Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Site Admin

Default thanks Casey!

Hey K-Tesh, I have a silver subaru with 2 bike racks on it, that could have been me (except I wasn't there).

Two weekends ago I was riding by Smith-Bybee lakes on Marine Dr. and I could hear a train running along the tracks left of me. I looked up at it and saw the engineer riding on the platform on the outside of the cab. We were going the same speed, so we made eye contact. He made a "phew it's hot" motion across his forehead and then gave me a little salute. i saluted back with a big smile. My inner 12-year old boy was really happy!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Site Admin

Default 39th Street Saints

A family in a Blazer got stuck in the crosswalk on 39th stopping for the other crosswalk... saw me waiting and apologized...

"S'OK, I'm good - It happens!"

Came up to a 4 way and stopped - Truck to my right waves me on. No way, man - I point to the stop sign. He laughs, I smile back and he waves and drives on with an "OK buddy, you're cool" kinda head nod.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Hwy 217's exit... Last night...

Was trying to get into the lane so I could make a left turn onto BH hwy with the stale green light, WB at the 217 exit, but traffic kept coming and coming, and I couldn't pull it off.

I noticed a break, and looked back... I saw a motorist hanging back and flashing with her lights while motioning me over. I signaled my turn, and got into the lane, just in time to miss the light.

She pulled up alongside (Was heading NB to Canyon) and with a sympatetic smile, said, sorry you missed out on that light. I get the impression she's a cyclist and she understands the value of momentum.

Cheers!
K'Tesh

This was my 1100'th post, and it was a good subject

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-16-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Site Admin

Default Got a thanks from a driver

Last week a nice woman in a car pulled up next to me at a light, and thanked me for signaling my lane change. She said most bikers don't signal.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Site Admin

on SB Cedar Hills, stopped at the Butner light, had a lovely conversation with a motorcyclist, also waiting at the light. We were extravagantly admiring each other's rigs...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Site Admin

I mostly bike downtown and inner east side, and if I tried to list every nice driver incident, I'd literally be posting every other day. Really, hardly a day goes by when some driver doesn't stop to let me through a line of cars, even when the driver has the right of way. I realize it's not like that in every part of town or on faster-moving arterials, but in the central city, at least, I'll be waving thanks to a driver at least once a day, on average. When I ride with out of town visitors, they're amazed at how often Portland drivers defer to us bike riders and pedestrians.

And yes, I can also cite a (much shorter) list of dangerous/oblivious/jerk drivers who make me forget the generally benevolent behavior I see.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettoo View Post
I realize it's not like that in every part of town or on faster-moving arterials, but in the central city, at least, I'll be waving thanks to a driver at least once a day, on average.
I've definitely noticed that too Brettoo in inner SE... starts to break down a little as you get outward - around 82nd/I-205 or so. Just based on personal anectdotal experience.

Say... that's the about the same location where the political signs change from Obama to McCain.

Coincidence? Perhaps.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Cool Wow, has it been so long...

Normally things are fairly calm, nothing to report, then you get a nice driver that makes you smile once in a while...

Today I had Three!

1st was while I was was trying to cross an offramp on Hwy 217, guy in large pickup slowed down and flashed when I was trying to move to the frontage area, we exchanged a shaka (hawaiian hang loose symbol ) and a peace sign.

2nd was trying to cross an onramp, got a smile and a waive (all fingers) when I waived the driver past me... (I cross behind vehicles, not in front of them).

3rd didn't speed past me only to cut me off at the next right on SW Cascade.

Cool!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-30-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Cool Black Chevy Pickup...

Guy was driving a Black Chevy Pickup SB on hwy 217, approaching the offramp this morning... Held back and allowed me to cross the offramp.

Smiled and waived (all five fingers)!

Thanks!
K'Tesh
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Better late than never...

Last week, early (Monday? Tuesday?), I was commuting SB on Hwy 217. I had just moved from the frontage area between the Progress Offramp, and the Onramp, when I was passed by a small, red car.

The driver was a woman (all I saw was her hair), who gave me a lot of room, then waived (all five fingers). I noticed that she had a Share the Road license plate, and I seem to remember that it started with the letter "D".

If you're the driver, thanks for the smile!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh