Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Site Admin

Default Tour de France viewing

We've a European visiting for a bit and he wants to know the best place in town to catch the Tour on TV.

Ideas?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Site Admin

Default ditto...

I was going to start this same thread. I'm an avid fan, but we're a TV-free family. I've been starting to stress out about how I'm going to get my leTour fix this year?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

--
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Site Admin

In years past, both the Lucky Lab and St. Honore Boulangerie have offered public showings of Le Tour. You might check with them to see if they're planning on doing that this year.

Of course, the most logical place to watch the Tour these days is in a pharmacy...
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Site Admin

Default Cycling TV

If you have internet access and want to shell out a few bucks
http://www.cycling.tv/
is the way to go.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

www.cycling.tv doesn't have rights to the tour. I tried them last year - they show just about everything but the tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovorecord View Post
Of course, the most logical place to watch the Tour these days is in a pharmacy...
ok, ok, nuovorecord, we heard you the first time:

Should Tour De France be Canceled

you don't have to come.

--

I'm sure that Lucky Lab shows the evening wrap-up; I was more interested in the live feed in the early morning. I'll check in with St. Honore Boulangerie to see if they plan on being open for the morning.

--
Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Site Admin

definitely costello's....

http://www.costellostravelcaffe.com/events/
Old 06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by poser View Post
ok, ok, nuovorecord, we heard you the first time:

Should Tour De France be Canceled

you don't have to come.

--
So nice to see that you're tolerant of other's views. I never said that I wanted to see the Tour canceled...merely that it's been dirty for decades and needs to be cleaned up. Sorry you have a problem with that.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovorecord View Post
So nice to see that you're tolerant of other's views. I never said that I wanted to see the Tour canceled...merely that it's been dirty for decades and needs to be cleaned up. Sorry you have a problem with that.
Oh hey - sorry; wasn't accusing you of taking the position that the tour should be canceled. I was just pointing out, and perhaps with a bit too much tongue in cheek, that we have (you, I, beelnite, aO and many others) covered this topic before, ad nauseum.

You could glean from my comments that I want the sport to be cleaned up as much as anyone - although we may disagree at the rate it is (or isn't) being cleaned up. And I still get exited for the tour, regardless of the current state of doping in the peloton.

Maybe I'm getting a little tired of the naysayer's comments that inevitably pop up when any of us has the temerity to admit publicly that we still enjoy watching professional bike racing.

--
Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Site Admin

Default Boulangeri weighs in

But of course we will be showing it...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by poser View Post
Oh hey - sorry; wasn't accusing you of taking the position that the tour should be canceled. I was just pointing out, and perhaps with a bit too much tongue in cheek, that we have (you, I, beelnite, aO and many others) covered this topic before, ad nauseum.

You could glean from my comments that I want the sport to be cleaned up as much as anyone - although we may disagree at the rate it is (or isn't) being cleaned up. And I still get exited for the tour, regardless of the current state of doping in the peloton.

Maybe I'm getting a little tired of the naysayer's comments that inevitably pop up when any of us has the temerity to admit publicly that we still enjoy watching professional bike racing.

--
OK, that's cool. Sorry I over-reacted. I love bike racing as well and just hate what it's become. My "pharmacy" comment was a bit of a buzzkill, I'll admit. But I'm optimistic that cycling will overcome its problems.

Peace, and enjoy Le Tour!!!