with the drain...

It was after I had explained my intentions, photographing her in her chair with the drain, that she told me who she was. She will contact PDXtrans.

"THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN"

Laura was a jet engine mechanic with the Thunderbirds. She still serves her country...

So, what did YOU do today?
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-17-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs up Another downed sign, restored...

One of the signs that I reported to ODOT that was knocked down, is back on a new post.

I moved this downed sign to make it obvious where it was...

I noticed this sign back in July, and reported the next day. Perodically, I'd look to see if it was restored, but until today, I saw that it was still down. I didn't take a pic of the restored sign.

So, what have you done for your community?
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-01-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Curve on Barbur is now cleared...

Tonight there's less vegetation overhanging the curve on the inbound portion of Barbur Blvd. This is an old Before and After image of the first time I tackled this area. Now the entire sidewalk is clear overhead, and there's a few less black locusts too...

I'll see if I can get some pics of the area, but this putting the battery in, taking it out stuff is getting old.

See Something? DO SOMETHING!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-05-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Cleaned up after another glASSHOLE

A glASSHOLE broke several bottles of Mexican beer on SW Canyon Rd at the Southern intersection of the NB Hwy 217 off/onramp right on the curbcuts and sidewalks.

I hope the people who did this find their waterbed laced with broken glass (after lights out... repeatedly).

I spent nearly an hour this evening sweeping it up...

A few people stopped and said thanks, including these folks and their dog, Rogue.

Poor pup, could have had his paws cut up by the morons who sabotaged these ramps.

Anybody else do something today?
K'Tesh

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer