Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Site Admin

Default reckless driver BMW SUV license # "PROF GC"

Reckless driver passed me my inches or less at a high rate of speed on the burnside bridge during construction (and crossed over the double yellow lines)

I was next to him at a red light and he said "stay out of my way- get on the construction side of the cones- bikes don't belong in the street"

License plate said "PROF GC"

Please post any replies to this incident in the reply thread.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-31-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added link to reply thread
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry 069 CBF Green SUV

Was riding with Lily on our new bikes tonight. Between us, we had 4 tail lights, lots of reflectors, but not my typically riding illumination (I'm still outfitting the new bike).

Turned off of SW Bel Aire Dr. onto SW Denny Rd, (westbound), heading for SW King Blvd, and home.

Passed by three cars that each yielded the lane to us (Lily was point). Fourth car, which I could see in the rearview, decided to "play" with us. ASSHAT passed me by less than 6 inches.

I had a helmet light, and easily got the license plate... 069 CBF, belonging to some kind of green SUV.

Contacted 911, gave a description of what happened and then to the responding officer. Was told he'd talk to the owner.

I'm hoping that this was some kid, who's going to get an education (like how much cheaper shoes are than car payments) by a very pissed off parent.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation Near Right hooked on bike lane!

Heading south on Oleson (IN BIKE LANE) after making a right from Beaverton Hillsdale, car white Toyota (faded white paint) #EBB599 moves up 10 bicycle lengths ahead of me stops suddenly, puts signal on late and attempts to cross over bike lane and onto his apartment driveway when I'm 2 bike lengths behind. I yelled stop twice with a very loud biker fit voice and he stopped, after which he says "You're riding illegally." After which I vehemently stated while riding off, "No, your wrong, you should obey the traffic laws!!!"

I would have stopped had it come to a deadly hook, but luckily he stopped prior to my having to put on my full brakes.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 06-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Site Admin

Came back to his apartment and pasted this to his windshield:
Oregon Driver's HandbooK
Page 38
Right Turns
Well ahead of the turning point, check for traffic behind and beside you.
Turn on your right turn signal at least 100 feet before the turn and before
you need to brake. Get as close as is practical to the right curb or edge of
the road without interfering with pedestrians or bicyclists. A bicycle lane
is considered the edge of the roadway. Do not move into a bicycle lane
in preparation for a right hand turn. Just before entering the intersection,
look to the left, front and right for oncoming traffic and cross traffic that
may also be turning. Always check for bicycles in your blind spot on
your right before turning, especially ones you have just passed. Be alert
for bicyclists who may ride up on the right side of your vehicle while
you are preparing to make the right turn. You must yield to bicyclists in a
bicycle lane or on a sidewalk before you turn across the lane or sidewalk.

Toyota 4 door sedan license plate# EBB599
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Rock Creek Guy... 069 FEC Lt. Red Toyota Tundra

Copied from OBRA's email list....

Quote:
My intention is to inform our community:
Vehicle Tag #: 069 FEC
Auto: Toyota Tundra (?) light red not sure on year. He was towing a flatbed trailer (about 5 x 7 feet) at time.
Description: white male, over-weight, about age 45-50, white hair and beard. Aggressive
Address: 14640 NW Rock Creek Road, Portland, OREGON- last name "Wheeler"
On Rock Creek Road, repeated harassment galvanizes the community

If you have a confrontation with this guy, report him to the police immediately.

Post any replies to this post by using the following link.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-20-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Site Admin

Default White BMW ZFA 336 on Alderwood

I was NB on Alderwood between Columbia and Cornfoot Rd (runs down the middle of the golf course near the airport) at 9Am on 20110922. I was riding as close to the shoulder as I could, doing about 22. There was a minivan behind me, and the white BMW plate ZFA 336 behind that.

The BMW started blowing its horn ans swerving into the other lane (I could see the movement in my mirror). The minivan started to pass, and the BMW tried to pass the minivan while it was passing me. After the minivan passed, the BMW passed blowing its horn and yelling out the window.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Site Admin

Default Cadillac Escalade YQA 135 - texting, blowing stop

I was travelling west on my bike on NE Hancock, just about to cross NE 45th, right about here.

You can see in the above streetview link that it's a two-way stop. I didn't have a stop sign, but the red or burgundy Cadillac Escalade approaching from the right did. The Escalade slow-rolled through the stop and turned right onto Hancock, cutting me off. If I hadn't braked in time it would have collided with me. I yelled something like, "what are you doing?", and as the Escalade turned I expected to be able to make eye contact with the driver. But once I could see into the car, I could see the driver was clearly nose-down looking at the screen of an iPhone, and had earbuds in his ears. Smallish guy with very short dark hair. Pretty sure he never even saw me or heard me.

It was dark out - about 6pm on a clear winter night - but I had a bright blinking light, and reflective jacket.

I continued on behind the Escalade, and held back instead of pulling up alongside it in the bike lane that begins in the next block of Hancock. And it was a good thing: the guy turned right without a turn signal, and without really stopping.

Out of curiosity I'm going to try to report it to PoPo. Not because I think there's much of a chance of anything coming of it, but I'm curious what comes of a report of bad behavior when there's a license plate number. Something I always wonder about when the usual jerks spout off about bicycles needing license plates.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Site Admin

These days people don't have any morals
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Thieves!!! Black Ford Pickup "JET MAN"

The duo driving this pickup were arrested for stealing two bikes off of a guys car.... Details from the front page are found here.

I know that they are considered innocent until proven guilty, but being caught in the act, I figure that they are worth keeping an eye out for. There's an allegation that the license plate was also stolen. So, I'd note that the vehicle was a Gloss Black Ford F-150 crew cab with the logos spray painted flat black, the license was also apparently covered by a tinted-clear plastic cover.

Steven Wayne Smart

Annie O'Donovan-Schwartz

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-28-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
the license was also apparently covered by a tinted-clear plastic cover.
I wish they would outlaw those like other states do... there's only two reasons I can think of to have one...

1) you're trying to black-out your car...
2) you're trying to avoid responsibility for breaking the law...

most that I see fall under #2... red-light cameras reflect off these and all you see is a white square in the picture it takes, so you can't get a ticket... and it's harder to read if you're trying to get the plate # while they're driving away from an incident...