Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Kid Friendly route from NE to Pedalpalooza Kickoff

My daughter (age 7.5) and I are going to bike down to the Pedalpalooza kickoff tonight. I'm not sure which route would be best. Bycycle.org suggests taking 7th Avenue to Lloyd Blvd and then the Steel Bridge.

Would this be the best route, or is there another way to go? Should we bike to Lloyd Center and hop on the Max? We are coming from around Alberta & 15th.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Site Admin

That doesn't sound bad, honestly - but be careful on Lloyd. They're not all that bicycle aware.

The Rose Quarter area is a bit scary, in general - if she's a pretty tough kid, I'd go for it - otherwise, the MAX might be better.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Site Admin

I'd avoid that stretch of 7th in the evening. It may be called a Bike Blvd, but I think those circles just make everything worse. At least the part with speed bumps seems to slow traffic down.

Consider heading West on Skidmore, then South on Vancouver to Broadway. Over the bridge, and to the right (Lovejoy) should put you right there. That's pretty much all bike lane save for Skidmore, you may want lower traffic streets with your daughter?

Have fun!