Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Site Admin

Yesterday, finishing a 45 mile ride, turning on to my street, a car facing me yielded to my left turn at an uncontrolled residential intersection. It's nice to see a positive thread on bike/car interactions. I always make sure to give courteous drivers a thank you wave; it's like money in the bank.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Site Admin

My interactions with drivers in Portland are overwhelmingly positive. I signal, I stop, I mostly act like a car and there are many exchanges of waves and smiles and general give-and-take courtesy.

A FedEx driver nearly killed me downtown one day because he just didn't look - jumped into his truck and started rolling on into a right on red just as I got to him on my green. All tires screamed and we both stopped with about an inch between us. He followed me for two blocks so that he could honk and yell across two lanes, "I'M REALLY, REALLY SORRY!!!"
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Site Admin

Default fine

this guy in a HUGE, black, turbo-diesel pickup truck motioned for me to go in front of him even though he didn't have a stop sign and i did (i was stopped).
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Site Admin

seems like all the drivers in Multnomah Village are really super nice. I get lots of smiles and cars stopping even when they aren't obligated to let me through, even left turns.

glad to see the positive thread here!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Site Admin

it is too bad that we far more often remember and/or hear about the bad drivers. Since this thread started I've been trying to mentally catalog my good-driver experiences, and there have been many more than bad.

This morning's: coming down Clinton to work @ around 7am - I get passed at the 34th Ave intersection by a woman roadie who is blowing every stop-sign with barely a sideways glance to make sure cars are coming. We're going roughly the same speed (except that I'm actually stopping at the stop-signs) so I shadow her for a while to see what she does at the 4-way stops. She blew 26th and then took a right on 21st - only slowing down enough to actually make the corner. A car headed southbound on 21st (in the opposite direction) watches her do this and the lady driving rolls her eyes and shakes her head. As I stop at the stop sign a few beats after the car, who is already stopped, I see her notice me, smile, and wave me through. I'm in "cycling PR mode" at this point and insist she goes first - but she crosses her arms and won't budge (again with a big smile on her face). I mouthed "THANK YOU!" and rode on.

Maybe she was rewarding me for stopping? Either way, it was a nice gesture, especially a few seconds after watching a cyclist flout the law.

--
Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Site Admin

And now I've got another one!

On my ride home from work last night, I have to go up a kind-of steep hill in a residential area that has no bike lane, no shoulder, varying widths-- and speed humps. It's a 25mph piece of road.

So I'm huffing and puffing, dragging myself up this hill by sheer force of will (hey, it was a long day at work), having taken the lane... and I hear a car approaching behind me.

I push a little harder to get to the wide spot faster, and glance in my mirror-- the car is hanging way back (two car lengths), waiting for me.

I get to the wide spot and swing over to the right, and they get over into the other lane to pass me-- giving me the full width of the lane, not just 3 feet.

I look over with a smile as they pass, and they smile back and nod politely; they didn't even gun the motor and take off like usually happens to me.

Oh, and earlier, at the two four-way stops I have to go through, people waited politely for me to clear the intersection on my turn instead of rushing me from one side or the other. Awesome.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Site Admin

Default Nice, yet somewhat awkward

I have two incidents to report from this very morning's ride to work:

1) I came to a 4-way stop at the same time as a car from the opposite direction. I was signaling a left turn, the car opposite me was not signaling. Even though I believe the car driver had the r-o-w (straight ahead trumps left turn, all else being equal), she waved me through and waited for me to make my turn.

2) As I was approaching my workplace, I needed to make a left turn from the street into the driveway of my office complex. Following proper VC form, I signaled a left turn and merged over toward the center line. There was a truck coming from behind me, and about 5 - 7 oncoming cars that I was preparing to wait for. I think it was about the third one of the oncoming cars (a Volvo, no less) that actually stopped and turned on their hazards, holding up the 3 - 4 remaining vehicles, then waved me through my turn.

While I appreciate these gestures and the awareness/cooperative spirit they represent, it usually makes me uncomfortable when the normal rules of the road are suspended on my account because drivers want to be nice.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

Default Hate it when they're too nice...

I agree, it actually makes it less safe when they wave us through because it surprises everyone--the other cars in the intersection as well as me.

More on this rant here

Quote:
Originally Posted by biciclero View Post
While I appreciate these gestures and the awareness/cooperative spirit they represent, it usually makes me uncomfortable when the normal rules of the road are suspended on my account because drivers want to be nice.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Site Admin

Lightbulb I guess I'm not the only one who generally doesn't like being waved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonpenney View Post
I agree, it actually makes it less safe when they wave us through because it surprises everyone--the other cars in the intersection as well as me.

More on this rant here
I would have to agree with you on this. I usually dislike being yielded to at a stop sign when it's not required by law.

As a cyclist living on the east side of Vancouver, I've noticed something odd about drivers here (Vancouver) and there (Portland). Any other suburbanites may also have noticed this, but I have yet to find many other ones who cycle. Here in suburbia, of the few drivers who do yield to a cyclist when it isn't necessary, a majority of them tend to hold the "holier-than-thou" mentality, yielding to what they consider to be toys. When I ride in Portland, however, most drivers who do seem to yield out of respect for cyclists as another legitimate road user. It's one of those differences that really gives Portland a much better air about the city concerning cycling.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Site Admin

I don't mind drivers yielding to me and waving me on if it's a fluid action that doesn't unnecessarily disrupt traffic flow . The deal with the guy putting on his flashers is a new one on me. That seems a bit much, unless he had a really good reason; particularly bad section of road, traffic, etc.

Strangely, one of the more difficult things I find myself dealing with, are the reflections on car windows. Often, I have a hard time seeing the driver inside the car well enough to know for sure what they're doing. Opaque tinted windows are the worst. That can kind of slow movement.