Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Site Admin

Smile Looking for Touring ideas (2-5 day tour)

I've got a friend coming to oregon to visit during pedalpalooza/ Towards Car Free cities confrence and we want to get out of town for a couple/ few days for a tour. Anyone have suggestions for a short 2-5 day tour?

I'd love suggestions for tours on the coast/ in or out of the willamette valley/ or in eastern oregon. I don't typically drive, but I do have access to a car, and I could for example drive us to say 200 miles from portland to do our tour to save a few days. Althogh we would prefer to only bike and/ or use a train/ bike.

thanks!!!

happy pedalpalooza

Old 06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Site Admin

Default Man, you're leaving it wide open...

If you're willing to drive, consider the Blue Mountains. There's a really good reason that Cycle Oregon seems to be there every third year or thereabouts. Look at a map of Joseph and the surrounding area.

Staying closer in, you could do something around The Dalles, including the Mosier tunnel, Rowena Crest, and the Columbia River Scenic Highway...

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Site Admin

Default Go Coastal

I would suggest the coast for a number of reasons. 101 has wide shoulders and most autos seem to be aware of and somewhat cautious around bikes. Food and lodging are plentiful. A number of state parks have bike-and-hike facilities that don't ever seem to be full. Plenty of hotels if you're not camping, but the camping is great. It isn't too difficult to get a ride or a bus out the coast if you don't want to ride there. Oh, and you can get bike specific maps that show elevation, camping, bike repair, mileage. It's all set up for you. That reminds me, I haven't done it for a while.......hmmmmmm......
Old 06-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Site Admin

Default Take Sun Screen

Go out the gorge on the historic highway, especially the eastern leg from Hood River (through the Mosier twin tunnels) to The Dalles, then turn south. There is a leg of the historic hwy that parallels Hwy 97 for a while. At Shaniko go east through Clarno, Antelope and Fossil. This is big, open and isolated country - high desert and beautiful. From Service Creek you can go to Michell on Hwy 26, or the preferred alt, go past Spray and along the John Day River to Dayville. Then take 26 back to Bend, but take Hwy 20 to Detroit, and from Detroit take the back way to Estacada past Ripplebrook. From Estacada back to Portland.

Last edited by flying_dutchman; 06-07-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Site Admin

Default touring info

Greg, here's some maps & resource info. on touring around Portland, especially to the coast:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=36638&

one of my fave coast trips is :
- Hillsboro MAX to Banks, out 6 to Timber Rd.
- Timber Rd. north to Vernonia
- toward Astoria via Mist/Birkenfeld/Jewel *
- at Otis swing around Youngs Bay *
- then south on the coast on the Lewis & Clark Rd. to Seaside
- south on 101 to Tillamook
- around Cape Meares/3 Capes loop *
- south on 101 to Beaver / Nestucca River Rd.
- inland on Nestucca river Rd. * to Carlton,
- back roads to Hillsboro MAX

* = very scenic and low traffic segments

Don't know how many days this is -- depends on camping/where you want to stay -- maybe 4 or 5 max. ??? Also the bus from Tilamook to Portland can shorten the loop.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Site Admin

Default Far away and worth it

I just got back from the Steens Mountain area and the riding there is spectacular. Great, varied challenging terrain and virtually no traffic. There's water flowing from the mountains and it's still cool and comfortable (but not raining!). And there's lots of hot springs to reinvigorate those tired legs!

It's a long drive (350-400 miles), but at least a lot of it is through beautiful country.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Site Admin

Default Willamette Valley- You are already there!

Riding from Canby south through the farm land is close and lovely. I can recommend the website www.bikely.com for rout info. you can just type in " Portland to Ashland" and presto...More traffic than Steens but so many towns along the way that it's like supported touring.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Site Admin

Default the Mosier tunnel

whats the route to the Mosier tunnel from portland??
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Site Admin

Default Mosier to Portland?

Pretty much the old Columbia River Highway up until Troutdale. Don't forget the offroad trail at Cascade Locks.

Once you've passed Troutdale, you have a number of choices depending on where you're going. Following Glisan as far as SE 82nd is probably a good idea. From there in I'll let the Eastsiders talk about good routes; I'd only be of help if you need to cross the Tualatin Mountains out into Washington County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1c3aroni View Post
whats the route to the Mosier tunnel from portland??

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Site Admin

Default Mosier Tunnel

Ricearoni, the tunnel is just east of Hood River.

to get to Hood River by bike check this out:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=40895&