Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Site Admin

Default Share your daily winter maintenance routines?

I just had my commuter overhauled and some nice upgrades done, so it feels a lot like a new bike to me. With these daily deluges, I'd like to know what people do when they get home from a soaking commute to prolong the life of their components.
Thanks, ahead of time, for sharing your expertise
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Site Admin

Default My 2 cents

I have one of those Park cyclone chain scrubber. I use it once a week with citris degreaser and then relube the chain. After last weeks deluge, I took today to disassemble my drive train, clean it, and reinstall it. I also sprayed the insite of the brake and derailler housings with some WD-40 and wiped off the crud off the cables.

Something I'm going to talk to the LBS about, while cleaning the drive train, I took the bottom bracket off and saw a bit of rusty water in the BB housing. I don't know where the water got in from or whether its normal. I wiped up the water and greased the threads and reinstalled the BB.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Site Admin

I don't do much until something is making noise or broken and I know it needs to be addressed. I used to do more, but things seem to need replacement at about the same rate whether I am obsessive with maintainence or not. Well, maybe that is not true, but it sure seems like it. I guess my ongoing maintenance is more to keep everything running smooth as opposed to prolonging life of compenents.

All I do is wipe and relube the chain every five commutes with prolink gold chain lube, and wipe the crud off the bike (especially the rims) every couple commutes. Very occassionally I lube other areas - often only when they stick or squeak. For comparison my commute is 30 miles RT.

Everything else is an actual repair or replacement.

Last edited by Schrauf; 01-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Simple Green

About once a week, usually Friday night, I spray the bike all over with Simple Green then take a brush and quickly run it over the entire bike paying special attention the rims, the area behind the bottom bracket and around the brakes (cantilever) then I hose it off. I never let the Simple Green sit for more than about 3 minutes as I have read of it weakening chains (after soaking them in it for long periods of time, like 2 weeks). Then I bring it in the basement and lube the chain. I ride a single speed commuter so there is no derailleur but if there was one I would also lube that.
For reference my commute is 31 miles rt.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Site Admin

Default Cleaning

I always try to hose-off the rims and (cantilever) brakes after every wet ride while still wet, whether rain or just wet roads. Scrubbing with a brush even better. Your dirty brake pads can wear out the side walls of your rims. I've been through a couple sets of wheels because the braking surfaces become dished. Worn side walls cause rim failure.

Lube the chain 1-2 times per week depending on how heavy the rain was. If no rain, then just once per week may be adequate. The more often you lube and wipe the chain the better. Remove the chain and thoroughly clean it at least every 2 weeks if you ride daily. Install a Sram Power Link to facilitate easy removal. They come with Sram chains, and they'll fit Shimano chains, too. Buy them separately at your local bike shop. Replace your chain at least twice per year, especially if you ride in the rain often. Buy a ParkTool chain checker and keep track of the length of your chain. It will get longer with wear, and eventually will wear your cogs if not replaced. Badly worn cogs will not work with a new chain; will cause slippage.

Its good to lube your rear deraillure cable at the rear cable housing. This can get gunked up from rain riding. Simply shift up a few clicks without pedaling and it will loosen the rear derailure cable, which will allow you to pull the cable housing loose and slide it back-and-forth on the cable. Apply some chain lube to the cable while sliding the housing back-and-forth. Replace all of your cables every year. Replace cable housings every couple of years. Sounds like a lot, but it will make a difference in performance.

Learn to do this stuff yourself and save a lot of time and money. Its not too difficult once you get the hang of it. Check local bike shops for repair clinics.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Site Admin

Default i rarely mess with the commuter

but i do lube the chain when i can hear through my ipod and heavy traffic.
i do degrease it with a rag, and wipe the cogs down and chainrings down before i reapply prolink gold chain lube.
the race bike gets all of my attention.
oh yeah, i also wipe the rims down as often as the chain gets lubed.

40 miles round trip 4 days a week, fixed or geared.

Last edited by fetishridr; 01-16-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: more info