Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland to Salmon Creek P&R

Hey folks, does anybody know the best way to get to the Salmon Creek Park & Ride from Portland?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Site Admin

Talking

I don't, but i bet the brand spankin' new Vancouver bike map will help. There's one for all of Clark County, too!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Site Admin

Yep! I live in Salmon Creek, and do this ride all the time. Well, I used to before tendinitis. (grr, stupid tendon!)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1399591

Lessee... Cross the I-5 bridge, and head north on Columbia. Right on 45th Street. You'll find yourself hurtling down a hill towards Main Street. You have options here.

#1, turn left onto the sidewalk and head north on the southbound side, (I know, wrong way on the sidewalk, but it really is a Bike Route!) which will take you to a left turn through bollards, down a hill on rotten pavement behind a car body shop, to Hazel Dell Avenue. #2, turn left at the light, onto the sidewalk, (to access the alternate Bike Route) which will soon become an offroad path; you'll find a T intersection on this path, turn left and you'll eventually wind up on Hazel Dell Avenue. #3, turn left onto Main, take the left lane until you get to the left turn lane onto Hazel Dell Avenue, and turn left.

Once that's over, head north on Hazel Dell Avenue for a few miles. Eventually you'll get to 117th Street, the high speed sweeping right turn lane will take you on to that road. Head east to Highway 99, it's the big intersection with the signal lights. Turn left, head north across the skinny bridge, and up the hill you go! Straight through the first light at the top of the hill, turn left at the second, and when you get to the end of that road sneak off into a parking lot and use the crosswalks to get to the northwest corner, which is the Park and Ride.

One thing to keep in mind: Just to the north of the 117th Street and Highway 99 intersection is the Klineline Bridge. It's currently being held up with a dump truck load or two of loose boulders. I'm not kidding. So if the water level in Salmon Creek is high, the bridge may be closed. At which point you'll need to make a detour, like so:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1399605

East on 117th Street, north on Salmon Creek Avenue, west on 134th Street, to the Park and Ride. This little part of 134th Street handles I-205 traffic, I-5 traffic, Highway 99 traffic, and all of these make a neat bottleneck that routes most of the surface street traffic in the general area through this street as well. And there's no bike lane or shoulder through the thickest of it. If you're up for playing in traffic, I've done it before and it's not as bad as it looks. Otherwise, well, you know what to expect! It's a short walk on the sidewalk to skip the bad part.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Site Admin

Thanks, Wumpus, for such an in-depth set of directions! I also just got the new Vancouver map in the mail today so it makes that much more sense.

Thanks again!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Site Admin

Just an update if anyone's headed out to Salmon Creek:
The Klineline bridge is closed, for at least the next year or probably more, and there's even a Clark County deputy parked there to make sure no one sets foot on it! (you shaaall not paaaaass!!!) Plan on a 1-2 mile detour over Salmon Creek Avenue, or 3-6 miles around through Felida.

In addition, C-Tran is still recovering from the November 18th reshuffling of nearly every single route and schedule. In the meantime, they forgot to plan for the bridge closure, so Salmon Creek transit service has become, well, there aren't any polite words available to describe it. We're down to a single surface street route, which is a van "scheduled" to run hourly, and is now carrying a lot of students who used to bicycle or walk over the now-closed bridge to one of the four public schools up here and WSU. One rider I talked to counted 28 passengers (on a van!) before the driver started turning people away.