Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Getting a new bike, anyone own or ride a surly?

The time has come to retire my beloved vintage Trek touring bike. I've been looking for over a year at which bike I want to use. I commute to and from work every day, i don't own a vehicle, the bicycle is my only mode of transportation.

I've owned those carbon fiber racing bikes, hybrids, and of course the old Mt. bikes. This Trek, which was a hand me down has been my favorite by far, i personally like steel after having ridden this bike for over 2 years now.

I've looked at all of them, and I've pretty much have decided to go with the Surly Cross Check. has anyone here had a good, bad, or impartial experiences with this bike?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Site Admin

I don't own a Surly, but I've built up a couple. My impression is that they're well-made bikes and a great value. They're especially good for commuting since they have plenty of tire clearance so you can run larger rubber and still have room to put fenders on it. Their geometry is relaxed so they're stable and comfortable to ride.

If you liked your Trek touring bike, had you considered a Surly Long Haul Trucker, their touring frame? It might work better if you have a rack installed, using panniers, etc.

Regardless, Surly's are good frames - you won't be sorry if you get one.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Site Admin

Default Love my Surly

I have a crosscheck with a triple ring and panniers for touring. I love it.
I got the crosscheck over the long-haul because I use it as a commuter bike as well. Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Site Admin

Default surlys

I've got a Surly Karate Monkey and my significant other's got a Long Haul Trucker. Both frames are well-made and strong. Another guy at my work has a long haul and he's in love with it. Highly recommended and a good value to boot.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Site Admin

Default surly steamroller

i've converted my steamroller into a big-tired, fender equipped singlespeed commuter. i never really liked the fixed gear thing, but singlespeed is my style. not a whole lot to maintain (oil in chain and freewheel) and no gears to think about. i ride 48-17 and that works pretty well for my 7.5 mile commute to/from work.

in the summer i will remove the rear brake, big tires, and fenders, go back to riser handlebars and have a sub-20lb. speed bike.

for $350 a surly frame is a fairly inexpensive answer to building a workhorse.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinNE View Post
The time has come to retire my beloved vintage Trek touring bike.
Is there anything mechanically wrong with the Trek? If not, do you want to sell it? What's the year and frame size?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp071117 View Post
Is there anything mechanically wrong with the Trek? If not, do you want to sell it? What's the year and frame size?
Nothing wrong, but the bike and parts are about 30 years old. The bike was well maintained by the previous owner who toured with it across the US. It's going to need a bunch of maintenance, and I am keeping it. Retiring it, not replacing it. It's my favorite bike I've ever had, and it's taken me a long to to narrow down a my list to find a bike that i would enjoy riding every day.

I decided against the Long Haul Trucker because, it doesn't seem as versatile as the Cross Check. The Cross Check has room for both rack and fenders, which are a necessity on my bikes, as they are grocery getters, commuters, and for pleasure.

Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerinNE View Post
I decided against the Long Haul Trucker because, it doesn't seem as versatile as the Cross Check. The Cross Check has room for both rack and fenders, which are a necessity on my bikes, as they are grocery getters, commuters, and for pleasure.
I bought a Surly LHT in November of 2007 and love it. Use it for commuting and have rack and fenders mounted on it. Don't know what you mean about the Cross Check being more versatile. It is actually worse for mounting a rack AND fenders as it only has single eyelets on the back, while the LHT has double eyelets for rack and fenders. I believe, however, that the Cross Check is lighter and might be better for recreational riding. Either one is a good choice in my book.

Have you considered keeping the Trek frame you love and putting all new components on it? That would be a cheaper route and you'd still have a bike that you know you will love.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Site Admin

Default I commute on a Surly Cross Check

And I love it. It's a tank. The steel frame is a bit on the heavy side, but it handles everything. I don't stress jumping curbs, and the geometry is very stable.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Site Admin

I got a Cross Check complete as my commuter last summer, and I love it. I put fenders and a rear rack on, and use Ortlieb panniers. I did have some problem with heel strike, but once I got them dialed in it's not an issue. The one problem I do have is with toe overlap, but I've gotten used to it. I also looked at an LHT, but the wait time was significantly longer and I didn't want to wait.