Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Site Admin

Default Graffiti on traffic signs on bike routes

It is all about the money! I have noticed a huge increase in graffiti vandalism on traffic signs on the bike routes. The city is required to replace traffic signs that have been tagged with graffiti because of liability issues. Yes, it takes them a while, but eventually they have to shell out upwards of $300 a sign. That $300 per sign comes out of the city's maintenance budget, the same budget that is responsible for ammenities on bike routes. Traditionally, when the city is short on money, they short pedestrian and bike funding. Recently, a crew was out changing signs and I asked them how taggers get their tags so high up on the signs. I was shocked when they told me that they have seen many of the taggers using bicycles to do their vandalism, which is a felony by the way. If you are a cyclist and you are doing this, you are cutting into the money that could be used for better bikeways. I am asking you to stop tagging the traffic signs so that $300 times thousands of signs can be put to better use.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Site Admin

You're attempting to appeal to reason and intelligence you imagine taggers to posses? Good luck. Taggers seem to represent that percentage of the human race that have willfully disowned any shred of intelligence that could bring them to do something that could help people where they need it. There's lots of things that actually need paint, like rusty sheds, garden tools, boat trailers, fire escapes.

Well, that's not a very good list, but there must be something these people can do that wouldn't hurt others so much. It's as though there's an element of humanity, of which taggers represent in part, that craves bringing all of humanity down to a squalid level. The fences on overpasses are one example. Waist level highway overpasses used to be all that was needed for safety and beauty. For many years, such overpasses were enjoyed by everyone. Then one day, some idiot decides to lean over the side of the overpass and drop rocks onto cars. One hits and crushes a teenage girls face, deforming her for life. Since that day, all overpasses have tall wire fences on the overpass sides for that lovely prison experience.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Site Admin

Default They want to hurt people?

I think it's more like poverty and hopelessness rather than a desire to hurt anyone. Just a thought but people who want to hurt people do so. Those who tag property are more likely trying to tell an uncaring, compassionless world that they exist.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Site Admin

The taggers I know in Portland come from privileged backgrounds. One is a Parsons grad, another goes to PNCA. A third sells crafts on Alberta Street on Last Thursdays.

I don't understand why they do what they do, despite my attempts. They're certainly not ill or downtrodden, nor do they come off as bad people.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Site Admin

Default yeah

there are many varieties of tagger, and they all read this blog.

NOT!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Site Admin

Default I am glad someone

responded to the previous post. Call me old fashioned, but I liken
tagging in the same category as someone who bashes mail boxes
from cars with bats, doing burnouts in front lawns, and worst of all..
letting their dog crap in someones yard and not picking it up.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Site Admin

"The taggers I know in Portland come from privileged backgrounds. One is a Parsons grad, another goes to PNCA. A third sells crafts on Alberta Street on Last Thursdays." tvhwy

"...priveleged..." stands out. Doesn't that just figure? What, are they sick to death of their stale, privileged background and feel this entitles them mess up whatever they feel like messing up that's in the public view? And then when they're sick of looking at it themselves, they can run on back to their privileged neighborhoods. Tagging is amazingly selfish. Tyrannical also.

I can extend some consideration and admiration to the work of graf artists. Common tags, the equivalent of dogs pissing on trees is the thing that's really wearying. This and related destruction that really amounts to massive waste; scratched and acid stained windows and mirrors...stone and finish concrete of beautiful architecture used as grind rails for skateboard use.

But those examples are related to areas not directly affecting cyclists.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Site Admin

If any of you know people who do graffiti on traffic signs and on bike routes, there are several reasons to let them know that it is way beyond uncool. First, the cost is more than the $300 a sign. Wages, benefits, etc for the city folks assigned is more than $250,000 a year. So add that to the possible hundreds of signs in a year that they have to replace. That is a lot of money we could have for services such as open restrooms, bikeways, bike lanes, pedestrian treatments. We could get the Sulivan's Gulch bikeway financed just by these guys stopping! It raises our property taxes while decreasing the value of property which translates to higher rents. The trickle down damage hurts each and every cyclist in some way.

The second reason is if people believe that cyclists are doing it they will be less likely to back bicycle related projects in their neighborhoods because the neighbors will fear that bike routes will bring with them graffiti. It will become harder to get any funding because we will all be grouped together with the graffiti vandals. We have to make it our duty to stop the madness. If you know someone or see someone doing graffiti it is your obligation as a cyclist to report them or ask them to stop. If we let it continue then we may as well be a bunch of apathetic couch potatoes instead of the movers and shakers we like to think ourselves.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Graffiti

I see graffiti everywhere. Tags, whatever. I wouldnt try to link it to bikers if I was you. This is the stuff taggers like, people talking about them. They are looking for attention. Like Pagani was saying, They want people to know they exist "Those who tag property are more likely trying to tell an uncaring, compassionless world that they exist."

when I was younger I did what I wanted, no question. I didn't tag, but I had no use for rules, laws etc. I'm older now almost 40, have kids. Live a much mellower life but still have fun.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky111248 View Post

The second reason is if people believe that cyclists are doing it they will be less likely to back bicycle related projects in their neighborhoods because the neighbors will fear that bike routes will bring with them graffiti. It will become harder to get any funding because we will all be grouped together with the graffiti vandals. We have to make it our duty to stop the madness. If you know someone or see someone doing graffiti it is your obligation as a cyclist to report them or ask them to stop.

i fail to see the connection between tagging and bikers, bikes, bike infrastructure, etc.

there was a tag on the braille instructions at the ATM i used today, but i didn't assume it was a blind dude who did that.