Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Site Admin

K'Tesh, +1-- I also find that most road users are really nice about yielding to trail-crossers. Except for down where the Trail crosses Hall, that place is just messed up!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Site Admin

Default Geographical adventure...

Quote:
Last week, while crossing N. Dakota in Tigard (Fanno Creek Trail), a driver yielded to me (despite having plenty of space to continue w/o any problems for me). I thought it was funny that his license plate read "Wall St"
I just think it's cool that you came across Wall St. while crossing N. Dakota on a bike...all without leaving Tigard.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs up Nice Driver in Vancouver last night...

Was riding in Vancouver with Zpl last night and as we were heading on down Columbia for the Interstate bridge, when a driver carefully passed us. I noticed her turn her whole head to look our way as she prepared to make a right turn ahead of us. She was able to safely make the turn without any cause for alarm by us.

Wanted to give her a thumbs up!
K'Tesh
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Site Admin

Smile

Riding to work in Hillsboro the other day. Came to a 4-way stop that rarely has traffic; no cars so I was about to roll it when two women on the sidewalk stepped off to cross in front of me. I stopped just as they saw me and stopped. One of them waved me on, but I told her she had the right of way. She laughed as they walked in front of me and said "Oh yeah, they haven't passed the Idaho Stop yet". Made my day

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-28-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: fixed smilie
Old 05-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Friendly wave...

Quote:
"I noticed her turn her whole head to look our way as she prepared to make a right turn ahead of us. She was able to safely make the turn without any cause for alarm by us.

Wanted to give her a thumbs up!"
I try to always give a friendly wave as I pass by any driver that is yielding to me before making a right turn across the bike lane. Of course it is always a trick to decide whether I can safely pass by (on the right, in the bike lane) a driver making a right turn...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking One gesture, three nice drivers

It happened as I was heading up the hill to get lunch today. I had been slogging up the hill (barely keeping the bike upright) looking behind me, pedal some more, look behind me as car after car passed...

Finally, a SUV slowed down then stopped. This allowed me to merge into the turn lane... As the first driver did that, I saw a car coming up behind it in the turn lane, and as I peeked out, I saw it slow and stop too... Now I was two thirds of the way across the lane.

A third driver (oncoming) saw this, and stopped too, and I was allowed safe crossing...

Thanks Folks!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Site Admin

Default Patience in West Linn

In yet another dangerous situation caused by a bike lane (eastbound 43 under the I-205 overpass.), a Chevy van driver paced me and allowed me to merge into the right most through lane before he merged onto the freeway.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Site Admin

Default Waving me through is nice, but...

On three occaisons yesterday I ran into the "the traffic cop" driver. You know the one that waves you through the intersection.

While I appreciate the intentions... heck no, I won't go! I simply point to my stop sign, shrug and refuse to budge. Sorry to refuse the gift, but the law is the law.

I'm stopping doggonit and I'll wait until it's my turn and it's clear like everyone else.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Site Admin

I am constantly waved through intersections up here in Vancouver when the vehicle has the ROW. There has been a couple weird situations where I (with both feet on the ground) have pointed to my stop sign and the driver sits there idling still.

I sometimes feel as if I am a minority concerning bicycle riders that stop at intersections. On a daily basis other bicycle riders blow right by me through an intersection at which I am stopped.

I do not get disgruntled when a car confuses an intersection by not taking ROW and allowing me to travel through because they have been taught this from scofflaw bicycle riders.

To all the nice drivers, I know why you do this. I understand. Thank you.

Last edited by dmc; 07-15-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Site Admin

Today I learned that the nicest traffic is the traffic stuck in rush hour.
They can't move so I know what to expect from them

Seriously, today I went NB on 210 over 217... what a nightmare intersection for cyclists!
Several good drivers heeded my hand signals and provided safe passage.