Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Site Admin

I don't ever seem to be as prepared to record safety issues like you are, James. I was honking along NB on Murray last weekend and saw one of the ancient grates degrated to where a tire could easily fall in [about half way between murray hill and TV Hwy].

After a completely frustrating week, it was good to get an hour in this evening. Tomorrow the nature park ride w/ the to & fro should get the a nice tan going again.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Can Voting Be Dangerous To Your Health?!

In Washington County Oregon, it can!

I was turning in my ballot for the May 18th election, when I found this drain grate in the parking lot (and ballot delivery area) of the County Elections Office.

Off the left is an ADA parking area too.

I've rotated the grate as a cyclist is more likely to be injured if caught in the grate, and have contacted the facility maintenance department to get straps welded across it to prevent any possible accident.

Also, sometimes you wish you had wings to fly over unsafe grates...

Simply flip, and rotate 90 degrees, and now it's safe for bikes and wheelchairs

See Something? DO SOMETHING!!!
K'Tesh
Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Site Admin

Default Shilling for No Idle Zones

My turn to bike the kids to school - been a while, since my wife usually takes them. She has an appointment - so it's Dad's turn!

Of course we are wayyyy too early. So we're waiting... it's Arthur Academy out on 137th and Division - and the cars/trucks/vans are all lining up to drop the kids... once the gate is unlocked...

And we park the bike, lock it up, hop out of the trailer... turn off the lights...

And everyone is idling their truck, mini-van, car while waiting in the school parking lot.

So - being the freaky guy I am I politely go up to each window and sort of self-effacingly request a shut-down.

"Hi it's your friendly neighborhood tree hugger! Hey listen would it be OK if you shut her down while we're waiting?"

I explain that anytime you're waiting over 10 seconds it's worth it to shut off your vehicle. You save gas - and all these little ones at tail pipe level - well, they'll breathe a lot easier. Every little bit helps.

And to a parent - they all did it, no complaints - it just seemed like it was something they hadn't thought of yet. I could swear I saw a few light bulbs - was that!?!?!? was it an "aha" moment!??!? I can only hope!

Now I'm going to see about scoring some "No Idle Zone" signs for AA to make it official!

Got a LOT of looks from the other kids when I dropped the kids on the bike, too!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelnite View Post
So - being the freaky guy I am I politely go up to each window and sort of self-effacingly request a shut-down.
And to a parent - they all did it, no complaints - it just seemed like it was something they hadn't thought of yet. I could swear I saw a few light bulbs - was that!?!?!? was it an "aha" moment!??!? I can only hope!
that's awesome!

both that you got them all to stop idling, and that you take the kids to school by bike...

signs would be a nice reminder...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink NW Cornelius Pass Rd has a small problem...

For some reason, some branches along a small stretch of NW Cornelius Pass Rd (NW West Union Rd to NW Jacobson Rd) suddenly fell off around the base of their respective sources (don't worry, I'm sure that landscaping will pick them up soon).

A similar problem occurred on SW Hocken Ave, in Beaverton today too.

I wonder what was causing that... Hmmm

And on another subject... +1 to spiffy's comments, Great Job beelnite!

See Something? Say Something!!!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-26-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb A Little Nighttime Pruning In Portland Tonight...

As I was riding with Jonathan tonight after the Pedalpalooza/Shift Get Together, we found the bike lane mostly blocked by low branches.

NB Bike lane on NE Interstate Ave, Portland, in the Rose Quarter

It took only a couple of minutes to clear it.

K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-28-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Swapping and Sawing...

I've been complaining to the city of Beaverton about this storm drain, and these trees for some time. When nothing was done, I once again took matters into my own hands.

I'd have swapped out the grate a long time ago if there hadn't been a car parked on the dangerous grate, or hiding the other drain.

I pruned these trees to provide people who cross SW Hall at the Fanno Creek Trail (mid-block) a view of oncoming traffic.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Trails work...

Turned in my application for the Trails Advisory Committee (THPRD's TAC) today. Also spotted a hazard on the trail and took steps to get it fixed...

Not easy to spot in this shot...

But I think you can see the hazard now.

I nearly hit this hidden trap when I was passing a jogger with her SUV sized stroller. When I came back to report this to TPHRD, a little boy also nearly had a mishap in the same hole.

It was hidden by grass growing in it, and the dried cut grass laying about nearby. I reported the problem, and cleared out the grass from the hole.

TPHRD's maintenance people painted a warning, then put in a longer pipe, and filled the remaining hole with gravel.

Repairs made...

K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-30-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Problem on Beaverton Hillsdale Highway...

Many were disappointed when ODOT resurfaced the Beaverton Hillsdale Highway a few years back. We were told that there wasn't enough space for bike lanes. In the ONE spot for miles that we did get a bike lane, a crack in the macadam has formed that is wide and deep enough to cause a unwary cyclist to crash.

Mind The Gap...

I reported the issue to ODOT, and they dispatched someone to investigate. I'm told that they will be fixing the crack, and repainting the bike lane. I'm keeping an eye peeled for the repairs.

See Something? SAY SOMETHING!!!
K'Tesh
Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Site Admin

Default Capitol and Terwilliger

The blackberry vines are growing out into the bike lane, again, up the hill from Barbur on Capitol, going eastbound towards Wilson High School. I submitted several complaints about it to Portland's Tall Grass and Weed Nuisance Complaint Pilot Project at http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=53082

I saw the BDS web address mentioned in a story in Willamette Week.

I suspect that the still photos from my helmet cam do not meet the criteria BDS has for their complaint form, which says that the address of the house has to be visible in the photo. There are no street addresses, or fences denoting property lines in that part of Capitol, so its impossible to figure out the street addresses exactly. And I don't have an iphone or a GPS to tell me exactly where I am.

Attached are some of the photos I submitted.

I edited down the long helmet cam video into two youtube-length compatible vidoes, one of which I referenced in the BDS complaint forms I submitted. Yes, I should have submitted both videos to youtube, and referenced them in all the complaints. I'm still learning youtube, video editing, etc. The videos are at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6t7LdK9XVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLD18ZyaBEc

Here are the photos:

Last edited by setha; 08-23-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: trying to include photos like K'tesh does.

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer