Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Casual pants?

I ride my bike to shop/go to bars, etc. and I've noticed that my jeans are starting to wear out really quickly from the bike seat. I own spandex bike shorts but I don't want to wear those to the grocery store-- and I don't want to have to change when I'm going on errands.

Anyone have any recommendations on pants or materials to wear for casual cycling that won't get such bad seat wear? I've called Patagonia because they have a lot of clothing that's supposed to be durable, but they didn't know about whether it would stand up to biking.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Site Admin

Default Wool Pants

The best and cheapest I've found are simple, cheap wool pants. I paid about $15 at (Andy and Bax? - the army-navy store on MLK) for a grey, likely cold war Germany made pair, with button fly. Roll up or cut the legs a bit so they stay away from the drivetrain, wear cycling shorts underneath if you're spending much time in the saddle. They're tough and shed water well too.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Site Admin

I hear good things about MUSA pants from Rivendell.

Or Swurve.

All of which will cost more than several pairs of wool pants from Andy and Bax.

Last edited by lynnef; 04-04-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Site Admin

Default dickies

i've been wearing cutoff dickies for years. I will wear the ass out of a pair per year (or more), but they cost around $15 ea. They're kinda stiff, but once you break them in they're really comfy.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Site Admin

Default Andy & Bax...

infantry pants. they have a reinforced... er... crotch, and last forever. I have two pairs that that I have cut off just below the knee (so as not to have to cuff them) that serve as my commuter pants. One of the two has been my every-day/every-other-day commuter pants (over tights) for the last two years with no noticeable wear and tear.

just under $30 at Andy & Bax. Seams worth it to me.

--
Old 04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Site Admin

Default sweet...

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Site Admin

It's not the pants it's the bike.
Roadie, drop bar set ups put you more forward causing more stress on your britches. I ride an upright city bike with a chain guard. No need to roll up one pants leg, ( if y'all only knew how silly you look) and putting the abrasion on the proper part of the pants, the seat you really get very little wear. That's not to say I don't like the look of some knickers out there, but at my job I don't have time or patience to change pants just to ride in to work, so I've followed the model of societies who seem to have mastered bike transport without trying to look like Lance.

Last edited by Tbird; 04-04-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: ooops!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Site Admin

Default Drop bars

You know it is funny when people use any means to expound upon their philosophy. TBird for example takes a discussion about pants to state that upright bikes are better than drop bar bikes, with chain gaurds no less.

You say that one leg looks funny? I think it is funny that some people prefer to fight the wind with their chest, carry around three pounds of metal to do the job an ounce of ribbon will do, and use huff along at ten miles an hour when with the right bike they could be doing twenty.

But you know what else I like- Cute girls on Dutch bikes, spandex clad racing paeletons, that cute short girl on the classic Bianchi, old ladies on trikes and even the hipsters on fixies (the ones that can brake anyway). In short I like diversity- people choosing the ride that best fit their needs and desires.

Thats what I think.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Site Admin

Default have to agree

well said, Duncan.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Site Admin

I second the Dickies and wool pants suggestions. Ben Davis are swell as well. The polyester factor keeps them together and they dry off much faster than cotton. Dark colors rarely show road dirt. Except for the nastiest of nasty days, which we have very few of, I find I don't have to change for work or anything else. I wouldn't have time to anyway. I don't own any biking specific shorts.

Sorry Tbird. I roll up the pants. I have one bike with drops and one with a semi-upright touring set up. One is fixed and one has about a million gears. Sometimes I'm fast, sometimes I'm slow. I guess there's something there to infuriate everyone. See you out there. Every day.