Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Site Admin

K'Tesh, I appreciate your work-- especially in this case.

It floods often under there. And it's always dim, whether it's light or dark out. It's nice to know that the water is shallow enough to ride through without having to guess about it.

Yeah, you can't make everyone happy. Don't let it get you down.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Site Admin

Default Fencepost cleaner?

K`Tesh
Is this some official or just some concerned citizen imposing their views on how reflectors reduce his property value?
I suspect you have already contacted the parks department regarding the need for these reflectors as a safety device for cyclists after dark?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Just a guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q`ztal View Post
K`Tesh
Is this some official or just some concerned citizen imposing their views on how reflectors reduce his property value?
I suspect you have already contacted the parks department regarding the need for these reflectors as a safety device for cyclists after dark?
Just a citizen, imposing his views on the safety of the stream and it's occupants (as well as how it interfers with his relaxation on his commute). I don't think he lives in sight of the underpass.

And yes, I've contacted the county reguarding this...

Of course if you'd like to contact the county too, it might add weight to the request.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down "Gill" is still at it...

Our cycling friend of fish, who, without any ID is working against my plans to get the area under Scholls Ferry safe for humans is still at it. I'm now calling him Gill, until he chooses to fess up.

He has removed more of the remaining reflectors.

Perhaps I AM selFISH.. I value my safety and that of my fellow cyclists over the CHANCE that reflectors could hurt aquatic animals.

I don't think that this is over.
K'Tesh
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Site Admin

With all the garbage floating around urban streams, a few reflectors probably won't make any difference. What are you putting up, a nuclear powered light? The creek probably IS nasty at flood stage. A few reflectors that may weather off are really such a small problem.

Perhaps a guage staff? Something painted on a seperate pole, white and orange usually.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Nuclear? Nope... 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
With all the garbage floating around urban streams, a few reflectors probably won't make any difference. What are you putting up, a nuclear powered light? The creek probably IS nasty at flood stage. A few reflectors that may weather off are really such a small problem.

Perhaps a guage staff? Something painted on a seperate pole, white and orange usually.
Don't get me wrong, I do worry about what goes into our waters, and I do think that we should be concerned about what can end up in it (such as chain lube when a cyclist ends up "going in"). Wouldn't be nice if we could know if it is safe to travel under Scholls Ferry than trying to play dodge car on a wet night when it's questionable if lights on or off makes a difference or not?

The reflectors that I was putting up are the same lightweights reflectors that I use on my spokes. Now I've sacrificed a few inches of my reflective tape (fabric) to use. Both use 3M's Scotchlite retro-reflective material. They are small, less than an inch square each. It's not like you're riding behind me at night (I have LOTS more on me).

My request for a guage is not freestanding, but attached to the fence posts... at least one on each side of the underpass, so you can tell how deep it is no matter which direction you are coming. My proposal has a pattern of foot long white, red, white retro-reflective material, with a pattern of white, red, white six inch retro-reflective material attached to a three foot long, three inch wide sign.... Six inch white on foot long white is less than 6 inches of water. Six inch red on foot long white is more than 6 inches of water, but less than a foot (and so on).
The alternative is to get lights installed (much more expensive, much more maintenance).

So, a couple questions for Gill... Which do you want? Small reflectors glued to the post and/or larger depth guages, or bright lights?

Diver Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-08-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Spoke to Washington County today...

Called Washington County's Operations Supervisor, Keith Lewis, and spoke with him about the problems that face commuters on the Fanno Creek Trail under Scholls Ferry.

He seemed receptive to the idea of adding depth guages to the fence there. He did express some concern for liability due to vandalism and the undesirable elements that seem to congregate under bridges. He cited how an underpass somewhere on Walker had to be closed due to those kinds of activities. I hope that the video monitoring (already in place) and the routine activity of park rangers, as well as the effects of the flooding would keep that problem down.

See Something? Say Something!
K'Tesh
Old 12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Site Admin

I was thinking about this after our conversation the other day. What if...

instead of a single standalone gauge, what if the whole section of fenceposts along the underpass was painted a particular pattern? Say, bottom 1' is white, then 1' of black (or red), then another 1' of white? (reflective paint, of course)

Then, the effect is immediately apparent to a rider (or jogger, this helps them too) when they see the pattern dipping into the water. Also makes it a little less vulnerable to vandalism (they'd have to tag the whole fence vs one post)

Still doesn't alleviate other hazards like slick mud or potholes, but at least you got warning that the water's deeper than just puddle skipping.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face Back to Grates for a moment...

When riding into Portland yesterday, noticed that two of the grates I called (ODOT) in have been replaced... But, of course, it was after dark and I was in a hurry so no new pics (I'm looking for the old ones)...

Both were located on SW Barbur Rd in the bike lane, but in the middle of driveways. So, they were safe for riders going downhill, but not for people entering or exiting the driveways, now they're safe for everybody.

Spotted another one in Beaverton on Cedar Hills Rd. that had a broken off strap that could eat a bike in the bike lane.

SB bike lane on Cedar Hills Blvd, accross from the Christian Meeting Place

Called that one in last night.

See Something? DO SOMETHING!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-12-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeast View Post
I was thinking about this after our conversation the other day. What if...

instead of a single standalone gauge, what if the whole section of fenceposts along the underpass was painted a particular pattern? Say, bottom 1' is white, then 1' of black (or red), then another 1' of white? (reflective paint, of course)

Then, the effect is immediately apparent to a rider (or jogger, this helps them too) when they see the pattern dipping into the water. Also makes it a little less vulnerable to vandalism (they'd have to tag the whole fence vs one post)

Still doesn't alleviate other hazards like slick mud or potholes, but at least you got warning that the water's deeper than just puddle skipping.
I think that this is a great solution to the prolem. I was thinking along the same lines, some tape and spray paint you could do it yourself.

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer