Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Dangerous Curves...

I've been worried about this curve on SW Garden Place, Tigard, for some time now. A new business in Park 217 has reportedly 600 employees who now have filled all the available parking spaces in the business park, and now are parking in areas that were not used (often). When they park on this curve (where SW Hall intersects with SW Garden Place), it creates a dangerous trap for pedestrians and cyclists that cross here. What you don't see is the driveway where I was standing, or the ped trail accross the street that leads to several restaurants and 7-11.

SW Hall is going uphill and traffic is 35MPH, I've seen several people speeding, then take this curve. The posted speed is 25MPH on SW Garden Place. Pray you're not in front of those idiots, or if you do, that they have good brakes.

I've been in touch with Tigard Public Works reguarding this, and today I took a few pics taken only seconds apart... What follows is part of the email I sent tonight.

Quote:
This picture was taken at 12:40:05PM today... Looks safe enough to try to turn into traffic and head for home. Right? Wrong...

Looks safe enough... Right?

This picture was taken at 12:40:08PM today... This LARGE Pickup was hidden by the vehicles parked, legally, on the side of the road. Had I pulled out on my bike would he have stopped in time? Did he see me before I saw him? What if there was another SUV parked in front there (as there often is)?

Whoa Where Did That Come From?
Anybody wanna play chicken with that Pickup? I didn't think so...

I'm trying to get Tigard to turn a portion of that roadside into a no parking zone, so I can see what's coming, and what's coming can see me (as well as all the people turning out of that driveway). That driveway, by the way, leads to an occupational therapy treatment center... a place where hurt people go to get better... Wouldnt it just suck to get hit by a car coming out of that?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-05-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Site Admin

This area has always been bad. I used to work there, and left that job right after the call center moved in. Traffic goes way too fast, and rarely do people stop at the stop sign down there. Tigard used to park a motorcycle officer down there to bust people about once a week. This was just over two years ago, so I can only imagine that it has gotten worse.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Site Admin

Default Can you say...

"traffic calming"? There, I knew you could.

Sounds like this area is a prime candidate for the city to schedule for this kind of work. Pinch-offs, roundabouts, speed bumps...there are plenty of tools at the road engineer's disposal.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb What a Difference ONE SUV Makes...

As I was heading to lunch today, I saw that the view of the curve was unobstructed... As I walked back ONE SUV had parked there...

Do you see the pickup coming down the hill?

That thing makes it really hard to see what's coming...

At the top of the hill, I spotted a guy crossing where I typically do...

LOOKOUT BELOW!!!

Imagine a speeding car coming around that corner and taking his legs out from under him. It's nearly happened to me.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-11-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Site Admin

Default Side walk???????????

I'd use the sidewalk, i know people don't like it, but hey. Safety is no accident. Use it, get off it, be safe.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink No accident? It was a hazardous location... Was, that is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinNE View Post
I'd use the sidewalk, i know people don't like it, but hey. Safety is no accident. Use it, get off it, be safe.

When you're on you half hour lunch, and two of the three nearest restaurants are .3 mile away from your workplace (and perhaps it's raining), are you really going to walk the extra .2 miles (.1 each direction) to stay on the sidewalk? Also, if you're driving, and you're trying to pull out of a driveway on a blind corner wouldn't you wish something could have been done before you were broadsided?

Well, the point is moot... Tigard is in the process of taking out several parking spots there, they agreed with me, it's a collison waiting to happen.

No parking between the arrows (soon)

No, I didn't go and paint this myself...

See Something? Do Something?
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-04-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: mute/moot what's the difference? damn spell checker
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking It's Painted...

Went out there today on my way to lunch... and I saw the area was now Yellow! (Still no signs)

I didn't get all the pics I wanted, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-03-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Site Admin

Hey K-tesh:

A point is MOOT when it doesn't matter any more.... if it's mute, it can't talk.

Grammar police!

Kt
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Moot Point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinNE View Post
Don't you hate it when you think of a response to something long after it would have been a good one? You know, the quick comeback that would have been perfect a second later, but not 5 minutes later... In that vein...

Moot point... Some people (not including myself) park their cars on the other side of the road there, they HAVE to cross the road.

Anyway, it should be safer out there for all now.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh