Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Site Admin

Default New Bike Options

In the near/not so near future, I may have to go down to one bike. Right now I have three; An older roadie (steel lug) as my daily, go to commuter, a newer (steel TIG) road bike that sits, and my old mxb (alum) whose new life is strictly cargo. The mxb is far from pristine and would take a bit of coin to be an only bike and would never really be happy as a multi use bike. After all, it was built for trails. My older, daily commuter was a salvaged 10 speed and doesn't have the gearing for loads and hills. Again, compromising always leaves something to be desired.

So, that's what I have. This is my wish list...

I'd like a steel frame, rigid fork, disc brakes, 26" wheels, gobs of braze ons for racks/fenders, etc, and a longer wheelbase is preferable to a shorter one. Budget, $500 or so, but if push come to shove, I might be able to raise the ceiling to $1000. These parameters I realize are rather restricting, but also not absolute. One option would be to buy a frame set and build up, but that alone would take up about $500 which would mean building as I go. It would also be difficult to stay on the upper end of budget.

Another option is to buy a complete bike based on framset, knowing I can upgrade over time. Would cost more in the long run, but I'd be riding from day one. So this is the one I'm leaning towards.

One bike I'm interested in is a Marin Muirwoods 29er. Not real crazy about the big wheels. Brakes and other components are easy upgrades, but wheels are a pretty tall order. Another one is a Novara Safari. It's almost ideal, except for the big one, the aluminum frame. I've thought of the Novara Randonee, but no disc. Still an option, but...Kona's Ute also looks interesting, I'll also be checking it out come Spring. There are a few steel mountain bikes with suspension forks (that's fine), but they are meant for trails once again. There are some others, but nothing that has stood out.

I'd like to get some thoughts from others about bikes I've missed or if you have first hand experience with the Muirwoods or Safari. All of this may be moot as I might not end up getting anything, or buy a used something or other, but I've been wanting to ask for a while, so here it is

Thanks

Toby

Last edited by bonny790; 02-22-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Content
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Site Admin

I would say that the Jamis Aurora I saw at citi bikes fits most of your needs, although it is close to 1000$. My Jamis is a truck- I have loaded it down with a weeks groceries (wine OJ and all) and it never even wimpers.

The Coda (my bike) is the lower priced version, but if I were to do it again I would go with the Aurora- drop bars are so much more comfortable.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

Default try a surly

steel, gnot right spacing, and braze ons galore. the spacing accepts road or mountain hubs.
i believe the long haul trucker would be ideal, or the cross check.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Site Admin

Default Lht

I second the Long Haul Trucker. It's got a bunch of braze-ons. My gf has ridden it with huge off-road tires, so it's got clearance and versatility. I'm kind of jealous of it, actually.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the Jamis tip. I had seen it a while back but forgot about it.

LHT, I've been looking at it casually for a year or so never really considering it as a real option. However, it's the bike I keep going back to, again and again. I think I've never really taken Surly's seriously as an option because I've always thought of them as frame set build ups, forgetting that you can get complete bikes. If I can nail the funds, I think I'll do it.

Thanks

Toby
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Site Admin

I have a Jamis Aurora and LOVE it...

Another bike you might want to consider, esp if you want a long wheel base, is the Trek 520, Trek's steel touring bike. I've seen the '07 at Bike Gallery for under 1000.00. Have never heard a bad word about that bike...but then I could same the same for the Jamis and the Surlys.

good luck!

ps citibike has the surly and the jamis... I powerfully suggest trying them ALL out. I looked at all 3...but when I got on the Jamis, I just floated...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 AM
Site Admin

I think thats the key: ride the bikes that fit your need... one will stand out.

When I bought my road bike, I tried a bunch and one was just the one I had to have. Thankfully it wasnt the most expensive.