Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Cleaning panniers with a capital Pee

I've got a pair of Orleib backrollers, which my cat decided looked like a fantastic please to relieve itself. Any ideas how to get the stench out? I've been hosing them down with this enzymatic cleaner that worked like magic on a columbia jacket, but so far it doesn't seem to be helping here. I'd happily pay someone to get them clean at this point - I don't want to have to throw them out, and my back just can't do an hour commute without them...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstator View Post
I've got a pair of Orleib backrollers, which my cat decided looked like a fantastic please to relieve itself. Any ideas how to get the stench out? I've been hosing them down with this enzymatic cleaner that worked like magic on a columbia jacket, but so far it doesn't seem to be helping here. I'd happily pay someone to get them clean at this point - I don't want to have to throw them out, and my back just can't do an hour commute without them...
Nature's Miracle- available at most pet supply stores....I should own stock in this company....I've bought about a 55 gallon drum's worth over the years! Saturate the area with NM then soak soak a wash cloth with it and leave it sitting on the stained area for a while-then rinse with clean warm water.

Lots of luck....pissing little bastards
Old 04-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Site Admin

Default nature's miracle

i second that. nature's miracle is excellent.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Site Admin

Yeah, that's what I've been using. I soaked them last night in regular old laundry detergent, and so far it seems to have helped a lot. Maybe one more shot of nature's miracle, and as long as the waterproofing isn't hosed...
Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Site Admin

Default Another enzyme cleaner: Biozyme

This is manufactured by Cleanup Hand Cleaner Company, a Portland enterprise. I like it better than Nature's Miracle.

What you don't want to hear, and what I could not find mentioned on the Nature's Miracle bottle, is that using detergents before applying an enzme cleaner inhibits the enzyme action. So, ideally, you first soak up as much of the urine as possible with rags -- maybe dampen the rags with water to coax out and dilute the urine -- and then you spray on the enzyme cleaner. It will definitely take more than one application, with a good 12 or 24 hours between each application.

Since you've already used detergent, you could soak the bags thoroughly and repeatedly to get the detergent rinsed out and then apply the enzyme. Don't give up. This stuff really works and I'd be very surprised if you can't save your bags.

You can get Biozyme at Maranatha Pet Supply at 1711 SE Hawthorne. While you're there, you could pick up some nice toys or the freshest, strongest cat nip in town to distract your wayward kitties toward more socially acceptable pursuits.

Could you please let us know the eventual outcome? Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Site Admin

All better now. I think the natures mircale broke it down enough in the first four or five applications that the laundry detergent was able to wash the remainder away pretty easily. For that step, by the way, I put the bags in a heavy-duty garbage bag, filled it with water and a half-scoop of Tide in the laundry room sink, and let them soak for several hours. Rinsed, hung them in the shower from wire hangers, and gave the cats one more lecture.

I guess I won't be making that donation to the cosmetics testing plant after all.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Site Admin

Default I know I'm late

but........

Nature's Miracle also make a skunk type shampoo for dogs, that might also help out. It did with our idiotic dog who wasn't satisfied to be sprayed once, but had to come back for seconds. Petco carries it.