Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Fender recommendations?

I'm looking to add fenders to my road bike but have no idea which ones work the best. My frame doesn't have any braze-ons and I was hoping for low-profile design. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Site Admin

Default get these

SKS 35mm bolt ons ( i know you dont have braze ons) get the C clamps, line the inside with spent tube to keep them from slipping and gouging the frame. they also allow you to attach the fenders with a solid feel, and they wont slip down the road.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Site Admin

You'll soon find that fenders only go so far - you'll still get the "buckets of water thrown over your feet" feeling.

Look for a fender with decent mudflaps, like Planet Bike Cascadia. You'll still have to use c-clamps,

Or make a mudflap from a milk jug or water bottle.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Site Admin

Default i forgot those tidbits, thanks lynnf

the front add on is mandatory to keep you feet dry, the back is for the wheelsuckers behind you. ( if you dont ride in groups its still polite to have one when someone does get stuck behind you in the rain

i use a kitchen knife to poke two small holes in the fender, and then two holes in the cut up water bottle. then use a zip tie to affix it. zip ties work well in the same manner to hook the fender to your seat stays without rattling.
plus, the zip ties look PRO
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

Default yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
the front add on is mandatory to keep you feet dry, the back is for the wheelsuckers behind you. ( if you dont ride in groups its still polite to have one when someone does get stuck behind you in the rain

i use a kitchen knife to poke two small holes in the fender, and then two holes in the cut up water bottle. then use a zip tie to affix it. zip ties work well in the same manner to hook the fender to your seat stays without rattling.
plus, the zip ties look PRO
yeah, if you don't have a rear mud flap you probably shouldn't draft in the rain because you can't return the favor. well, you could but it would suck for the drafter. that actually happened a month or so ago when someone was on my tail for quite some time. when they finally passed me i couldn't draft behind them without getting filthy water sprayed in my eyes.

Last edited by mizake; 02-22-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: i just had too many commas
Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Site Admin

Default Wood Fenders

I rode past a young lady last night who had wooden fenders! OK maybe we aren't saving a tree - unless it's reused wood, but that was a rather novel and cool idea.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Site Admin

Default Most Likely

Full Woods

A locally designed product. Do the google. They are beautiful and I have severe consumer cramps that I can't afford a set.

But all this talk of politeness and fenders.

I've been riding fenderless in this town for 20 years. Tried some fenders this year on my old english fast-touring bike, but the tight angles made for a poor application in my case.

Now I come to see on a couple of these threads that fenders are considered de rigeur and you might be cad if...

Seriously, is this some new cycling rule I've missed. I mean, if a guy is shooting a rooster tail, you either pass or drop back. Why is the onus on the lead rider? I mean, fittest first, right? It's a physical activity. I suggest that if you're getting sprayed and you just can't handle it, get on the bus for a few months out of the year. (eesh, I'm too punchy to be posting, but there you go.)

My right wing cager friends (and we all have them) like to say cyclists are victims of their own entitlement issues. Tough to argue with them when I read these posts from indignant wet faced winter riders out to chastize their two-wheeled buddies just because they're getting wet (in the rain of all places).

Looking at the (imho) insane helmet laws being proposed northbound, how long before we see citizen movements calling for mandatory fenders? Because if comes down to sliding that slippery slope, I'm buying a used hummer. OK, I won't do that. Promise. (fingers crossed)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

Default fenders have their place

i can draw some conclusions from your post.

1 if you've been riding fenderless for 20 years in portland i seriously doubt that you've spent a large amount of time getting your feet thoroughly soaked with water coming off the road. booties and the gortex only go so far as to keep you warm (see i said warm and not dry). everyone gets wet, hypothermia can be avoided with the right mix of fenders and clothing.

2. the roads are often wet when the sky is dry, which make fenders ideal when you're riding w/out rain gear on. this makes sense if you dont want to stew in a sweaty sauna of rainjacket.

3. perhaps you ride so slow as to not create roostertails. thats possible under 5mph. my friend used to do that when it rained.

4. i suppose politeness was never a virtue your parents taught you. spraying water, road grime, and gravel all over the people stuck behind you is a little rude. i dont care about you spraying road grime on yourself.

no, you're not required to use fenders, but its a win win for everyone when you do. you stay drier, so do the people who are unfortunate enough to be stuck behind you.

besides, the fenders block the road grime from hitting your bike, thereby reducing maintenance on your frame and drivetrain. i used to ride mt bikes a lot in Ashland. the granicular soil sprayed little bits of the rocky dust all over my bike, this dust pulverized my drivetrain and i was forced to replace derailleurs, cassettes and chains far more often than i should have. not using fenders will do the same to your bike.

i believe lynn and i were referring to group riding, and extended periods in the rain. fenders are a must and one must sit in the back of the group untill they have them.

good riding. i'll be out today without fenders cause it sunny and dry.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Site Admin

Default I told you I was punchy

I'd caution about trying to come up with too many conclusions from my 3am posts.

I think I spelled out my issue with fenders a little more cogently in the commute thread. Really, the fact that this was some sort of bike-to-bike consideration issue was not on my radar before midnight last night.

As for your doubts about my riding experiences, well those are yours to own. I've never found the need for more than wool socks and perhaps a pair of sandwich baggies.

Group riding? Eeeesh. Hell on wheels. I've never understood the draw. But I see your point, I guess.

As for needing to be polite for the morning bridge crush? I stand by my sentiment: Lead me or drop off me, but don't expect me to equip my ride to satisfy your needs.

So yes, good riding.

(And what do my parents have to do with any of this?)

Last edited by Donald; 03-08-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Site Admin

I have to say that my expierence on my bike has been that I can bike any distance in any weather and the spary from my front wheel wont get my feet wet (if it is pouring rain then the rain will wet my feet...)

I generaly ride alone, and I dont draft often... so I dont know what to say about that.)

But like the other poster I never even heard of this for years...

I do have fenders on my grocery bike and mtn bike... but the road bike has no attachment points.