Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Site Admin

Default biking, camping, and hiking near Three Lynx or Timothy Lake?

I'm planning a short bike tour in the spring along 224 and I hope to find a place to camp somewhere between Three Lynx and Timothy Lake. The plan is that my girlfriend will drive out there and meet me with our dog and we can camp overnight and go for a hike.

What trails are in that area that would be good for a novice hiker? I'm slowly getting her interested in hiking so we'll probably do 5 miles or less.

Where is a good place to camp along there? Neither of us have been to the area and the tricky part is that I need to find it on bike while she needs driving directions.

Eventually I hope to ride to Hood River and back but this trip will be part of my getting in shape for that. Here's the goal route: http://tinyurl.com/2mvzzo
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up where to camp?

Cap'n, there's lots of campgrounds along the Clackamas River - here's the USFS listing, unfortunately no map - look at the Clackamas Ranger district section:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood/recre...ds/index.shtml

The Alder Flat, Rainbow, & Ripplebrook campgrounds are all clustered around the junction of hwy 224 / FS 57 (which goes up to Timothy Lake). Lake Harriet is 6 miles up FS 57, and Shellrock Creek is another 3 miles or so further.

btw, the road up to Timothy Lake had several motor vehicle detours due to partial washouts when i last rode it 2 years ago -- the great news for bicyclists is you can ride (almost) the entire way on pavement, with virtually no traffic, all the way up to Timothy Lake - a bike path in the woods. You do have to do a few short portages, and the road is is not much maintained.

The route's easy to see on the Mt. Hood Nat. Forest map - a good investment for $6 or so.

Also, in case you don't know about it: don't miss riding along the Faraday Dam on the old highway just out of Estacada - a much more pleasant ride than staying on 224, very quiet - some of it's closed to motor vehicles.

enjoy!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Site Admin

Great info, thanks much!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Site Admin

I looked up the location of Faraday Dam. By "old highway just out of estacada" do you mean Faraday Rd? My route will take me along it from Estacada until it intersects with 224 and turns into SE Michaels Rd.

I've been searching and searching for more detailed maps of this area. How can I get a better idea of the roads along here before I actually ride them? I've used google maps & google earth but don't see much. I've looked for information on Bikely but most routes don't have much information.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Site Admin

Yep, that's it. It's easy to follow, but a little tricky finding the access points on either end.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Site Admin

<If memory serves...>

Heading out of Estacada, you turn right into the PGE <whatever> facility, and go to the very end of the parking lot - and there is the road!

Heading back toward Estacada, you pass Promontory Park, turn the corner, and start heading up the hill. It is the first left turn you can make.