Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Site Admin

Default out & about in NE/SE

So being from the NW and doing most of my longer rides either north or south of Portland or through the Hills, I don't see much the NE or SE. Today I had to ::cringe:: drop off my car at the service station to get it ready for a long trip out of town early next week, and, of course, I brought my bike along to do all my errands.

My trusty steed and I took off towards the Grand/MLK area, we took care of some necessary business, and then called Pets on Broadway, which, unfortunately, had not gotten in what I needed to buy. So, not wanting to ride back to the west-side and then back to the east-side later to pick up the car, I decided to take off on a little adventure through NE/SE. I wound up sitting at a lovely Gelato/coffee place up on Everett and 20-something for awhile and then took off through NE for a little bit. I didn't go very far or see all that much, but what I did see has completely changed my opinion about the east-side.

I used to go out to the Hawthorne/Belmont area to hit up the bars, but for the most part I've been a die-hard, "West side Portland is the place to be!' guy (I mean, come-on, we've got a ton of shit over here and that big thing called Forest Park is my favorite place to be). I, however, believe I've realized the error in my ways and want to explore that 'other' half of the city. So I ask you, People of Bikeportland.org, where should I go adventuring on the east side? I'd love advice for both spandex clad training rides and leisurely, coffee-drinking rides. So, places to go? to eat? etc? Oh, also, being naive about that area, any places to definitely avoid?

-Russell
Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Site Admin

Welcome to the best part of Portland, Russell!

In terms of places to ride, I like Mt. Tabor and Rocky Butte, finishing up with a cruise down Fremont (great places for coffee and gelato).

Riding along Willamette Blvd. out to St. Johns and around Kelley Point is another good east side ride. The Portland or Metro bike maps will give you good routes for these rides.

For neighborhoods to check out, sounds like you already know Hawthorne and Belmont. There are a number of similar old "streetcar" neighborhoods on the east side, all bike-friendly. Mississippi Avenue is a wonderful up-and-coming neighborhood. NE Alberta is great as well. Division is up and coming, particularly between 12th and 50th - try Pok Pok or Lauro Kitchen. There are also some great restaurants springing up along Killingsworth - Roux and Authentica are favorites of mine. Sellwood's fun too, via the Springwater Corridor.

Some destinations or sights to see: Peninsula and Ladd's Addition Rose Gardens in May-July if you like our city's official flower. I love the beautiful old homes along Alameda, which is a great street for bikes as well.

Those are just a few ideas...others will surely have more. But you know, you really can't go wrong with just picking out a neighborhood at random and exploring, either. Just stay west of 82nd...not too much to see past there.

Have fun!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Site Admin

Default if you're up for a longer ride...

one of my favorite routes out this way is up the old Columbia River Gorge Highway. The slog up Halsey to get out to Troutdale isn't very pretty, but once you find yourself meandering on rolling hills past the Sandy river you forget all about Halsey. Here's the route. - 62 miles round trip from my house in SE (around 69th) and 2000+ ft of climbing for the day.

I know that some folks take that road clear up to the Bridge of the Gods, but I've never gone any further than Multnomah Falls myself. Aside from the may beautiful waterfalls along the road, there's more than a few scenic look-outs along the way too.

Happy riding.

--