Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Ride/Event Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Site Admin

Default BTA's New Year's Day Ride:

Not sure why I didn't see this here...
...or could have missed it, but here is a reminder:

BTA's New Years Day Ride 12:00-1:00 downtown PDX

http://pdxpipeline.wordpress.com/200...lls-resturant/

Thanks ETC for the heads up!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Site Admin

Default rad ride

the vcbc flag should be there flyinging high!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

I'll be there... again...

It'll be my third time, however, this time, I'll be coming in from Sherwood. So, if I'm late, please forgive me.

Cya out there!
K'Tesh
Old 01-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Well I did it! Kinda...

There were some problems with then new route. When we (my friend and I) stopped to help someone with a flat, we ended up mixed with Portland Velo, and on our way up to Mount Tabor... I wasn't able to keep up with them. My friend decided to keep on going, I turned back and headed straight for the ride's endpoint.

After some cider, and lots of snacks (Thanks to those who provided them!), I hooked up with Lets Bike, and other members of the Exchange riders... We tried Genies, then the Original Pancake house, and ended up at New Seasons out by Clinton and 21st (I was following and lost) for lunch.

Rode back to NW 25th and Lovejoy to Let's Bike's car, and got a lift home... I had fun, but the ride was a little dissappointing (since I was lost), the company was fun though, and I'm sure that next year I'll be in better shape.

Suggestion for next year...
Should the BTA and Portland Velo meet at the same spot next year have each ride start in opposite directions, so we don't risk confusion... I was not the only one who got lost, there was a group of 3 recumbent riders who were right there with me when I turned back to the waterfront.

Was there a link to a printable route map somewhere that I missed? That would have helped a lot.

Well, at the rate I'm going, I'll have over 11K miles by the end of 2008, barring injury/illness/death, but I think it'll be more like 5.2K (miles/number of days into current year*number of days in the year)(31.79/1*366).

Rubberside down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-01-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Happy New Year

I went for an early ride with ECT and joined up with the BTA ride at noon. Getting there was getting more iffy as the morning went on when I blew two belts on the van and had to strap the trike to the "little car". I'm really glad I made it; it was a great day for a ride!

The route was defintely a little confusing... and quite short. Mt Tabor? Didn't hear about that alternative. Good idea about posting the route.

Who stopped for stop signs?... I did and nearly got run over a few times

Happy New Year! ...and ride safe.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 01-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Site Admin

Those of us with ECT tried to ride in a group, but we got split up. Someone at the porta-johns at Salmon pointed for us to keep going down the Esplanade, and so we missed the turn at Salmon. After looking briefly at someone else's map (who was not in our group), we were going to head out Clay to 16th and then rejoin. At Ladd's, we ran into the Portland Velo group, and not knowing they weren't part of the BTA ride, we started following them up Harrison for a few blocks until it became obvious that they weren't part of the ride.

We ended up meeting K'Tesh, and a few other stragglers, and finding our own way back downtown to the finish. I got in a total of 19 miles for the day, most of which was before and after the BTA ride.

It was... an interesting day. I had a lot more fun socializing with people than actually riding.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Default Hectic route!

Yeah, I'm sorry the route was so crazy. It was so much simpler when the route was just a one-way up Ankeny to Laurelhurst.

Next year - more maps, and a bullhorn so people can hear it described at the beginning. And either an explicit warning about Portland Velo and Wheelmen taking off midway (don't follow them!) or maybe getting them to make that clear at the point where they split off.

But everyone was awful nice about it and seemed to have fun anyway!

Who's porta-potties were those? We (the BTA) didn't rent them. Hm.