Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Site Admin

Default Old rain bike build - - fixed gear question

Built a rain bike and went fixed gear. Going as cheap as possible always leads to problems. The front and rear wheel set I got set me back $120 shipped. It is a ss and fixed flip/flop with tubes and tires. What I found when I got them is that they are regular screw-on on both sides in the back. Now I have read this is referred to as suicide style. That is not what I want out of my morning commute. Anyone have problems with these type wheels? Tight as hell, plus two and a half turns is how I am rolling now. Are there any swap-outs available for the axle?
Also, I am having trouble getting the sprocket to line up so the chain is quiet. I measured the chain and it is not stretched. Ideas?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_pdx View Post
Built a rain bike and went fixed gear. Going as cheap as possible always leads to problems. The front and rear wheel set I got set me back $120 shipped. It is a ss and fixed flip/flop with tubes and tires. What I found when I got them is that they are regular screw-on on both sides in the back. Now I have read this is referred to as suicide style. That is not what I want out of my morning commute. Anyone have problems with these type wheels? Tight as hell, plus two and a half turns is how I am rolling now. Are there any swap-outs available for the axle?
Also, I am having trouble getting the sprocket to line up so the chain is quiet. I measured the chain and it is not stretched. Ideas?
When you say "regular screw-on", what are you refering to? The sprocket? The axle? Do you want to coast? Do you want a quick-release wheel?

If the chain is "tight as hell" then it's too tight. It'll be noisy. You need to check to see if the chainring is concentric, then adjust the chain tension to have a little play. Better yet, consult the guru:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-co...n.html#tension

Check the chainline, too:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-co...html#chainline

Jeff
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Site Admin

I meant the axle. Thanks for the resources. Heading out to the garage.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_pdx View Post
I meant the axle. Thanks for the resources. Heading out to the garage.
OK- converting a bolt-on axle to quick-release is relatively easy. The tricky part is getting the right thread axle. Since it's a brand-new hub, I'll assume it's standard 10 x 1mm thread. All you need is a 10 x 1mm hollow axle, which is Shimano standard. (Quick-release axles that are not 10 x 1mm can be found, though.)

Chances are the axle will be too long- it'll stick out too far for the QR to grab the dropouts. I would mock up the axle in the existing hub (cones, bearings, washers, locknuts), measure how much you need to cut off (remember to leave 3 or 4 mm to hang in the dropout), then take it all apart and chop off the axle held in a vise. File off any burrs in the threads, clean, reassemble the hub and violá! Quick-release fixie hub.

A note: try to find an all-steel QR skewer. You'll be using it a bunch if you're flip-flopping the wheel, and backpressure braking can cause the wheel to shift if the skewer isn't tight. A wheel that moves around can crawl right out of the dropout- embarrassing at very least.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Site Admin

Another option to consider is a set of wingnuts. You can keep your threaded axle but not have to carry a wrench if you have a flat to change on the road.

http://thebikestand.com/P2280021.jpg