Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Site Admin

Question Trailer Width

I'm building a trailer (or two) and was wondering if I could get some overall widths of your trailers.

I borrowed a two seater kids trailer a ways back and wrote down the measurements of it, but lost track of the paper. My main concern is going too wide to where it would be too combersome to manouver. It's just kind of hard to get a visual with the peices layed out on the ground. It's looking like 35" overall should work nicely. That gives about 22" of cargo width (using two rear wheels), or about 25" cargo width (using two front wheels).

Thank ya much!

Toby
Old 01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny790 View Post
I borrowed a two seater kids trailer a ways back and wrote down the measurements of it, but lost track of the paper. My main concern is going too wide to where it would be too combersome to manouver. It's just kind of hard to get a visual with the peices layed out on the ground. It's looking like 35" overall should work nicely. That gives about 22" of cargo width (using two rear wheels), or about 25" cargo width (using two front wheels).
My Burley kid trailer is a shade under 32" wide, and sometimes it feels like it's a little too wide. Sometimes I wish I'd bought the solo, since I only have one kid, but I have plenty of room for groceries. Especially if I bungee the kid on top of the trailer.

(Ok, kidding about that last part.)
Old 01-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Site Admin

Thanks. That's about what I remembered. I have materials (including wheels) for two trailers right now, one big and one small.

Thanks

Toby
Old 01-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Site Admin

I've found some great stock to manufacture a trailer from. The trailer I envision will be a two wheeled, light to mid-range freight hauler, up to 100 lbs (from groceries to potting soil to the occasional bookcase).

Unfortunately it seems the best way to use the material would be to make a long, skinny trailer.

The question then is: can anyone recommend a minimum width for the trailer?

Without fabricating some sort of outrigger set-up the 'natural' width of the trailer bed would be about 14-16 inches between the wheels, maximally 3 1/2 to 4 feet in length.

My gut reaction is that this is rather skinny and would have stability problems under load. If it matters, the wheels will be recycled 20 inch BMX wheels.

Thanks and any other thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by edki; 01-20-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarity