Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

Default Whiskey Yango Foxtrot at Franklin HS

This hasn't been my week... or two weeks really- note the fact that this is my second post here in a week (and my car is in the shop after being hit by an uninsured tweeker in Madras while I was helping someone out of a ditch in the snow.) Maybe last night I over reacted...

Woodard where it runs behind Franklin is always dicey during school days/events. A number of new drivers eager to show off their prowess, over stimulated soccer mom's people stopping in the middle of the street to let their kids out/wait for their kids. Last night at 5ish I was biking their and there was something going on and the gray VW golf in front of me stopped in the middle of the street. Looking into the car I saw the driver was alone and figured they were waiting for someone coming out. So my choices were- 1) stand there in the pouring rain for them 2) pass on the left and risk them surging forward and to the left, running me into traffic or 3) pass on the right which seems to be what motorists expect? so I go for option #3, and no sooner then I get parrellell to her then she decides to pull into the school driveway (sans blinkers), I wasn't going very fast, so with some hard braking I manage to body check her car at 2 or 3 MPH. The thing was she was still turning and I was kind of pinned between my bike and her car-

I kinda lost my cool. I started pounding on the window and yelling. She stopped and rolled down her window and I was like "what the hell lady?" She was still on a cell phone, music blaring, looked to be 17...

So I feel bad I bitched out a girl young enough to be my kid, but shit thats the second near miss in a week...

Anyon else have issues there?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Site Admin

Default Woodward is a problem when school's in

I ride this location every day, and my way of avoiding the worst of the traffic (and bad drivers) is to make sure I'm not riding through around 8:00 AM or later. The morning drop-off traffic of parents who are probably already late for work has presented me with the most near-misses. Nights when there's a large sporting event are also problematic, but not unbearable.

I haven't found a good alternative to Woodward -- SE Powell is a nightmare, and going all the way to Division is unnecessary. Anyone found a good way around this mess?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

I have no issues. But I always pass cars stopped like that on the left. And I make sure I've swung out as wide as possible so they've got a better chance of seeing me, on the off chance that they've looked in their mirror.

Plus I'm right by the driver, so they can hear me better when I yell.

Last edited by lynnef; 02-13-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Site Admin

I called the school and they promised to "get the word out" they also said if anyone drives erraticly to get their lisc plate # and the school would "talk to the individual".

I also called traffic control and the said they will step up in enforcement. They are aware of the issue, and said that when they get complaints they step up enforcement (so no rolling that stop sign on 58th for awhile).

Lynne- I have done the left thing, but I have also seen people surge forward and to the left as i am passing, or stop and get out of their car (in the middle of the street). Its a crapshoot either way, but I figured as their was no passenger I was at least unlikely to get doored on that side.

There is no alternative other than 58th to Division to Lincoln... most of the sidestreets between woodard and Powell are intermittent and poorly paved... Really the answer is that people need to not treat Woodard as their personal parking lot. Had the woman who hit me used her turn signal I would have known what she was intending to do.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Site Admin

Duncan, one thing that's easy & worth a try, if you want to go the enforcement route: call 823-SAFE & let them know of the problem, and that some traffic cop attention would be appreciated.

Just make sure they don't nab you rolling thru a stop...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Site Admin

thats the traffic enforcement i contacted. They called me back and said that they would be stepping up enforcement.