Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Site Admin

Default Street sweeper, if you ask nicely

Arrgh. I've had four flats in the last three weeks, all from one section of bike lane over the Tacoma Street Bridge. Yesterday was the latest, a 1.5-inch wood screw that I never saw. Brand new tire, too. I seriously thought about getting out there myself with a broom. Either that, or switching to kevlar.

But first, I called Portland's Bike Hotline to find out if the city would please sweep that section of the lane. Did you know we have a bike hotline? I didn't. It's 503-823-2925.

Two days later, a helpful guy from the hotline called and said he had forwarded my request to the city's street maintenance crew. In future, he said, it's faster to call the maintenance folks directly. The number is 503-823-1700. The line is staffed 24/7.

UPDATE, Jan. 4: Jeff Smith from the Bike Hotline tells me the city swept the Tacoma Street Bridge the day after I called. I didn't realize it until he told me, because, to be honest, I didn't notice a big difference. Leaves and metal bits still in the bike lane. But Smith said to call them again and they'll come back.

Last edited by djstabe; 01-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up

sweet That's really good to know...
Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Site Admin

Let us know when they actually sweep the road. Its good to know that there is a direct bike hot line. I've written it down and will use it. Thanks!

That being said, since we south directed comuters were diverted off the 205 bike path on to 92nd I have made many calls directly to Mult Co road maintenance with very limited response. Its so dark and rainy now I don't even bother calling. But in the summer I called often & street sweeping, when it happened seemed more like regular scheduling than any response to me.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Site Admin

Three weeks later and they haven't swept, yet.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Site Admin

Really?!?!?!?!
Keep calling. Though I think its random. I also have a suspicion that they like to leave rocks, sand & crap on the roads during the potential freeze days. Maybe in May....
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Site Admin

Default Clackamas County Road Maintenance

I've also called Clackamas County Road Maintenance 503-557-6391 - several times. My bane is a stretch of Bob Schumaker drive between Johnson Creek and Monterey. 3 flats over the last 3 months - the most recent yesterday.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

Default who ya gonna call?

OK, i took it upon myself assemble a street maintenance phone number list, by jurisdiction -- a miracle of a little googling:
  • Portland : 503-823-1700
  • Gresham: 503-618-2626
  • Beaverton : 503-526-2220
  • Vancouver: 360-696-8177
  • ODOT Region 1: 503-731-8559
  • Washington County: 503-846-7623
  • Clackamas County: 503-557-6391
  • Multnomah county: 503-988-5050 x26797

put 'em in your cell phones, and fire away...the only trick is being able to figure out in whose juriasdiction the problem resides....
Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Great Job!!

Nice Listing bikieboy!!!

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Site Admin

I just put the phone number for the City of Portland street cleaning department in my cell phone. I've noticed a lot of broken glass in bike lanes everywhere I go, and it's frustrating that none of it ever seems to get cleaned up. I use the bike lanes on Interstate Ave., Willamette, Front Ave./Hwy30, and NE Broadway regularly, and there is always so much debris and glass that it seems like they never get swept.

The phone number is 503-823-1778. The City of Portland street cleaning website explains that only streets with curbs will be cleaned because uncurbed streets are effectively self-cleaning due to vehicles and rain dispersing debris off to the side. This policy is based on a study done 30 years ago and does not seem to take bicycles into consideration, or the fact that most debris is dispersed into the bike lane with or without a curb.