Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Ride/Event Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Tigard's 5th Tuesday City Council Meeting...

City Recorder
503-639-4171 x2410
cathy@tigard-or.gov

Members of the Tigard City Council will be available on the 5th Tuesday of March, March 31, 2008, at the Tigard Water Building Auditorium located at 8777 SW Burnham Street to hear and discuss citizen concerns, issues, or input on City-related matters. Proposed discussion topics will be limited to City of Tigard issues.

A trained facilitator will be present to encourage open dialogue and equal participation. Those citizens who attend will be asked to sign in. The Council might set time limits for suggested topics based on the number of topics introduced and the number of citizens who attend. Council may determine that discussion of a topic requires additional resources such as staff support, documents, or other materials to help respond to an inquiry. In such a case, Council might decide to accept the issue for further discussion or correspondence at a later time.

The meeting is a public meeting and topical minutes will be kept. A quorum of Council will not be needed to conduct the meeting; in fact, lack of a quorum is likely.

Fifth Tuesday meetings will begin at 7 p.m. and conclude promptly at 9 p.m. or earlier if the discussions are concluded before 9 p.m. Council encourages citizens to attend the Fifth Tuesday Meeting to take advantage of the opportunity to meet the Council members and interact in relaxed setting. For further information, please contact City Recorder Cathy Wheatley by calling 503-639-4171, Ext 2410.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-28-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb What to expect...

Someone sent me the following message...

Quote:
Are you ready for tomorrow night's meeting in Tigard? I do still plan to go, but I've never been and would like to share something, but I don't know they do it there. What kind of format is it and do you have any tips on what they like there? Maybe I'll just listen depending on how things go, but if you can give me some tips since you've been there before.
Yes, I'm going.

The format is simple, you show up, you sign up, they call your name, you speak about what's on your mind... you discuss the subject, the comments are recorded (by the city's recorder). And hopefully things get resolved.

What's on My Mind?

Sam's still being a shit... (Tigard Auto Center)... today, he tried to BITE me...
What was Tigard doing when TriMet was working on the plans for the SW Hall and WES rail crossing?
What can be done about the conditions of SW Hall and it's bikelanes... Traffic driving on the bikelanes?
Storm Drains... (ie in the McDonalds parking lot/driveway)
TBPAC (Tigard Bike/Ped Advisory Committee.

We STILL need Tigard citizens to attend, remember, I might be getting things done, but w/o being a Tigard voter, I'm afraid my voice is somewhat discounted.

See You There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-29-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Why do I even bother?

Well, I went, and among the cycling community we were represented by...

Myself... Alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
What's on My Mind?

Sam's still being a shit... (Tigard Auto Center)... today, he tried to BITE me...

Go and file a report with the police. Also ODOT and Washington county are going to acquire the property and demolish it to create a new turnlane... date still unannounced.

Quote:
What was Tigard doing when TriMet was working on the plans for the SW Hall and WES rail crossing?
That's ODOT, No it's TriMet, No it's ODOT... I get the feeling that Tigard was sitting on its hands when this was being developed... but we don't have the funds... (I was even asked something like "Why do you care? You don't even live in tigard...")

Quote:
"That's ODOT, We don't have the funds... Oh, and we've been having cyclists complain about the bikelanes on 99W... were looking into removing them, and placing them off the main street."

One of the council members seemed very negative towards cyclists needs, and when advised of the 1971 law that requires bike/ped facilities suggested that they were looking into a variance to get away from building those very expensive bike lanes.

Quote:
Storm Drains... (ie in the McDonalds parking lot/driveway)
Private property, can't do nothing until the owners replace them, then they should be of the bike friendly design. I got very little from them when I asked about ADA needs.

Quote:
We don't have the funds... we don't have the funds... everything I asked for was stonewalled with the claim that we don't have the funds. Seems that they are not getting as much money from that Tigard gas tax that is in effect there as they were expecting... people are buying less gas (at least that was good news). Seems that Beaverton has twice the tax base as Tigard.

Quote:
We STILL need Tigard citizens to attend, remember, I might be getting things done, but w/o being a Tigard voter, I'm afraid my voice is somewhat discounted.
None attended, I feel that I wasted two hours of my free time today...

Every cyclist I talk to in Tigard hates the conditions, the glass, gravel the crappy bike lanes, the lack of bike lanes... You live in Tigard? You want better bike/ped facilities? Where the HELL were you???

The only way Tigard City Council is going to change is if people get out there and participate, and vote in progressive, bike minded people. I have an idea... In a new thread...

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Site Admin

Would you get any more traction if you sic'ced BTA on them rather than trying to work at it from the "by myself and yeah, I'm not a Tigard voter" angle? At the very least, they may be able to rustle up some Tigard residents which will at least get their attention.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Excellent Idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeast View Post
Would you get any more traction if you sic'ced BTA on them rather than trying to work at it from the "by myself and yeah, I'm not a Tigard voter" angle? At the very least, they may be able to rustle up some Tigard residents which will at least get their attention.
I was trying to Sic the forums on them... but this is an Excellent idea...

Getting a variance to not have to build bikelanes in a city with 50K people... I couldn't believe my ears. The law has been appealed and upheld. Variances are for places such as Union Creek, or Lincoln (no, not Lincoln City, it's between Ashland and Keno), Oregon with populations that measure in the tens of people, not tens of thousands... In their defense, I'm sure that the Tigard City Council, being made up of volunteers, is not made up of people who would even pretend to know all the laws that concern governing a city in Oregon, USA.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Site Admin

I would offer to come out there, but then again, I don't cycle out there all that often as I live in Vancouver, but I would lend my perspectives on cycling issues in Tigard.

And as for the bike lanes, other than the fact that it's not going to happen, where would such lanes go? Isn't one of the ideas of suburban roads that there aren't parallel routes close to the main arterial roads? If anything, they need to be closing the gaps in bike lane connectivity on 99W.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Well, it'll be March till the next one...

I wonder, will the gravel will be swept up by then?

March 31st @ 7pm
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Save the Date! 3/31/9 7pm.

Quote:
I wonder, will the gravel will be swept up by then?

March 31st @ 7pm
Well, a week and a day to go, and so far the answer is a resounding...

NO!

Joint Meeting Notice: Tigard City Council, Tualatin City Council and the Tigard–Tualatin School Board Tuesday, March 31 @ 6:30-8:30 p.m. School District Office (6960 SW Sandburg, Tigard)

K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-24-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Site Admin

I was out of town for this meeting-- any report?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down Tigard Oregon - No Place to Walk or Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
I was out of town for this meeting-- any report?
It wasn't a city council meeting like the 5th Tuesday meetings at all. It was a two city (Tualatin and Tigard) school district meeting. A lot of talk about funding schools. There was a LOT of discussion about the Safe Routes to School programs that have been put in place. Public input was not on the adjenda... But, you know me...

I addressed both community leaders as to the problems for bikes/peds/wheelchairs in the MONTHS following the December storm. As I don't ride in Tualatin often, I didn't have specifics for them, but Tigard did get a list of businesses that are failing to keep up their sidewalks. Such as....

Better Days Coffee and Hi Hat's sidewalks

At this time, a week later, I've seen ZERO improvements from that list.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 04-08-2009 at 05:57 AM.