Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Site Admin

Default The other kind of flashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
The deal with the guy putting on his flashers is a new one on me. That seems a bit much, unless he had a really good reason; particularly bad section of road, traffic, etc.
I think the driver who "flashed" me was probably freaked out to see a cyclist that close to the center line waiting to make a left turn. He/She probably thought either a) I was going to foolishly barge ahead into oncoming traffic and they were taking emergency measures to avoid crashing, or b) I was in untold peril waiting there for 5 more seconds for traffic to clear and they were saving me by allowing me to escape sooner.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Site Admin

Default Using the hazards

I hope it isn't a violation of the law, but since my wife was rear ended stopping at a crosswalk, we've made it a habit to throw on the hazards when approaching our neighborhood crosswalks.

Seriously - our crosswalks out here in Gateway are clearly marked, usually in a school zone and many have flashing yellow lights triggered by peds, yet stuff like rear endings still happen - kids are still getting hit - I've seen 2 in the last year.

This side of town refuses to slow down or take them seriously.

Part of the problem is they stretch over 4 lanes of traffic - so we'll stop in our lane... oh you folks know what happens.

So I use the flashers... I honk... wave my arms out the window - sometimes yell out to the pedestrian - "Hey watch this guy behind me!!!" - whatever it takes to get attention for the safety of the more vulnerable.

You know what I think folks like us are really compensating for? Impatience and arrogance of other drivers. It seems some drivers (AND CYCLISTS) assume that no one but them truly knows how to drive skillfully. WE are simply too incompetent to drive as fast and as "well" as they do - so they are "forced" to pass on the right - dart from lane to lane, cut us off in traffic, sit in our blind spot, tailgate, etc.

Obviously we aren't going slow or stopping for any reason - we're just stupid morons who don't know what they are doing right?

Does any of this resonate with certain cyclist behavior as well - i.e. pedestrians on Hawthorne? Hmmmmm....
Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Site Admin

I'm ok with someone flashing their brights, when they are slowing to let me make a left turn from SW Walker Rd. The traffic is not so fast that it holds anyone up, but it is seemingly endless in both directions. When I'm standing out in the middle of the lane signaling to turn left, I'd like to get off Walker ASAP

The flashing of brights is useful, because then I know they've really SEEN me, as opposed to slowing to fiddle with the radio, talk on the their cell phone, interact with another passenger in the car, etc. If I don't know they are slowing for me, I won't go. For all I know, they'll realize they've slowed down and speed it up, just in time to hit me!

As wsbob says, it is hard to really see what the driver is doing/intending - glare off windshields, tinted windows, etc.

However, if there is a big hole behind them, I'd sooner they just go and I'll take my turn.

For the record, when I am DRIVING on Walker Rd, I have been known to slow and let cars turn left. The street backs up darn quick when someone is waiting to turn and can't get through.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Site Admin

A driver stopped for me at the I-5 onramp from Greeley this morning. I'd say this happens about once a month.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

On my ride in this morning:

Had a car pull up next to me on Durham to turn into the small industrial complex next to the little Durham schoolhouse, and then fall back behind me so he could turn right without hitting me. He came to an almost-stop to let me fully clear the lane, then turned. Yay, driver!

Also, 95% of the cars who passed me on the part of Durham between Upper Boones and whatever that road is that Bed Bath and Beyond is on (is that 72nd there?) stayed WAY over to the left when passing me. Thanks, folks! Appreciate the room.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Site Admin

Default Is Driver Behavior changing?

Haven, do you think that drivers are actually becoming more courteous? I'm wondering if motorist behavior might actually be changing.

I've heard three different reasons why increasing the number of cyclists makes it safer for all:
  1. Motorists are more likely to expect (i.e., look for) cyclists as a potential conflict.
  2. Motorists are more likely to be, themselves, cyclists, and thus more sensitive to the issues facing cyclists.
  3. Facilities are more likely to be cycling enabled (i.e., left turn lights that actually turn when you wait).

I have seen an almost overwhelming amount of press in the last two weeks as people are parking their cars and inflating their bike tires. I'm wondering if it might be having an effect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
On my ride in this morning:
<snip>
Also, 95% of the cars who passed me on the part of Durham between Upper Boones and whatever that road is that Bed Bath and Beyond is on (is that 72nd there?) stayed WAY over to the left when passing me. Thanks, folks! Appreciate the room.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Nice Try!

Was riding to KFC on Cedar Hills Blvd, Beaverton... I was on the sidewalk (no bikelane, lots of traffic), not going too fast. I noted a driver Silver SUV coming out of the Radio Shack/KFC parking lot...

He spotted me, checked behind him, and backed up... Me, I just pulled into the Radio Shack parking lot, so his move was unnecessary, but appreciated!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Site Admin

Default Oh, man...

Riding N on 4th Ave downtown this afternoon, went through an intersection with nobody behind me and just as I got through, my pannier jumped off (stupid user error). I heard it and had rolled probably 20 feet beyond it before I stopped, turned and saw it lying there, all forlorn and ridiculous, with a line of traffic coming up behind it. The driver in front of the line just stopped and waited while I whipped around, parked the bike and darted out to grab it. I gave a sheepish, sorry wave and he nodded a friendly, understanding reply and not a single car in the line behind him even honked. It was a whole big, stopped line of nice drivers. I love this town.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Site Admin

DJasonpenny, I'm not sure if it's drivers' attitudes changing or if it's just that people are noticing and posting about positive actions.

It also might be a product of where people are riding-- I'm down here in Tigard (I'm lucky enough to live and work in the same city-sorta- with a 5+ mile commute), and I really haven't had many problems with the drivers here.

Although, with gas prices so crazy and everyone looking for relief, I like to think that the drivers are seeing us cyclists in a new perspective-- as the smart ones!

I like to point out positive things to people; this site tends to get so negative when it comes to motorized road users, and that doesn't help the non-motorized revolution. No one likes a smear campaign.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Site Admin

The "hazards" thing - it's not too uncommon for a car to yield out of turn (for example, to allow a car pulling out of a driveway) - I do this sometimes, particularly if it seems like the road is busy and the person would have to wait a while for a clearing to pull through.

The blinking hazards thing might be that driver's way of saying "I'm stopping for a reason, don't just pass around me on the left" as will sometimes happen when you stop for a pedestrian crossing the street. Someone pulls around you and WHAM, nearly hits the very person you were trying to allow to cross.