Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink For my next Trick...

You saw that I was able to get those junipers on 99W to dissappear.

Now, for my next trick... I want to get something larger, and far more dangerous to dissappear.

Looking West at the planter strip on 99W.

This Planter strip is blocking the bike lane. Its in the Eastbound lane (Southern side) of 99W, just to the East of Hwy 217 (between SW 79th Ave and SW Dartmouth St).

The bike lane ends just before it, and restarts right after it. It forces cyclists into traffic, or up onto the sidewalk. Why not Remove it?

Same Planter strip, facing East.

Removing the planter strip, and recurbing the sidewalk shouldn't be too hard.

Its an ODOT issue, and I've run this past their Bike/Ped Coordinator and he's for it. Its not going to be an overnight fix, but he's looking into how to get it removed.

Let's remove the barriers to cycling... and welcome those who will join us.

See something? Say Something!!!
Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 04-14-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Site Admin

Unhappy good work K tesh

after looking at your pictures from this and your other post about 99W, i realized this, Northbound on a bike is suicidal. i avoid this section at all costs, but then, i'm commuting from sherwood so i have more distance to find a better route.
i contemplated riding it last night up from 64th? onto barbur, but then thought better of it and crossed the street to work my way towards taylors ferry and the other side of barbur.
maybe i'm a pessimest, but i think riding up hill, in 35-50 mph traffic will still suck after the bike lane is there.
i hope i'm wrong.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
after looking at your pictures from this and your other post about 99W, i realized this, Northbound on a bike is suicidal.
(snip)
i think riding up hill, in 35-50 mph traffic will still suck after the bike lane is there.
i hope i'm wrong.
That's why I will sometimes ride on the sidewalk... I've been known to ride from work (in Tigard) to Reed College or to the Springwater Trail for fun, the least pleasant section is that hill.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Site Admin

Default Amazing

K'Tesh: You rock and inspire (I hope).
Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Site Admin

Besides it's obvious function as a planter strip, is there anything visible to someone at the site looking at the surroundings that would indicate what this bit of street infrastructure's original function might have originally been intended for?

Might it have some actual purpose in somehow directing traffic? Just wondering whether ODOT will buck the idea of removing this barrier for some such reason once they actually study it for possible removal.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

K-Tesh, you are a saint.

Who do I talk to about Burnham Road, the Worst Paved Road in Tigard?

I know the City is planning to redo that whole Main St-Burnham Rd area for their big Main St Revival plan, but until that occurs, Burnham is a terrible street.

I think 85% of that road is patched potholes with mismatched materials; 10% is potholes in the making and 5% is actual good street... but that 5% is in patches that don't connect!

Thanks for all your efforts!!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Cool A saint? Naw, just a crazy cyclist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
K-Tesh, you are a saint.

Who do I talk to about Burnham Road, the Worst Paved Road in Tigard?

I know the City is planning to redo that whole Main St-Burnham Rd area for their big Main St Revival plan, but until that occurs, Burnham is a terrible street.

(snip)

Thanks for all your efforts!!
A saint? I wouldn't say that, but thanks!

I'd first try Tigard Public Works along with a visit to the Tigard City Council. I've found that email seems to work better than phone calls (there's a paper trail to follow).

I'd go into the City Council meeting and request (with vigor) a Bike Advisory Council be formed... Recommend that the members visit Beaverton's BAC, and volunteer to be on Tigard's BAC. Tigard is now in a time that they are re-doing their transportation plan, perfect time to get involved.

Now, I'd love to be reading about other cyclist's issues (especially the one's that get resolved). We can make a difference!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-07-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb I haven't forgotten about this...

Sent this today to ODOT:

Quote:
Any news on my requests to get these pinchpoints addressed? I ask as I am moving to Sherwood, and expect that I'll be riding this route more frequently.

Pinchpoints. Where bikelanes narrow unnecessarily

99W by Dutch Bro's Coffee (11746 SW Pacific Hwy in Tigard Oregon)

And this piece of work by FastSigns (11525 Southwest Pacific Highway Tigard, Oregon)

Thanks,
K'Tesh
Already got a reply (at least it's an acknowledgment of the message)...

Quote:
Dear K'Tesh,
thank you for the email. It is a busy time right now for ODOT as we move into summer construction mode. I wanted to acknowledge we received your note and will be looking into this area and responding to you shortly.

Sincerely, Shelli

Shelli Romero, MPA
Public Policy & Community Affairs Mgr.
ODOT- Region 1
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Site Admin

Great photo documentation; those designs are literally insane! How did a licensed highway engineer actually sign off on those?! Why has ODOT not fixed it since K'Tesh brought it to their attention in September 2006? I understand that replacing extruded concrete curbing isn't as easy or cheap as many other fixes, but those are obvious deathtraps for cyclists using the designated bike lane.

PS -- Yes, it is road construction season...the time when those should be getting fixed!

Last edited by Alan; 05-15-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: PS
Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
And this piece of work by FastSigns (11525 Southwest Pacific Highway Tigard, Oregon)>
where should I send the citizen citation for going the wrong direction in the bike lane? c(:

seriously though, appreciate all your efforts to improve our routes... the most I do is remove signs (sandwich boards and road construction) from the bike lane when I happen upon them... and kicking other large obstacles out of the way as I coast by...