Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Bikepool Connections
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Site Admin

Talking Downtown to Aloha, Sunday afternoons

Right now I take NW Everett, Broadway, then SW Terwilliger to Beaverton-Hillsdale - the end goal being SW Farmington Road and 204th by 5 or so. I would love company since right now, I meekly hop on the sidewalk (or just walk, really) through stretches of Beaverton, and it would be great to be more visible and take the lane. Let's conquer the west side!

I leave from NW Everett and Trinity Place (the back end of the cathedral) at 3:30 on Sundays. I'm about intermediate, I think, but aren't really into toe clips and the slick bicycling scene. I'm here for the jerry-rigged adventures. If you want to stare down Terwilliger like it's Mount Doom, and stop at the halfway mark to eat homemade bread on the grass, this is totally your ride.

(So far, I don't ride back, but eventually I'll be coming back at about 7 or 8.)

E-mail me at thegirlnextdork@gmail.com if you want to solidify plans (I take TriMet some days) or guide me through different routes. I would love that.

Thank you!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Site Admin

Default Alternative to B-H thru B-town

I used to ride from Beaverton, out Beaverton-Hillsdale, and up over Terwilliger to downtown and Waterfront Park (and back the same way) as one of my favorite recreational rides. It's actually a pretty nice route until you get west of Scholls Ferry...

Don't know whether your goal is to assert your presence on difficult roads or to find an "easier" route, but here is one alternative to riding Beaverton-Hillsdale along the most bike-unfriendly stretch:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1662794

The initial bit up Scholls Ferry is uphill, but not unmanageable if you can handle Terwilliger. When you get to Chestnut Pl., you have to watch for the path that heads into the little wooded area--it goes past an apartment complex and comes out on 5th at Western. 5th street has a bike lane, and after it turns into 6th street, it is a pretty quiet neighborhood street with some "calming humps" that keep traffic slow. I believe there is a signal at 149th and Farmington that will facilitate the left turn onto Farmington. Try it if you feel like exploring.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Default Whew.

Thanks a lot! I knew 5th had a bike lane in front of the library, but I've never been on that stretch past Watson. Will have to give that one a try!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Site Admin

heading west on 5th is pretty quiet, the times I've done it. Even when the bike lane goes away. Eventually, it really isn't needed.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Site Admin

Default A safer route

Gosh, I drive the Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy frequently and think it makes a most unpleasant bike route: swift, heavy traffic, distracted drivers, and off-and-on bike lanes where I think the only safe path is the sidewalk.
Here is how I bike to Beaverton from my home in Hillsdale, with an extension onto Farmington for you. There are no climbs, and you avoid the busiest of roads. Please do be careful at Farmington and Murray!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1663587

Please note these transitions:
1. Instead of continuing thru Hillsdale onto the BHH, become a pedestrian (if the traffic is heavy) at Capitol and Sunset, crossing Capitol Hwy in front of the dance studio, southward (left turn) on what would be the Sunset extension toward the Wilson High Schl. parking lot. Jog right behind the dance studio then left onto a parking lot between the Wilson grandstands and Rieke School to SW Vermont. (On some Sundays this is the site of the Hillsdale Farmers Market. On those Sundays, go left in front of the grandstand, thru the Wilson parking lot to Vermont). At the bottom of the Vermont hill, jog left on Bertha and right on Capitol Hill Road.
2. Past mile 1, approaching Multnomah Blvd from Capitol Hill Rd, jog right after the Christian School, thru the phone company parking lot, down to Multnomah Blvd.
3. My drawn path between miles 4 and 5.5 is approximate, indicating a bike/ped path which begins behind the Garden Home Rec Center. An alternate would be Garden Home Rd to Allen.

There are variations to this. Feel free to ask.

wrinkles