Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Site Admin

Unhappy Beware of This

I was riding my Specialized Sirrus down Lovejoy a few months ago when my front fork snapped on both sides. I was thrown forward landing on my right arm. i had a bad compund fracture, after two surgeries they were able to secure the bones with a couple metal plates, but i haven't been able to return to work since, and don't know if I ever will be able to. I realize that anything can be faulty, but I have to say my next bike purchase definitely won't be a Specialized!!!

Last edited by tlawrence; 11-28-2007 at 06:08 AM. Reason: icon
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Site Admin

ow that hurts, sorry to hear about your crash... what year is your sirrus, and does it have a carbon fork? Are you under warranty for it? if so you should get specialized on the horn and give them an earful and more. hope you get better.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Site Admin

Default Providence

I understand Providence has a program for helping people with medical bills. You can find info on their website. http://www.providence.org/Oregon/Pro...default.htmBut would have to get your treatment through them. Although I would think you should be able to eventually be able to get a fat settlement for selling you such a piece of crap bike. Hey how about holding a ride in benefit bike concert to raise money?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Site Admin

tlawrence, have you done anything to determine why the Specialized Sirrus's fork snapped? It seems extraordinary that something like this could have happened. I remember reading on an ad on craigslist sometime back, about a steel frame bike that had an aluminum fork that was known to sometimes fail. Not sure I can remember the brand, but it was an older, maybe 20-25 year old bike. Seems like Specialized makes pretty solid bikes. I'm sure Specialized would be very interested in knowing the details of an incident that would cause a key component of one of their products to fail. It's a big company...if faulty materials or construction is responsible for the component failure, they'd have the bucks to cover the damage.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Site Admin

Providence does have a financial assistance program. You can call 503.215.6494 or go to any Providence Hospitial (Milwaukie, Prov Portland, St V's) and go to the business office. Take your 2006 1040, recent pay stubs (and your wife's), & rental agreement. If you qualify they knock ~40% of all your outstanding and future bills. They then apply a formula based on your level of need from 0-100% of the remaining 60%.
You can also use you car's PIP insurance up to whatever limit it has. You would ned to talk to your agent. When I had a bad accident a few years ago my Regence insurance refused to pay claims unti,l I exhausted my PIP. Its actually easier to use than health insurance. No copays or deductibles. If its related it pays. I had a very skilled LMT trained in "energy work" (don't ask me. I just know she did it and it helped) work on me weekly and I attribute a very large degree of regaining full function to her.