Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry EKO 015 - Blue Hyundai Elantra

Tuesday night while I was on SW Hall Blvd I was egged by EKO 015 (a Blue Hyundai Elantra).

They had just left the Arby's Restaurant, but had attracted the attention of the manager, so he wrote down their plate, and witnessed the egging (I was also able to get the plate number thanks to my helmet headlight). I called the police, and the driver was caught, and is now facing Harassment charges (class B misdemeanor). His passengers (who threw the eggs), were also tracked down, and charged.

Please post replies here.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

Default UJE 602, Chevy Van

Northbound on N. Concord Friday evening 7/30/10, about 6 pm. Van driver passed aggressively and far too close (about 12 to 18 inches). Made immediate next left onto Emerson.
Vehicle is a battered white van in ill repair (belts whine) and driven by middle aged average american male.
The driver has access to a passenger car (license plate obscured) and a motorcycle with oregon plate 'hammer'.

Van can also be seen on google street view here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0731000915.jpg (24.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-19-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fixed image
Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Site Admin

Default YMF 718 - Silver Chevy Blazer

Location: Heading North on SE 17th Ave approximately one block North of SE Bybee
Date & Time: 1:10 pm 8/21/2010
Vehicle: Silver Chevrolet Blazer
Plates: OR YMF-718
Driver: Mid 60's Male, short grey or balding

As I was heading North on 17th, with my son in his trailer and wife close behind, as he sped past really close and yelled out, "Get the fuck off the road." while sticking his hand up through his sunroof with only his middle finger extended.

He didn't realize that we'd be able to catch him when he was caught by the light at 17th and McLoughlin. My wife confronted him while I got my phone out and started up the video. He let us know that roads are for cars and the people who pay for them. We let him know we owned a house, 2 cars, and pay our taxes. That is about the time I got the video rolling to inform him what he did was called menacing.

His parting shot was "...and your mayor is a faggot." Not sure how we got to that point but whatever, he was clearly insane.

I've got the last half on video, not sure what to do with it now.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-24-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added link to replies
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Site Admin

Cantell Sweeping

On Friday December 3 at about 10 AM I was rolling down SE Spokane Street toward the Springwater Trail and this street sweeper truck just blows through the stop sign at 7th right in front of me. I followed him to the bluff above Oaks Bottom and got him to roll down the window and told him that he had run the stop sign. He replied that he will run a bunch more before he is done. He was not sweeping, but going to a job. He apparently feels that he is entitled to disregard stops signs and that anyone who has an issue with that is an annoyance. From his high cab he told me to stop harassing him.

Apparently he has a contract with City of Portland Parks, as he then turned into the Sellwood Park parking lot, presumably to sweep.

Give this a$$hat a wide berth; he drives his multi-ton truck aggressively and with a sense of entitlement.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman View Post
Cantell Sweeping

Apparently he has a contract with City of Portland Parks, as he then turned into the Sellwood Park parking lot, presumably to sweep.
luckily with a business vehicle you can report them to their office and to their customer...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
luckily with a business vehicle you can report them to their office and to their customer...
Did both

Last edited by flying_dutchman; 12-06-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: unnecessary use of band width
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Site Admin

Default Caught on video: 824 EZT cut me off in green bike lane, BH & Bertha

Here's a link to the video of 824 EZT, a red Audi Station Wagon, not yielding me the green lane on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway where Bertha Blvd. splits off to head south to Barbur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPITpo6QqI

From my description of this on youtube:
Quote:
I took this with my helmet cam, 12/14/2010, about 8:45AM, eastbound Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway and Bertha Blvd, just before the Hillsdale commercial district. A red station wagon, 824 EZT, ignored the green-yield-to-bikes lane. I was not sure if the video would clearly depict the license plate. Just in case it did not, at the end of the video you hear me say the license plate. I also yelled at the car, "Thanks for stopping," even though it did not. I did that because by the time I would say, "You know, that's a green lane and you are supposed to yield for bicycles in it. Look there's a sign over there that tells you so" the car driver would be out of earshot. And, I think that there are worse things I could have yelled.
Here are 2 still pictures, one is a full frame from the original helmet cam video. The second is the license plate cropped from the first picture.

red_station_wagon_ignores_green_lane_frame_by_fram e0001 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Just the license plate from frame 0001 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Follow the links to flickr to see the first picture in higher resolution.

Last edited by setha; 12-15-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added still pictures from flickr
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Site Admin

looks like enough evidence for a citizen issued citation...
Old 12-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Site Admin

Default Can't id driver, so no citizen citation

Spiffy wrote, "looks like enough evidence for a citizen issued citation... "

I went to Ray Thomas's web page on the citizen citation process. See http://www.stc-law.com/citizenprosecutions.html

It says that you have to be able to identify the driver. I did not get a good look at the driver, and neither did the video camera. So the most that I can do is post it here and on youtube. 8-( .

Last edited by setha; 12-18-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added emoticon
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Site Admin

Light Blue Toyota Tercel - 2 door. License Plate 990 DTF.

I think this may be assault, I'm not sure. I felt in danger for my life and safety:

At approximately 6:40 a.m. on E. Burnside approaching the SE 82nd Ave. intersection:

As I was coming down the hill westbound on Burnside toward the stoplight. Pretty good clip - maybe 16-18 mph. I heard Tercel reving behind me. Despite the red light and stopped cars a mere 500 feet in front of us, he decided to pass as the bike lane ends. I signaled "Left" to let him know my lane was ending.

He passed within inches then slammed the brakes to stop in front of me. I rolled around his passenger side between his car and the curb and, Yes... I luggied (spit) on the roadway IN FRONT of his vehicle. Feedback. Subtle. I needed to spit after being freaked. I provided NO OTHER FEEDBACK or nonverbals whatsoever. I've practiced this response many times. None of my saliva even came close to his vehicle and he had a perfect view of where my spittle landed.

BUT He blew a gasket - I could hear him screaming inside his car as I moved to the front of the cue. Light went green - he's about 4-5 cars back.

Cars pass and I hear him... I'm in the bike lane... AND HE IS IN THE BIKE LANE BEHIND ME. I look back and he's coming like he's gonna hit me! And I brace for it and he swerves right at the last moment and screeches next to me, now he's in the parking lane- then he's whipping the car right into the side street we just came upon... maybe 3 blocks from the intersection as I'm staggering- and FREAKED THE HELL OUT - INTO THE ROADWAY to avoid him.

He jumps out and I've stopped my bike in the roadway to avoid him... I roll towards the bike lane and he's just cussing at me:

"F you you SOB, I am gonna kick your effen a##, Come here, I shoulda killed you, you piece of $ht."

You get the idea - he threatened to jump back in the car and run me down. I asked him what his concern was, why he was so mad and he responded that it was because I was a prick and deserved to be "f**king run the hell down".

So I said loudly over his ranting: "I'm going to take your license plate sir and report you. You threatened me with your vehicle after passing me dangerously and you didn't even have to pass me like that!"

He responded: "You do that you piece of sht and when I find you I will kill you. Come back here you pu##y and I’ll kick your f##kin a$$."

I rode away from him after getting the plate and repeating it several times out loud. He kept yelling and I looked back after 2 blocks and he'd gotten in his car and roared off down the side street.

Fearing for my safety I quickly took a side street, pulled behind a set of bushes, turned off my lights and waited. After about 5 minutes I meandered back to Burnside. Did not see this driver or his vehicle again.

Please watch for this person - I believe Burnside is his daily route. He's about 6'2 wearing a beige Carhart Jacket, blue jeans, white male, brown hair, some facial hair, ballcap.

[K'Tesh adds: Please follow the link to reply to this thread. Thanks]

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.