Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Site Admin

Default Helmet brand for (cough) LARGE heads?

I was going to a friend's house in my neighborhood and noticed a gentleman who usually walks was instead riding his shiny new red Specialized bike. Naturally I stopped to chat with him and complement him on his new wheels. He is all set except for a helmet. He lamented that he was having problems finding a helmet that fit his head. He is easily 6 ft tall and heavy-set. He prefers skateboard type helmets, like Nutcase.

Can anyone suggest a brand and/or store that has larger sizes in stock to send my new friend to?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Site Admin

Hat size would help, i.e., 7 5/8, 7 3/4. That's basically my hat size, and I'm using a Bell Solar...may not be a current model. The Solar fits great, allows enough room for a neckerchief helmet liner.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Site Admin

Tell him to check on the Fox brand skate style helmets, their L/XL size is BIG when the thinest pads are used. ( http://www.backcountry.com/fox-racing-transition-helmet )

I normally wear a Large size helmet from other manufacturers (my L nutcase helmet has one thin and one medium thick pad in it for reference). I purchased a fox skate style L/XL helmet online at a clearance price and even with the thickest pads it shipped with it was too large for me. I ended up giving it to a buddy of mine who normally has trouble finding helmets because of his gigantic head and I don't think he even has the thinest pads in it.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Site Admin

A monster-headed friend of mine found a nice fit in a Bern helmet. I'm not sure which one, but he had to get an XXL or maybe XXXL and couldn't find it in a store, so he bought it online.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Site Admin

Bell makes helmets in larger sizes.