Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Site Admin

Smile Daily Commute Thread

How about beginning a thread where people can post their daily (or occasional) commute highlights and lowlights? I will start...

I commute from central Vancouver, near the hospital at 87th and Mill Plain. I work at the Fox Tower at Broadway and Taylor. My goal is to ride vs. drive at least more than half of the time. I should do better than 50%, but sometimes work hours get long, especially during tax season.

My commute averages 15 miles. I take Interstate or Vancouver depending on my mood. Sometimes I mix it up even more on Mississippi, although the lateral jaunt slows me down. Coming in I average 55 minutes. Going home is slower, due to more uphill and more traffic lights. I am very lucky to break 60 minutes.

Today, I was on ice for about 75% of my ride in. Only one wheel slip - at that crosswalk along the I-5 bike path, next to the Safeway, where you make a wide U-turn. I was at a slow walking pace, but still slipped on the turn. Landed on my feet like a professional - until my foot slipped out from under me and I landed on my ass!

Then got a flat tire farther south along Vancouver Avenue. Rims at 30 degrees make for cold hands - burr. Between the two issues, my 55-minute commute took 86 minutes.

But still much better than driving! And the rare dry weather is beautiful.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-07-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up commute

se 66th and duke to International way in milwaukie to the warehouse of doom. six days a week all mornings. all weather.
I change it up all the time and see every neighborhood that is possible, I often go out of my way to just wee the sights, go through the corridor or just make an excuse to be on my bike longer.
5 miles approx each way, all one lonely gear.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Site Admin

Classic Portland commute today. Moderate steady rain, 37 and breezy. Big puddles/small lakes. Very smooth with no issues. 57 minutes.

Waste Management truck driver on Broadway yielded a right turn very nicely. Had to speed up because he stopped to wait while I was still 100 feet back.

People look at me like I am crazy wearing shorts in this weather. I think everyone else is overdressed. Although I am the one not fitting in, so I guess that makes ME weird...

Last edited by Schrauf; 01-02-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

Mt Tabor area to Clackamas Town Center every day. All weather / all days. I take 92nd to Fuller and then through Walmart to 82nd down to Sunnybrook. 82nd is suprisingly OK before 6:30 AM. The return home is trecherous, though, so I've found a short cut through the back alleys behind the big boxes to get me from Clackamas Town Center to Fuller and 92nd & home. Definately looking forward to the 205 path reopening in 2009.

Monday morning, New Years Eve, was sure interesting. Black ice the entire way up NE Davis, Burnside and 92nd. Unclipped around every curve. Got stuck @ light on Foster/92nd. From a stop my rear wheel just spun under me when I tried to get going. No traction with my foot to push to a start. The only witness was a Trimet bus who thought it was pretty hysterical
Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Site Admin

Default Heck of a Start to 2008

I pedal from Sunnyside Road Clackamas to Lloyd Center. At 5:45 this morning, on Bob Schumacker drive just north of Monterey, I got a flat. I changed the tube and left my old tube tied to a tree branch. Sort of a memorial. I called Clackamas road maintenance this morning.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Site Admin

You're still out there, Michael? Haven't seen you on the flip side recently.
How come you go all the way up Schumaker just to come down again? 82nd isn't that scarey in the morning. I guess I'm just lazy.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Site Admin

Default It all evens out

I don't mind climbing a hill as long as I get to coast/rest/recover on a downhill run. I took the days before Christmas and Christmas week off. Today was my first day back at work since December 19. I'll look for you today going home.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Site Admin

This cold,wet weather has brought back some knee tendonitis so my riding has been intermittant, too. I'll be back on the road tomorrow, too.
Be safe. Almost got taken out @ 92nd/Foster last week despite lights and extreme defense.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauf View Post
People look at me like I am crazy wearing shorts in this weather. I think everyone else is overdressed.
i wear shorts year round also. i hate pants.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Site Admin

Default Shorts and Tights

I wear cycling shorts and tights in the winter

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work