Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Site Admin

Default School Bus

This morning I had a short school bus change lanes without signalling right into me. I swerved and hit the brakes, but it came close enough to a wreck that the car behind me honked as it was happening. I caught up to the bus at the light tapped on the window and asked him to pull over so we could discuss what had happened. He made a gesture and drove off. I stopped and noted the time location and number of the bus. Shortly afterward I called the Portland Public Schools and asked for the number for the bus safety. They have a very nice safety person named Sandy. I let Sandy know what had happened, she could tell from the number that the bus belongs to a contractor and told me that she would file a complaint with the contract company and call me back to let me know the result. I'm hoping to get the chance to speak directly to the driver's supervisor but I am not sure if that will happen or not.

The number for Sandy in case anyone has a similar incident is 503-916-6901. She seemed very nice and quite concerned about what happened.

Bjorn
Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Site Admin

Great work, Bjorn! Glad you're OK.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Site Admin

Default follow up

Someone who works for the bus company "First Student" was what I think he said the name was called and asked me about the incident yesterday. He listened while I retold him the story, asked a couple of questions and let me know that he would be talking to the driver about proper passing technique etc. I don't know if he will be calling me back to let me know the final resolution but it sounds like they will probably be educating the driver/maybe putting something in their personnel file...

Bjorn