Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Site Admin

Default Wilshire Park to The Pearl

Anyone have any suggestions on the best route from Wilshire Park to The Pearl (around Davis and 13th)?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Site Admin

Here is the PDOT bike route map

I've only ridden on the east side on weekends, so I can't make any specific weekday recommendations. Skidmore to Vancouver, over the Broadway Bridge, wander up into NW Portland would be my plan.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Site Admin

Thanks, I'm aware of the bike map, but what I'm interested in is the best route. It seems that blindly following the green lines on the map don't make for the best ride. Avoiding as many traffic lights, dangerous intersections and stop signs would be the best way to go. There seems like there should be a way to bike from Wilshire Park, through Alameda and Irvington while avoiding most bad streets and stop signs. Knott might be a good street to try since it's pretty wide and it usually has the right of way over the numbered streets. Klickitat is marked green, but there are a bunch of stop signs on it, so it would take a while to make your way down 20 or so blocks, since I'm one of those few people who actually stops at stop signs.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Site Admin

Oh, I'd be the other one that stops at stop signs. I like Ainsworth on weekends, but I'm told it isn't so great on weekdays.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Site Admin

I used to have the same route (NE 37th and Bryce to 13th and Hoyt). The best advice I can give is to experiment and figure out what works best for you. I started going down NE Knott to and from work and I hated it. Sure it is a wide road with not many traffic lights, but too much traffic for my tastes. Here is the route I used to the Pearl.

1. NE Bryce and left on NE Regence
2. NE Regence and left on NE 21 and right on NE Fremont
3. NE Fremont (sprint) to and left on NE 14 or 13
4. Right on NE Siskiyou and right on NE 7
5. Quick left on NE Mason
6. NE Mason (cross MLK with no light) and left on N Van or Williams (I can never remember which on is southbound).
7. Right on N Russell and immediate left on N Flint (follow sign to Broadway bridge)
8. Right on N Broadway and over the bridge

From here I'd take Lovejoy, but you might find it easier to travel down Broadway and make a right on Davis.

On the way home I'd go over the bridge and take the bike on NE Weidler up to NE 21. Turn right on NE Tillamook. Left on NE 23rd and right on NE Regence to go back home.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Site Admin

Default My routes to downtown (modify for the Pearl)

Here is my route from the Wilshire Park area to Downtown via the Broadway Bridge. Certainly, the Broadway dumps you right into the Pearl via Lovejoy.

I've tried many different routes since last summer and throughout the winter and this is the one I keep coming back to. The worst part is crossing MLK at Failing, but it's not bad if you're patient.

Returning back, I come via Steel Bridge, but more importantly, I go all the way up to Skidmore for an easy, mellow ride to the top of Alameda ridge. Note, crossing MLK at Mason is easier with this route.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Site Admin

Cool map squareman. I meant to say I crossed MLK using NE Morris.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Site Admin

Sabernar: I live on NE 20th & Stanton (between Fremont & Knott) and bike past Wilshire Park every day. I also go downtown frequently, so I know the streets pretty well. There isn't a perfect route from Wilshire Park to downtown, but this is what I usually take:

ye olde google maps

Since you're heading to the Broadway Bridge anyway, I usually find it's fastest to just get to Broadway, and then zip down. You can make it from 21st to the bridge pretty quickly if you push it, but there's a lot of drivers on Broadway who pull stupid stunts, so I would advise not being in a hurry--about three out of five trips I get cut off by some jackass who crosses the bike lane without signalling.

The only alteration from the linked route I would suggest is zigging down to 20th or 19th after you get down the hill; 21st is fine, but anything just off that is going to be quieter, if a touch slower.

Last edited by MrBread; 07-06-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Used the wrong link code (forgot it was vbase, not html)