Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Site Admin

Default Black Ice this morning...

Watch yourself around corners and curves folks, i wasn't going too fast when i turned a corner down the street from my house in sellwood the corner of SE Harney and SE 9th... wheels went right out from underneath me.

Nothing too bad a a few scrapes on my on my rear skewer lever and my handle bar cap... and a nasty bruise on my leg.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

Default yah

my bike slid out from underneath me as i was turning onto the ped bridge after going up the ramp from the springwater, near the steel bridge. i could see that it was icy so i was ready to fall, and sustained no injuries.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

I almost fell this morning too.

I saw the ice at the last second and was able to make the corner with just a little slipping about.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Site Admin

oh its nice to know i wasnt the only one...

i took a nice fall this morning on killingsworth as I was crossing from 28th to 27th. nice pulled groin muscle and got a nice bruise and swelling on my hip.

walked it off then proceeded to ride from 27th and Alberta to 15th where I almost slipped again so I took the bus. It should be a good ride tonight however.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Site Admin

Definitely an interesting commute. I was on ice for about 75% of my commute to downtown this morning. Only one wheel slip - at that crosswalk along the I-5 bike path, next to the Safeway, where you make a wide U-turn. I was at a slow walking pace, but still slipped on the turn. Landed on my feet like a professional - until my foot then slipped out from under me!

Then got a flat tire farther south along Vancouver Ave. Rims are cold at 30 degrees - burr. Between the two issues, my 55-minute commute took 86 minutes.

But still much better than driving!

Last edited by Schrauf; 12-31-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up now i feel better

i ate it the second i pulled off of my gravel driveway in front of my house this morning...hard not to laugh even though my shoulder was a bit upset with me.
got back up and rode into the darkness to work...always the right choice!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Site Admin

i might need to swap out my 22mm tubular slicks for something a bit more "grippy"
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Site Admin

Smile Logie Trail/Skyline

My riding partner and I thought a final, end-of-the-year ride up Logie Trail from Helvetia would be a good idea. It was for most of the ride, but there was ice and snow for about a mile to Skyline. Once on Skyline, it was better, but it was pretty treacherous for awhile.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Site Admin

You people are crazy to bike when it's icy. I hope you don't slide under a car when you lose it on a corner.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Site Admin

It's all about speed control, buffers and vigilance. Is it still more dangerous than no ice? Of course. But not everyone has an option, if they need to get to work and don't have a car. In my case, I could drive, but was already out the door before I knew it was icy. And I am always up for new experiences, dangerous or not - within reason.