Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Once upon a time on 9-11

I just remembered. . . .

On the 9-11; yes that 9-11 . . .

It was the driver of a high pickup; you know; one of those with the raised springs; who let me watch the twin towers burn on the built in TV set on his dash. . .

I will never forget that morning. . .

Mark
Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Site Admin

Default Skyline heros

My heartfelt thanks to the no less than 3 people (2 drivers, one rider) who offered me help when I wrapped my derailleur on Skyline last Friday. A single woman in a Subaru actually pulled over to offer me a ride.

Considered collectively, humans often suck. But individually, some of them are really awesome.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Site Admin

Default small and nice gesture

This morning on 26th in front of Cleveland High I was passed by a pickup truck and the little girl (6 or 7 years old) in the passenger seat watch me, smiled and waved. She was adorable and the simple gesture made my day.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Site Admin

This morning on the ride in (yay! Back in the saddle!), 10 cars in a row passed me leaving a very generous distance between me and them. And the 10th person waited for me to move right after taking the lane to avoid a pinch point in the road. She even smiled at me when we came to the next stop light together.

That more than makes up for the large-ish landscaping truck who made his right on red without stopping for me to clear the intersection (coming from his left, I had the green) when I was about 15 feet from him and closing fast. Didn't get the name, made eye contact and yelled hey, and his eyes bugged so far out of his head!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Site Admin

And on the ride home last night, I had people passing smartly-- leaving lots of room between us, crossing into the other lane to pass me.

AND, when I took the lane at the top of Fonner, a large pick up truck behind me hung way back and waited until I turned off.

AND, when I took the lane on the other part of Fonner leading to 121st, the large pick up truck again hung way back for me. I signaled my left at the stop sign (full foot down stop, thank you) and he was apparently fine about it.

I did almost get hooked on Durham Rd, but the driver hit the brakes before crossing the lane lines (oncoming left-turn at a light, with "yield to oncoming" sign, I had the green going straight through as the oncoming traffic)-- he yelled something out the window, but I couldn't understand what it was he said. Sounded somthing like, "that's a really bright vest" or something. He didn't seem upset, either.

All in all, it was a good commute both ways. Strange, because everyone was so great about things, but strange in a good way.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Site Admin

Default my first PDX thumbs-up

... on Wed evening from the woman in the black SUV who stopped on Milwaukie Ave near Bybee to let me out from a side street. Perhaps she saw the "one less SUV" sticker on my pannier?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Hey! Your Backpack's Open...

Was too busy to post this on monday.

Was riding in Tigard when one motorist tried to inform me that my backpack was open (to the rain), by gesturing behind me, but I didn't hear her, so I didn't figure it out. Then a second driver slowed, and their passenger shouted out to me that it was open.

My stuff was damp, but not ruined.

Thanks!
K'Tesh
Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Whew...

I got jammed by several buttheads today - must be the nice weather.

But a big thank you to the driver of a black SUV on NW 18th between, I don't know, Davis and Hoyt or so around lunchtime. I was really trying to use the bike lane, but between the gaggle of school buses and the woman sitting in her car talking on the phone right smack in the middle of it, I had to take the lane several times in a row like some kind of crazy weaving rider. SUV driver hung back a generous distance, seeing what was happening and letting me get there without any stress. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Site Admin

A few days ago I was sitting in the left-hand turn lane on 136th Ave at Mill Plain Boulevard when the two lanes of left turning traffic off of Mill Plain started coming my way. They often cut the corner, and I though that as a driver started to stare at me, he might be angry at me for actually stopping at the stop line and making him go around. Nope. He pointed at his head to indicate that he was talking about my helmet and just let out a nice big smile.

Yesterday, I was cycling on SR 500 WB through the cloverleaf with I-205. As a driver passed me, he stuck his arm out the window and I was sure that he was about to flip me off. I was wrong. He stuck his hand up and gave the 'rock on' gesture. He probably doesn't see too many cyclists in the middle of that freeway interchange.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Cool Wall St. (and others) where Fanno Creek crosses N. Dakota...

Last week, while crossing N. Dakota in Tigard (Fanno Creek Trail), a driver yielded to me (despite having plenty of space to continue w/o any problems for me). I thought it was funny that his license plate read "Wall St"

Yesterday, had a similar experience at the same intersection. I find that this intersection gets a lot of respect (for the most part) for trail users.