Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Site Admin

Default my open letter to trimet

Friday April 3rd while biking on Freemont Ave Ne around 25th Avenue the bus driving Route 33 (bus #2229) forced its way past me using its horn and tailgating me, onlt to stop directly in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes. My problem with this drivers behavior is:
1) attempting to take the right of way. I was biking as far to the right as was safe and practicable- if the driver felt it was unsafe to pass me while I was as far to the right as was safe then the answer is not to use his horn or tailgate, but to wait until it is safe. The driver may have thought I could have been further over, but I am ceratin s/he did not see the person about to get out of their car, or the other dangers that are specific cyclists.

2 Tailgating is illegal! And dangerous.

So much for your safety focus.

Duncan
Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Site Admin

Interesting. How far would you say that the bus was from its eventual stop when it started tailgating and honking at you? If you were as far to the right as possible, did that still leave you in front of the bus somewhat? What kind of honks did the driver make? Short beeps, or longer soundings? How close to you was the bus when the horn was sounding. Nothing quite as annoying or distressing as the vehicle waiting until it gets 6' feet away before laying on the horn. Dangerous too.

Sometimes people driving cars, trucks and buses will give the person on a bike their due and sometimes they don't. I think it helps to paint as clear a picture of the incident as possible when you try to make a point to an outfit such as Tri-met.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Site Admin

Trimet is protected by the city fathers... you can't touch em and they know it. The worst we ever see is a slap on the wrist... and that is when the news gets a hold of it and the public demands answers. Often this means someone died.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
Interesting. How far would you say that the bus was from its eventual stop when it started tailgating and honking at you? If you were as far to the right as possible, did that still leave you in front of the bus somewhat? What kind of honks did the driver make? Short beeps, or longer soundings? How close to you was the bus when the horn was sounding. Nothing quite as annoying or distressing as the vehicle waiting until it gets 6' feet away before laying on the horn. Dangerous too.

Sometimes people driving cars, trucks and buses will give the person on a bike their due and sometimes they don't. I think it helps to paint as clear a picture of the incident as possible when you try to make a point to an outfit such as Tri-met.
The honk was short, but so was the distance (less than 800 feet) he no more got past me then started slowing down quickly to make the stop.

Yes I was still in front of him when I was as far to the right as possible- it wasnt a good place to pass. There were a lot of parked cars and two of them had people (potenial doorers to me) at the wheel. Thats the thing, I dont have to stop or endanger myself to let him by, merely stay as far right as I can safely, which I did. And seeing as we had been leap frogging since 57th (he was speeding on that section of Freemont that is 20MPH, but so was I... so I left that fact out. 26 in a 20. Bad dog...very bad dog), s/he should have known that I was booking it.

At his closest he was about three feet behind me... way to fucking close.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I was as far to the right as possible
I had a cop scold me downtown because I WAS STAYING TO THE RIGHT when there wasn't enough room for any car, let alone a bus, to pass. He told me quite clearly to "establish my position in the lane" ie. take the whole lane and claim it (rightfully) as my own. So far I've been OK with this strategy and haven't really been bothered by motorists.