Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Ride/Event Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Site Admin

Default 82nd Ave Traffic Safety Open House

An opportunity to influence traffic safety policy or and near 82nd Avenue...

Date: Tuesday December 4, 2007
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Street: 3618 SE 79th Ave (at Rhone St)
City State Zip: Portland, OR
Phone: Contact Kirsty Hall at 503-823-6981

Notes: Please join the City of Portland Office of Transportation (PDOT) and Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) for three 82nd Avenue of Roses Open Houses to review the engineering, enforcement, and education-based solutions proposed for implementation over the next two years to improve transportation safety along the roadway

PDOT has spent the past year meeting community, business and neighborhood members, collecting feedback leading to the development of a Transportation Safety Action Plan for the 82nd Avenue of Roses - Portland's worst high crash corridor. The plan will cover NE Killingsworth Street to SE Clatsop Street, and will identify improvements within the existing right-of-way. The proposed improvements will allow the corridor to continue to serve vehicles, transit and pedestrians while utilizing traffic safety tools to reduce injuries and fatalities for all modes of transportation using or crossing this seven mile stretch of roadway.

The 82nd Avenue of Roses has the highest rate of traffic crashes for an arterial street in the City of Portland. It saw 3747 reported crashes between 1997 and 2006, including 119 involving pedestrians, and 11 fatalities. The Action Plan is intended to provide quick response solutions to a wide variety of motorist, pedestrian, bicyclist and transit-related transportation safety issues that have been identified along the corridor through community input and technical analysis.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks for the reminder, Michael

I would've forgotten. As it was, I made it over there for a little while. I had my daughter with me, so I didn't get myself as informed as I would've liked, as she became quite needy as soon as I started talking with someone, I can't even remember which PDOT person I talked to. I got the fancy handout and I look forward to reading it.

I can't even imagine what I thought I would see at an information session about safety on 82nd, but then it struck me after I returned home. I think that somewhere in the back of my mind I had a fantasy about a plan to change people's behavior. I realize that 82nd needs some improvement, and I like some of the new and improved crossings they're putting in - I'm mostly excited about the crossing at SE Francis, that's where we cross to go to the doctor - but I'm having a hard time imagining the vast majority of the daily users around here shaping up and flying right after they put in a few crosswalk extensions and flashing pedestrian lights. It's just a free for all. A few of the things I asked about, like extending bike lane markings through intersections so that a few uneducated drivers might be able to envision a shared right of way, were just too expensive, required road widening or eliminating left turn lanes, etc. Then, of course, my daughter....

Well, it was my first PDOT open house. I can't wait to go to another. Maybe I'll have a better idea of what to look for, what to ask, etc.

Again, thanks for the reminder.