Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Beaverton Transit Center... AGAIN!!!!

(forgive me, I don't have pics yet... I'll get them tomorrow)

I don't know what it is specifically about the Beaverton Transit Center, but it has happened again. I'm heading SB on Lombard, trying to decide if I ride the bike or if I board a bus.

I live to the North and East of the BTC. Crossing SW Lombard twice (once to get in the SB bike lane, once to get over to the transit center) doesn't make sense to me. Riding on the sidewalk is A) Legal (as long as I'm not going too fast, or passing peds w/o warning), B) Practical. Nothing is going to change that... that is except for the motorists exiting, or in one case entering the Quick Drop area. For those of you who are not familiar w/the BTC, just on the North of the WB track is an area that allows drivers to pull in and drop off, or pick up riders.

There are sidewalks and bike lanes on both the East (NB) and West (SB) sides of SW Lombard. The driveway for the Quick Drop cuts across the East, and it has a stopsign, it has very badly deterorated crosswalk lines. There is a hedge on the North side of the quickdrop area that although low, because the pavement is below grade prevents some drivers from observing me, other riders, and peds approaching the driveway.

This is where I had todays trouble. It has happened on many occasions, but today was one of the worst for me, due to the sheer size of the SUV, and the speed that the MORON behind the wheel was driving it. Remember, the Quickdrop is to the East, I'm heading South, so the sun was in my eyes. I was wearing my yellow coat. A motorist who was paying attention wouldn't have had any problem, short of that damned hedge in seeing me. I know to carefully watch that area. I spotted the SUV backing up, out of one of the parking spots, then speed for the intersection... I slowed, hoping that the driver would stop, but he barely slowed as he blew the stopsign and turned North. Had I not stopped, I'd have been broadsided at speed by this impatient SHITHEAD. I wish I could have thrown a brick into his path, but I had to settle for just yelling at that guy, and he did hear me, but I have no clue what he mouthed at me... I'm not a lip reader. This is not the first time I've had problems here. I'm not sure, but I think I've had the same problem with the same driver before. I did not get his license plate.

I've called TriMet about this problem before, I called again today. I've now added calls into Mayor Rob Drake's 24Hour Hotline. I'm afraid that someone someday is going to be hit, and perhaps killed here.

I would recommend:
  1. Eliminating the hedge.
  2. Add a series of speedbumps to slow motorists, including one at the stop line.
  3. Add a caution sign reminding drivers of bikes/peds.
  4. Add a video camera to record the intersection.
  5. Perhaps painting the crosswalk differently (green/blue, add stripes)

If you find yourself dodging traffic here, add your voice to my complaint, I don't want to be going to a funeral or a hospital due to apathy for a known problem spot.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 04-17-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Site Admin

Today was a bad day for riding.

Almost hit a red light running bicyclist. If it was you, pay enough attention to see oncoming traffic! (Downtown).

WB Milikan. There is a small office complex, and the driveway is directly across from the road. Had to swerve my rollerblades (and dog) to miss someone not watching the sidewalk. I was only going about 10mph, or else my dog would have been hit. ORS calls inline skates pedestrian impliments, therefore I should be on the sidewalk, and nowhere does it say I can't be towed by a dog. It does say that people need to yeild to me in a crosswalk though.

Wether it is legal or makese sense to ride on the sidewalk out here (and sometimes I will) absolutely NO ONE checks before entering a crosswalk. I wish Beaverton or Washington County would crack down on it.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Site Admin

I would recommend riding on the street, where drivers look.

I ride through there (Lombard) fairly often, and have not ever had a close call. But I ride on the street.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 04-17-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: clearing up where lynnef rides
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Site Admin

Default Principle of Least Astonishment

An important principle of traffic safety is to avoid, whenever possible, astonishing other drivers. John Forester states a corollary of this: "Cyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles."

I'm not a rabid vehicular cyclist, but I strongly subscribe to the Principle of Least Astonishment.

Riding on the left side of the street surprises drivers (unless you're in the United Kingdom).

Riding on the sidewalk surprises drivers, because you're moving quickly and you are removed from the lanes of traffic.

That being said, there are indeed places where I ride on the left side. Southbound on Cornelius Pass road, I turn left at Johnson and then ride on the sidewalk to the shopping center where my bead shop is. Many times of day I feel this is preferable than trying to make an unprotected left a half a block from TV Highway.

However, I <em>always</em> expect that motorists won't see me when I do this, and I don't get upset when I have to stop for them. This includes traffic overtaking me southbound that might turn left into the driveways, approaching traffic that may turn right into driveways, and cars exiting the driveways.

Just because it's <em>legal</em> to ride on sidewalks, doesn't mean it's a good idea. In fact, it's almost never advisable.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Site Admin

Sidewalks work as long as you are *like* a pedestrian.

Sidewalks are not direction-limited but lots of care must be taken when crossing streets or driveways... you know... look both ways.

I ride where it is safe, and high speed rush hour traffic is simply not safe... and a sidewalk comes in quite handy *if* you can slow your pace.

If I can keep up a good clip, I'll use the bike lane, in the proper direction only!-of course... and watch for the inevitable right hooks.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

I live in the area. You'd think I'd know the streets better, but I don't. Is that Lombard that T's into Center and passes through the transit center? I ride Center enough, and always have occasion to look down that lo-o-o-ng stretch of concrete road that leads into the transit center when I stop at the stop sign located at the T intersection. Looks to be few businesses or residences entering into it, so it's a natural for speedy motor vehicles.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down 100% Failure... Today.

Wsbob,
SW Lombard is the street that the BTC is located on, and it does end at SW Center. The problem is where the Quick drop area (just North of the MAX tracks) exits onto SW Lombard.

Today, like yesterday I rode on the sidewalk, there were no cars exiting onto Lombard while I crossed the intersection. I watched the area for a couple of minutes while I waited for the bus today. I saw 4 cars exit, and not one stopped, most were speeding up as they blew through the sidewalk. I know that it is a small sample but I wasn't surprised.

Just my observations
K'Tesh
Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Site Admin

K-Tesh... imagine how dangerous you'd be with a video cam

Last edited by Simple Nature; 04-18-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Video? I've thought about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
imagine how dangerous you'd be with a video cam

Trust me, I've thought about that... I've even got an idea of where to hide while I record... across the street, facing the area is an electrical box that I could hide behind.

Perhaps give a copy to the BAC, The Beaverton City Council, Local TV News... Youtube?

I've also thought about putting a brick on a stick sticking out about 7' in front of my bike... Get too close? Instant autobody work...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

ps I stole the smilies from http://forums.mtbr.com

Last edited by K'Tesh; 04-18-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Site Admin

I rode by on Center today K'Tesh, and confirmed that the street I was thinking of was Lombard. Didn't ride south on Lombard past the point where the trouble you had happened, but it doesn't surprise me at all that people are blasting out of there without stopping. Sounds like, based on your observation and experience, Beaverton cops could get a case of writers cramp if they staked that intersection out and wrote citations for all the violators.

In this section of Lombard, there doesn't seem to be an average volume of traffic present (or, enforecement?), so maybe some motorists have it in their head that they don't have to stop.

I'll try and walk or ride by that intersection this weekend to take a look.