Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Site Admin

Default January 5th, 6:50pm NE Broadway & 2nd - Did you see it?

I was hit (on a bright pink bike) by a large light colored extended cab pick up truck at 6:50pm on Saturday, January 5th. It happened in front of many cars and a few pedestrians. I didn't have the presence of mind to try and get information from the witnesses, my bike was run over and I was thrown off, no immediate injuries, but am now having some trouble. If you saw anything, please get in touch ASAP.

Thanks,

Renee
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about your crash! Hopefully you're feeling better now, and the driver is covering your expences.

I'm curious, did the truck even stop? Cops come?

God Bless!
K'Tesh
Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Site Admin

Default No such luck

Well, the driver stopped long enough to blame me and give me a fake name and address, I didn't have my wits about me to get any more information from him before he left because "he had to go meet some people". I went to see an ND yesterday and am being treated for free (back seizing up) because I was working with an incredible bunch of alternative healers.

Thanks for asking.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera View Post
Well, the driver stopped long enough to blame me and give me a fake name and address, I didn't have my wits about me to get any more information from him before he left because "he had to go meet some people". I went to see an ND yesterday and am being treated for free (back seizing up) because I was working with an incredible bunch of alternative healers.

Thanks for asking.
I think that providing fake information constitutes a hit-and-run. Might be worthwhile staking out that area and seeing if you see the truck/guy again and catching a license number.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

There's no question about it, you have a Hit-And-Run on your hands. Injury crashes require exchange of information. Call the cops if you haven't already. I second the staking out the location idea.

Don't forget to file your Crash report with the DMV ASAP!

Please keep us posted.

All the Best!
K'Tesh
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Site Admin

Default what to do if you are a witness

this has all come at a very unfortunate time since I am leaving Portland today for a week for a new job. I am feeling much much better, the injuries being minor, and while I don't want to be complacent about his behavior I'm going to be gone. I would like others to learn from this though, especially what to do if you are a witness.

Even if the person involved in the crash says they are fine and don't need help. STAY, they were just in a crash and don't know that they need help. They are not thinking clearly, help them get the info they need, license plate, etc. I know I was not in the right mind to do so.

I have filed my report to the DMV, and don't know what else I can do since I for my job I will be camping and hiking (wayyy out of phone range) for the next week. I'll check in with you all when I get back. Thanks for the concern.